2 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Mecha Ritz is great isn't it? It's a deceptively good design which wasn't at all evident to me after the first couple of games. The kicker is that it's easy to complete which then encourages better and more difficult play to beat your score. The rank system is perfectly judged, adding more complex bullet patterns to up the difficulty in a really smooth way. It’s an absolute steal for the price.

Yeah, the rank system feels really organic, doesn't it?
Instead of going up and down in clunky chunks, it's like you're constantly riding the wave, the game meets you at your skill level and the harder you push, the harder it pushes back.

The whole "glitchy" look, sound and feel works really well.

8 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

Neko navy keeps coming up in peoples suggestions. It's really that good huh?

It's wonderful!

BCDTHNi.jpg

Folded and picked up the following to round off my steam sale.
Fire Arrow Plus, Jet Blaster, Judgement Silverswotrd, Xiizeal & Deltazeal, Don'Yoku, Zenohell & Zenodyne R, Mecha Ritz.

Left Neko Navy because I found out there is a nintendo switch version with new balancing and modes so I'll wait for that to go on sale.

I'm going to be busy. Across all the games I've purchased in the sale I'll have to put 40 hours in to get my money's worth, thankfully that won't be too difficult when that includes the likes of Super XYX which will easily eat up half that time on its own.

Aaaaaw, you're right.

Rebalanced stages - harder DEATH difficulty!
Infinite fun with the new ∞ Mode!

I want harder death difficulty!

Bloody switch is like the hardcore shmup console! :lol:

Death mode is where it's at, by the way, loads more opportunity to score and refill your bomb meter. It's chaos but you're just bombing loads more so it's not really that much harder. You're cancelling so many bullets and it's way more fun.

Yeah man, that lot should keep you busy!

Westgunne looks like it's gonna be neat. Loving those little dangly legs.

Look at this, absolutely hateful individual. Who hurt you, boghog?

I must have missed this last week, serflash reviewed teslapunk.

I can't agree with him about the sound and music, that's like one of the games main strengths, I think, the way some of the stages and music fit together, it's really striking.

I'm addicted to Jet Blaster. Found bosses are the only thing in the game that really gives me trouble so I'm trying to bombless boss rush before I go for the 1CC. It's a struggle and I should just watch a replay but then I'd spend less time playing in the long run. It's fun to figure out these strategies.

It's Jet Buster, buster!

hate to be a pedant, but just in case someone reading is looking for it :D

Yeah, man! Half the fun of these games is figuring out that sort of stuff for yourself.

Hate that when a new indie shmup comes out and people are like "Why haven't people been playing for 25 years already? Where is the detailed strategy guide? Where is the superplayer replay I can copy?"

If you can handle the faster speed of the ninja lad (Arashi), that might help you with some of the bosses. His shot is really powerful. Get right up close to the boss and deal lots of damage after you panic bomb. There are a load of i-frames.

I really love the risk/reward of pushing your luck with the medal system.
Is there enough time left in the stage to build up to the next medal rank? Or do I start cashing out now?
Do I want to play it safe and use my focus shot during this tricky bit or throw caution to the wind and keep sucking in the medals?

Stage 1 music. Innit?

Changed character in Mahou Daisakusen from the dragon to the potato nosed lad and got a bit further through stage 6 so I might stick with him for a few nights and see if it helps. There's a ninja you fight on stage 6 which is my current brick wall. He's a right pain in the chuff.

Void Gore from the project starship lads. Doesn't look like it's been announced for pc for some reason.

PS4, switch, xbone. 17th February. Looks like it might be worth a try.

The trailer isn't on their official youtube and there's no mention of it on their steam developers upcoming page - https://store.steampowered.com/curator/37125467

"Endless depths of hell" makes it sound like it's an endless proc gen sort of deal and with the buyable upgrades, I'm assuming it's a roguelite.

Reminds me of that Rheum game I was playtesting a few years ago, but backwards.

Looks like it might be alright!

Doesn't look like the score was going up when they were collecting coins, so that's just for the upgrades. Would be good if you could cash them in for score at the shop.

The focus speed in starship x was so slow, it was totally unusable, I hope they've fixed that for this release.

Thanks for the earlier encouragement to stick with ZeroRanger, @ImmaculateClump. I think the main campaign probably has a trick or two left for me as far as the true (?) last boss goes but I'm still a bit ambivalent about it, it's a kind of a slog length-wise so I'd be surprised if I ended up being motivated enough to try to 1cc it. White Vanilla is almost the polar opposite and as tight as they come. I've only had a few goes but got to the TLB (again, ?) on my last try so it seems pretty manageable once you've got some ways to deal with the bullshit down from the main game.

I pretty much just use the ship B main and back shots with the drill where it feels intended and the Soukyugurentai lock-on for background enemies once in a blue moon. Settling on a 'loadout' definitely helped me start to learn things better, as you'd expect.

