Marlew loves it!

Check out the demo of the guys new game if you get the chance, Raging blasters, you get the full 3 minute caravan stage with the leaderboard enabled.

7Ts55P7.jpg

Feels like christmas! :omg:

Dangun's fever arrange mode is soooo much fun!

This guy's got the skinny on how to take off the stabilisers and start properly scoring - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1253013#p1253013

13 hours ago, Marlew said:

@ImmaculateClump Whit woo! Console wars 'r' us! :D

All my nephews friends play on the ps4 as well so that's where he does all his console gaming nowadays.

We're team blue all the way!

Gonna cut M$ out of my life entirely. Probably just gonna download some linux distro and waste the rest of my life trying to get doujin games running on my pc.

Maybe just get some tats, grow a neat beard and buy a mac, find a grid big enough to stuff my xbox and desktop down.

I think the secret to scoring in that dangun fever arrange is to not be shy with your bombs. That's where most of my points seem to be coming from, blowing up screens full of bullets and enemies. I think if you bomb the big enemies that drop loads of cyborgs, that's good too. I'll have to experiment.

I got over 22 million but there's a guy on there with like 50 odd or something like that!

I love it! It tones the game down to the perfect difficulty where you don't have to worry about survival and can concentrate on scoring completely, seems like it'll really improve my game in the main mode too. It's a nice way of getting familiar with the stages and different enemies and boss patterns.

Hopefully get a chance to try aleste 3 tomorrow!

edit: Aaaaah, you meant that you'd bought Aleste for the switch?
Jesus christ, I'm thick as fuck.

Raging Blasters is up for sale now - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1464550/RagingBlasters/

14 hours ago, geldra said:

@Marlew Missile Dancer: Caravan - 217390 :facepalm:

Edit: 314520. Oh yeah, this is good! :)

348375. Interesting!!!! Where the flip have you got an extra 100K from?

2 hours ago, geldra said:

348375. Interesting!!!! Where the flip have you got an extra 100K from?

I think my biggest chain was around 40 or something. The boss which has those mini ships breaking off is the most lucrative I think. Pretty tough to keep it going though. Looking forward to feeling the heat! :D

21 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

7Ts55P7.jpg

Where do you get JPN credit from for the PS purchases? I think I set up PayPal on my Switch... can the same be done on PS or should I use play Asia etc?

22 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

7Ts55P7.jpg

Where's Mahou Daisakusen? ;-)

Seriously though, nice!  You're pushing me to getting some JP PS Store credit, to pick up the Aleste Collection (that's the one I'm missing).

1 minute ago, Marlew said:

@Spoonman What the fuck! I've tried that a dozen times. Couldn't tell you how much I've wasted on PlayAsia fees over the years. 

Well, I don't have a japanese credit card, so i can't remember how I got anything on the paypal balance, but that is a whole other problem, I guess! Let me know if I can help with this, not that I feel I can really!

My dilemma right now is do I go physical with any of the PS4 releases or just do the dirty digital?

I am not convinced on the Aleste GG micro edition as it is a lot of money for what is essentially a gimmick key chain I will never use. For some reason, the whole low-bit graphics thing seems that it would sit better on Switch in handheld (like a GG) rather than a 50 inch TV but i might be wrong.

This is what I was doing last night, but I would like to give M2 (and CAVE?!) some money.

image.png.5799cc4dd249b4388f0a4d8bd79075ce.png

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

Where do you get JPN credit from for the PS purchases? I think I set up PayPal on my Switch... can the same be done on PS or should I use play Asia etc?

Yeah, I just went with playasia, I could remember marlew mentioning that that's where he got his, you get the codes instantly - https://www.play-asia.com/search/psn+yen

You have to set up a separate japanese account, that was a bit of a ballache, I did that on the pc instead so I could translate everything.

Setting up a US account was a lot easier and some of the games were cheaper on there so I'd recommend you do that for dangun, ketsui and garegga if you ever get those ones.

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

Where's Mahou Daisakusen? ;-)

I was umming and ahhing over that, I think I'd definitely spent enough money for one day though!

I'll definitely grab it at some point. Not tried that game yet.

I've not really been playing games much since hammering Dariusburst and Thunder Force III over the summer so I totally missed that Ketsui was finally out on the US store. Had also forgotten that there's been credit waiting there for it for years as well, so it felt like getting it for free!

Had a quick blast on the super easy mode for the usual strangely satisfying rush of unlocking 100 trophies in 20 minutes and while I did get through with a couple of lives left it didn't feel anything like as comfortable as the Garegga/Feveron ones. Seeing the sheer amount of kamikaze enemies and watered down versions of some of the boss tricks has given me pre-traumatic stress disorder just contemplating the real thing.

Gonna leave that as a little taster though as I'd started on ZeroRanger. It's good, without a doubt, but at the moment I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't absolutely love it. Structurally it seems a bit unusual though and before I bought it I saw comments suggesting that 'things might happen at some point' so I'll keep plugging away and see if it clicks.

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

You have to set up a separate japanese account, that was a bit of a ballache, I did that on the pc instead so I could translate everything.

Setting up a US account was a lot easier and some of the games were cheaper on there so I'd recommend you do that for dangun, ketsui and garegga if you ever get those ones.

