2 hours ago, Spoonman said:

It really seems the ports I want go to the wrong places! Touch annoying.

Tell me about it!

I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy ANOTHER ps4 and fucking chain the bastard thing to my desk or something.

That'll be the fifth, I'm not kidding. These little pinhead dwarf creatures keep taking them off me.

They sometimes release on switch and the bone too, but all the M2 stuff is on PS4, innit? That's their console of choice?

Hopefully once sony have actually got physical PS5s people can buy you'll start seeing lots of cheap PS4's flying about.

I just wish everything was on PC, it's so much less hassle!

Ooh, Cosmodreamer has gotten an extra stage! - https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1424630/view/2957143023752075819

Did anyone else play this? It's great! Only thing is you have to play through all the stages individually before it'll let you tackle them all at once like a proper shmup, but it's canny good training and it's fun.

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

They sometimes release on switch and the bone too, but all the M2 stuff is on PS4, innit? That's their console of choice?

I suppose so, yes!

I still have my 360, which is definitely the console of choice for shmups, for me, but PS4 could be fun. I don't have a shmup on that system yet, and have had it since launch. I should really play more games on it, I suppose. I am trying to use my switch more in 2021, as last year was a joke. There are some good shooters on that system.

I have a modded virtua stick high grade which I can use on the PS4. That's all I need, really. 

Yeah, I've still got my Japanese 360 and a drawer full of shmups. That's not going anywhere.

The pinhead dwarfs don't seem interested in the switch at all, weirdly, so that's been collecting dust since I got it. It's a total lag fest though, I'd rather not use it for shmupping if there's an alternative.

I'll be waiting around forever for M2 to embrace pc gaming so I'll just get another ps4 when I see one going relatively cheap.

It seems like such a decadent purchase though for only a handful of games. Everything I want to play is on pc except for a handful of good shmups, but they're like really, good shmups! (that I can emulate)

I'll wait until aleste branch is out, then I'll not be able to resist!

3 hours ago, Triple A said:

Looks really cool. (though am a little unsure about enemy bullets casting shadows as in the first tweet/gif)

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that. I'll mention it if it's an issue once the demo is out, I'm sure they'd be happy to hear that kind of feedback and maybe add a toggle for it in the options.

Picked up Overpower, Rolling Gunner's DLC. Bit pricey eh? 

Very enjoyable mode, it is quite different and more like a twin-stick shooter, and the fact bullets are absorbed is strange and makes it considerably easier - I got a 1cc on Novice on my first go when tired and slightly inebriated. Onto higher difficulty modes methinks.

I remember seeing that at launch and wanted to try it :D I was waiting for the (ahem) unofficial demo to surface and it never did so I clean forgot all about it. Is it any cop?

I nearly wrote is it any "carp" there. That's the sort of thing you internet people like, innit? Fish puns?

9 hours ago, hazeredmist said:

I got a 1cc on Novice on my first go when tired and slightly inebriated.

Yas man!

I forgot it had different difficulty settings. I don't think I got round to trying the expert mode. Maybe the porridge is just right there.

Pre patch on PC it had some real performance issues on lower end systems (game speed is tied to framerate because of course it is, ex cave devs) and it was dipping to like single digit fps at times, but since I've played deathsmiles 2, I just assumed that was the sort of thing they were going for!

Really hypnotic and relaxing :lol:

New game being made by the Vritra devs

Looks cutesy and spooksy, good fun!

Had a go on the demo of this the other day - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1390290/RetroShooti/

Has some nice little ideas, cute little touches that would elevate a middling game. Unfortunately they feel exactly like what they are here, cheap gimmicks slapped on top of a dull waste of time. Such a shame as it wouldn't take much to fix this up into something worth playing.

Finally watched the AGDQ Muchi Muchi Pork run. That was down to the wire at the end there! Enjoyable to watch even though I hadn’t played it myself.

13 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

That's the sort of thing you internet people like, innit? Fish puns?

Just puns here, doesn’t have to be fished themed, so It’s a great oppor-tuna-ty!

Please don't, you'll set them off.

Yeah, the MMP run was great fun, was sure he was gonna lose it all at the end!

Here, how do people feel about folk posting shmup-adjacent games like qazimod did with fishticuffs there?

Is this a shmup thread for shmup people, or is it OK?

Alien Death Mob looks like it'll be crazy fun.

and I saw this today too, looks like it's gonna be a fun monolith alike

Whack it all in, I say. Gives it a bit of the spotlight. 

I picked up the Aleste Collection on the Switch. Haven't played much of anything in a while but I'll buy all the M2 stuff just to encourage them to keep going. It's not really the kind of thing I prefer within the genre but after initially feeling a bit underwhelmed, I ended up playing way past my bed time and really getting a feel for them. As with the Darius Console Collection, there's something very loveable and warm about the limitations of 'old hardware' and the creative ingenuity this demands of the software. It's potentially very gimmicky for M2 to make a brand new Aleste title for the actual Game Gear but when you play through the original games and then go back to GG Aleste 3, it feels like a labour of love. It's the first game I've woken up and wanted to play in quite a while. 