I actually set up a Japanese account in a few mins (used to live there but weirdly, was on xbox at the time), and was all prepped to get the aforementioned games, but yes, you're right, they're cheaper on the US store (not by much) and presumably they'll be in English, which is a nice bonus!

I am tempted to get Ketsui and Garegga physical, if they exist, but not sure they need to be. I wouldnt sell them, i just like having physical.

Ok, American account set up, but I can’t use my PayPal nor credit card. PayPal regions are wrong (my Japanese PayPal account was how i got around the switch, I remember now) and the credit card is U.K. or Europe based. 

looks like tomorrow morning I’ll make a PayPal account in the USA and transfer myself money, or something. 

what a pain. I want to give CAVE and M2 money, but if I can’t get this done in a few hours I’ll stick to MAME 

You can get american credit here - https://www.play-asia.com/search/psn+usd

1 hour ago, Rsdio said:

ZeroRanger

I felt like that when it came out, I thought I was the only one that wasn't falling absolutely head over heels with it, but it's a real grower!

Stick with it. It really starts to pick up in the second loop.

I'm not a fan of the meta shit or the unsubtle references, the story, and all the other things people seem to wet themselves over, but the meat of spunk of it, the game, as a modern take on the old school memorisers, it's one of the best!

Try the "white vanilla" or "light mode".

It's called a different thing depending on whether you've 1cc'ed the game, I think.

They patched it in last year and it's excellent, easily the star of the show.

It's a leaner, more scoring focused arrange mode.

Scoring is all about speedkilling everything, killing as many enemies as you can, and not getting hit.

I'd stick with that for now until you decide to tackle the long campaign.

It's a pretty flabby campaign and a 2all will take you 50 minutes and it takes a lot of chipping away to learn the game. It does start to feel great once you learn the game and start getting really good at it, but aye, it takes a while to show it's charms.

That arrange mode, it's just bamn, great fun right from the get go!

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

I actually set up a Japanese account in a few mins (used to live there but weirdly, was on xbox at the time), and was all prepped to get the aforementioned games, but yes, you're right, they're cheaper on the US store (not by much) and presumably they'll be in English, which is a nice bonus!

I am tempted to get Ketsui and Garegga physical, if they exist, but not sure they need to be. I wouldnt sell them, i just like having physical.

There is a Korean release of Garegga and a Jp release of Ketsui.

28 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Ok, American account set up, but I can’t use my PayPal nor credit card. PayPal regions are wrong (my Japanese PayPal account was how i got around the switch, I remember now) and the credit card is U.K. or Europe based.

I've used these guys many a time, no problems and it's pennies more than the actual exchange rate (sometimes less on the odd times they have a promotion). IIRC they might be one of those sites where you have a verification process on the first order though, it's been a while since I registered with them.

19 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I felt like that when it came out, I thought I was the only one that wasn't falling absolutely head over heels with it, but it's a real grower!

Stick with it. It really starts to pick up in the second loop.

I'm not a fan of the meta shit or the unsubtle references, the story, and all the other things people seem to wet themselves over, but the meat of spunk of it, the game, as a modern take on the old school memorisers, it's one of the best!

Try the "white vanilla" or "light mode".

It's called a different thing depending on whether you've 1cc'ed the game, I think.

They patched it in last year and it's excellent, easily the star of the show.

Thanks, I'll keep going then. It's one of those weird ones where I don't really have any meaningful criticisms of it at all, everything is 'good' but for some reason I feel no pull to return to it and when I die I just think 'not sure I can be arsed trying again' rather than 'let's try and do better next time'. Bounced off it a few months back the same way before deleting my progress (?) and starting again but the praise is so unusually high for it I feel like I must definitely be the problem.

Been playing some missile dancer, didnt really like it at the start, the missiles are hard to see, and not keen on checkpoints. But its definitely growing on me, quite enjoying it now. Got a 1cc on the normal mode (the easiest mode), and played some of the time attack - 391’585. Im pretty crap at the chaining, been trying to lock onto less stuff at a time to get bigger chains - no idea of thats good for scoring or not.

@spatular I found it weird at first to think about destroying enemy projectiles rather than dodging them. Quite unnatural but once that clicked, and the chaining, that's when I started to really get into it. For the chains, you definitely want to be delaying your lock-on, that's right. The missiles are also definitely from the Garegga school of visibility, I agree. 

9 hours ago, Rsdio said:

I've used these guys many a time, no problems and it's pennies more than the actual exchange rate (sometimes less on the odd times they have a promotion). IIRC they might be one of those sites where you have a verification process on the first order though, it's been a while since I registered with them.

Thanks. Just registered with them (in German!) so the order is pending. 35$ came to like 32€ (rather than 28.75€) because of "activation fees" but that's still pretty good and allowed me to use PayPal.

Thanks all for the tips. Once I get the cards, I will purchase Dangun.

Same here, the Brook UFB and Retro Board have me sorted! Although I'm still eyeing up a modded Dreamcast stick, partly because I'm a rube who thinks there's something magical about playing on an "official" DC stick, and partly because some games have issues when trying to load data from the p2 port whilst playing on the p1 port, so it'd be good to have the VMU in the stick itself.

As for the 8BitDo one, it looks really nice but it's presumably about the same in terms of build quality as a Mayflash F300, which can still be had for about £50. I dunno, but I'd at least wait until that Shmup Junkie guy posts an extensive lag test before buying. :D