4 hours ago, Marlew said:

I picked up the Aleste Collection on the Switch. 

Physical or digital? I keep uhming and ahing about this. I bought ESP ra.de on release digitally, but havent' really got into it. I should give it another go, really. I think the music didn't gel with me much... or something. It also pisses me off that I have to get out my wired headphones for the switch, but that's another rant for another thread.

I really like the limited edition set with GG Micro, but perhaps that's literally throwing money away on something impractical and stupid.

Part of my wants nice little boxes of Switch games, then I think I never sell the games I like anyway, so I may as well get them digitally... :/

@ImmaculateClump

Wow. They are fucking awesome. That washing machine one! Imagine...A post-Covid visit to Arcade Club, got my Darius fish bosses T-shirt on, rocking my hot pink Dodonpachi Saidaioujou baseball jacket and probably some knock-off Ray-Bans I bought for the occasion. As I walk in the place there's suddenly that deafening WARNING WARNING WARNING synth stab noise from Ketsui and the owner of Arcade Club gets on the PA system like 'Approach your target and attack! Your mission starts now!' and everyone freezes as I stride towards the DOJ cab, sanitise my hands out of habit and pull up the stool. The whole place is silent. You can hear a nerd drop a fried onion off his hotdog and everyone turns and glares. I nod at the boss and they turn off all the other machines out of respect. 

The tension is fucking unbearable

After about ten seconds that feel like a week one guy just can't keep it together any more and roars 'LET'S GO JUSTIN!' and suddenly everyone is going apeshit although that's not my name. Even so I can't help but crack a massive grin and I punch the air once to ecstatic applause. Some other guy literally shits himself with excitement. A dozen babes turn up from nowhere and they just start screaming, like a kind of hysterical folie a douze, and the owner is like please chill here is an Irn-Bru on the house ladies.

My goal is clear: A full chain on stage one of Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label on an authentic PCB. I've got to block out the noise of the crowd and the rolling boil of ecstatic anticipation and just execute. You been there a thousand times, buddy. Ten thousand times. A million thousand times. Hours and hours dreaming and daydreaming about your route. Muscle memory twitching through your fingers as you visualise that big burning boner melting the zako waves. Night after night grinding away, family and friends ignored, plans cancelled in the pursuit of perfection. Controllers you smashed. Controllers you didn't smash. A broken footstool which you had to lie about and basically got away with it. Bruises. Fractures. RSI. Three minutes of satisfaction, three of minutes of video crowbarred into every tangential conversation until your deathbed. When are you they gonna monetise your damn channel? Hell of a retirement plan, buddy. It was all worth it. All leading up to this moment.

Dropped the chain at 106 hits of course lol 

37 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Physical or digital? 

Digital, yeah. I got a PlayAsia code for about £38 or something. I don't own any physical Switch games apart from BotW which came with it. I decided to go all digital way back when I got it, suits the format much better for me even if I don't play it much in handheld. Actually, I have Darius Cozmic Collection somewhere because that was physical only at first but I later bought it digital as well because I'm a lazy twat. 

ESP is really good but there's a slightly strange rhythm to be it which I've never got the hang of. I also find the hit boxes really hard to read and predict and it's one I'm just crap at. I much prefer Espgaluda and its sequel now that the dust has settled. 

That’s the most beautiful thing I’ve read in a long time @Marlew. I hope I’m there when that happens!

Did a couple of runs of Dangun last night as I happened to actually have the stick out for once. Managed to get through Fever mode by spamming bombs when I wasn’t busy getting out of the way of things! Not the bombs that kill everything, those were saved for when I sucked, but the bombs that slowly go up the screen and kill everything. I have no specific plan for them so I end up trying to keep one close to each side and one in the middle just in case. My favourite was setting up 8 on the approach to the boss for a nice burst of damage at the start, only for them to travel too far up the screen while the boss entered below them and then I had to wait for them to go before firing more :lol:

30 minutes ago, Marlew said:

they turn off all the other machines out of respect.

Huge laugh :lol:

5 hours ago, Marlew said:

Well, I'm getting the distinct impression that not everyone shares my unbridled enthusiasm for pc games that aren't even fucking out yet, so I'll knock that on the head.

"I've been playing this for a few days and it's really good" is probably the better approach.

7 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Managed to get through Fever mode by spamming bombs when I wasn’t busy getting out of the way of things!

Still counts! I'm looking forward to dipping into these arrange modes!

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Well, I'm getting the distinct impression that not everyone shares my unbridled enthusiasm for pc games that aren't even fucking out yet, so I'll knock that on the head.

"I've been playing this for a few days and it's really good" is probably the better approach.

Even though I don’t usually reply to them I do like seeing them! It’s nice to see the enthusiasm as well.

I’m OK with shmup adjacent things appearing here as well. I’d probably miss it if it was posted elsewhere and it’s good to know about these things.

3 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Is Natsuki Chronicles good? It’s outrageously priced. 

I would say good but not great. I ummed and ahhed for ages because I kind of wanted to support it, and support any shmups coming to Xbox in case Cave suddenly decided to push backwards compatibility with the 360 stuff, but it's not really in the same class. Is Ginga Force now available on the Xbox? If so, I'd get that instead by the same people. Or if you haven't already, the M2 Battle Garegga which is the primo ShotTriggers release on any platform, I reckon. 

I’ve got Battle Garegga and just bought Dangun Feveron. I was just having a look at what else was there while I was ‘in Germany’. Looks like the others are available here though. 

I’ve got Mushi, DDP and Deathsmiles, plus about 50 more, on PC and I’ll never get through them but I do like collecting shmups for some reason. 

The only one I’ve ever 1cc’d is Deathsmiles. 

Eschatos is definitely their masterpiece, it's brilliant! It's pretty much judgement silversword 2.0 and the music is immense!

Don't let the graphics put you off. Even the biggest eschatos stans would admit that it looks like everything's made of gaudy plastic.

I haven't played natsuki chronicles yet, nearly caved and got it on xbone when it came out a few christmases ago, but it's due this year on pc - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1175190/Natsuki_Chronicles/

I've been looking forward to that and was kinda hoping it'd be an eschatos killer, so I'm hoping it's one of those game me and Marlew don't agree on!

Natsuki seems to be cut from the same cloth as Ginga (non-standard single-mission structure, extensive ship-customisation/shopping features, generous extends and general lack of emphasis on 1LC perfection, etc), which I still think is one of the strongest (if slightly oddball) shmups of the last decade, so it's a real shame to hear it doesn't quite match up. 

It's very likely more that it's not to my taste than anything else. I don't generally like horis and I didn't ever especially click with Eschatos or Ginga, even if I quite liked them. 

kD9lKpc.jpg

qRr3Ofe.jpg

7WXwUkH.jpg

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES! Thought I was gonna have a heart attack at the end there :D

Finally! I've been trying to do that all pigging week! Jesus, that true last boss is a nightmare!

Woooohooooo! Sort of wanna play this for score now, but I don't think I ever wanna meet that guy again. Might just move onto something else.

Yaaaas! I was on form! You know when you're just in the zone and you're thinking "Balls to Patrick Moore's disembodied head. I am the games master!"

They should redo that show but instead of news and competitions and stuff it'd just me flexing my muscles for half an hour.

Says I'm not allowed to dish any more hearts out. I think I might be using them wrong. When people talk to me in real life, I smile politely and nod encouragingly, I'm using them like that. I'll knock that on the head.

Which one's that again? Good skills! Sounds like a bruiser. 

And yeah I was listening to a gaming podcast the other week and they were like 'I'm really conscious of being that guy who likes everything on Twitter' and I thought, huh, yeah, that's me. I'm being encouraging, as well as saying 'good stuff'. I'm not trying to curry favour. If anything, it's more patronising than reverent, but fundamentally it's just saying yeah, good effort, I liked that. It's more like, you've made an effort, I'm saying well done, it's is appreciated and acknowledged. Keep it up. 

I strained my elbow opening a fucking jammed door, by the way. Total wreck. GG Aleste 3 on the back burner. Might have to fight through though, such a cracking game. 

This thread was often pretty barren, I'd pos anything in here because, I don't know, it was exciting seeing anyone post something I guess. Now there's loads of stuff in here I sort of pos random stuff, I don't know what I'm doing or why. :D

Edit - congrats Mr Clump!

11 hours ago, Marlew said:

Which one's that again? Good skills! Sounds like a bruiser.

Oh, sorry. It's solid state survivor - http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/win95/game/se465128.html

It's very blue wish, and like that game there's autobomb where you only lose one bomb at a time (I saw someone on the shmups forum had worked it out and he said you could get hit 21 times in total once you'd gotten the hidden extra lives and the extends from scoring), so it's pretty forgiving for survival, all told, but the bullets are a lot faster and you don't get the snail pace slowdown like you do in blue wish.

Finding your strategy for some of the bosses tricksier patterns and learning to deal with some parts of the stages where they throw a lot, and different types, of enemies at you at once was the most of it.

You do extra damage up close, which you start to do more and more as you get more comfortable. It pays you to be aggressive at times, but you also have to know when to hang back too.

It was really good fun! It's a ten from Len, but then I pretty much fall in love with whatever old shit I'm currently playing, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

I usually have to wait a good few months before I can step back and compare something against the best in the genre and give a fair score.

'I'm really conscious of being that guy who likes everything on Twitter'

Oh god, can you imagine, brightening up someone's day, making them feel happy and confident about sharing something online. It doesn't bare thinking about.

I strained my elbow opening a fucking jammed door, by the way.

Bloody hell, try and use you legs for everything from now on, just go around kicking tea cups into the sink, you can't risk any more damage.

11 hours ago, spatular said:

congrats Mr Clump!

Thanks, sweetness!