It's weird, I've often thought it was daft how horis and verts are almost different genres but I think the fact that ZeroRanger bucks that trend is part of why I struggled early on. It was immediately obvious it had heavy memorizer elements but I still couldn't quite get myself to start approaching it like one and just kept trying to dodge everything. There's so much you can almost skip once you've figured out how.

Nice one, Rsdio! Yeah, white vanilla is way more fun, isn't it?

You don't have to take it, but if I was to go back and offer myself a piece of advice, I'd say "I know the drill feels safer, but trust me, switch to the sword."

Check in the options, you can bind a button that's solely used for c weapon autofire.

When you switch to the sword, hold down on this and go ape.

I think I beat the main game with the drill, but tried the sword out one day while playing white vanilla and it's godly!

Really good for the last boss in that mode.

Twitch VOD of someone playing Void Gore if you're interested.

It went up for sale last night, £3.99 - https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP2005-CUSA25939_00-VOIDGORE00000000

Haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Just realised, that's the first game I've actually bought on my UK account!

Ooh, Lapis X Labyrinth is on sale as well! I'll have some of that - https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP1063-CUSA14697_00-LAPISLABYRINTHEU

Finally got around to installing and playing Sine Mora EX last night.

Oh my what a lovely game. Like the time mechanic of the game and the visuals are stunning (supports 4K) . Also didn't realise the music was composed by Akira Yamaoka of Silent Hill fame.

So glad I picked this up in the steam sale too. Exceptional value. Don't have a clue what is going on in the "story" though :D  

Gawd's sake, I got this far and the game just decided to stop spawning enemies.

jQEmE2S.jpg

This is why we release on PC first!
How do I even report a bug on PS4?

GPMnjfO.jpg

This is great, but I'd love to have a few more options to turn off the flashing hud and stuff.

It's really good fun!
The balance doesn't feel broken, yet!

The shield mechanic is really intuitive, it's just like a panic button and clears bullets around you but you can use it offensively, let if build up until the circle around you is red and then "shield kill" baddies.

Early days, but this is great fun!

Edit: Had another run where the game just stop spawning enemies :(
I'll try turning it off and on again!

Uh-oh, happened again

OPUIoko.jpg

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Gawd's sake, I got this far and the game just decided to stop spawning enemies.

jQEmE2S.jpg

This is why we release on PC first!
How do I even report a bug on PS4?

GPMnjfO.jpg

This is great, but I'd love to have a few more options to turn off the flashing hud and stuff.

It's really good fun!
The balance doesn't feel broken, yet!

The shield mechanic is really intuitive, it's just like a panic button and clears bullets around you but you can use it offensively, let if build up until the circle around you is red and then "shield kill" baddies.

Early days, but this is great fun!

Edit: Had another run where the game just stop spawning enemies :(
I'll try turning it off and on again!

Uh-oh, happened again

OPUIoko.jpg

yeah man. This is way addictive!  Enjoying it so far. (Also shout out again for the tunes, real nice, espesh game over/store/restart track). For like £4 this is a bargain. (Switch here).  Haven’t seen any bugs yet. But I doubt I’m far enough in. 

no tate screen option though. Boooooo. 

Yeah, it's good, innit?

At the end of that last run today, it was just about starting to feel like it might be busted, like I might not ever die, but hopefully it was all just about to kick off there before the baddies wet themselves and ran home scared.

Gonna play again tonight, hopefully it doesn't bug out again.

Yeah, I think some people just like that. It draws them in, and stops them giving up so early if they're not very good.

"Everything will start to come together once I fully upgrade my weapon, just gotta grind a few more coins!" when it's really just them playing more and getting more practise that's making them better.

Some people get really frustrated by not being good at something immediately so it kind of offsets that I think.

I bought everything except for the movement speed upgrades. I was frightened I was gonna overdo it and make the ship too fast and I'd never be able to go back. It's tap fire and hold to focus and they both feel like a decent speed to me.

yeah man, worth 4 quid of anyone's money. Good fun!

Finally managed a run without the game glitching out. Top of the pops, baby! Got to 27 again, that must be where shit starts to get real. Takes about 20 minutes to get there. I think I'm OK with that. Would prefer runs to be shorter but it ups the jeopardy a bit.

RkEVyhs.jpg

I was buzzing to make level 10. 

that puts me at like 28th in the world. Which means this hasn’t sold well day one.  Leaderboards must be format specific too. 

Everyone in here should give it a go, it’s legit decent.  

Edit:  that Capcom collection with Progear/Gigawing/19XX etc is out now. 

6 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Currently waiting for the capcom arcade collection to release so I can give it a look.

It's already out. 1943 and Ghosts n Goblins appear to be free but there doesn't seem to be a way of buying anything else yet. 

7 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

It's already out. 1943 and Ghosts n Goblins appear to be free but there doesn't seem to be a way of buying anything else yet. 

Switch?  The packs are there on the eshop in recent releases, or they were. All 3 for 29.99 or 3x packs of 10 for £11.99. 

31 minutes ago, geldra said:

Switch?  The packs are there on the eshop in recent releases, or they were. All 3 for 29.99 or 3x packs of 10 for £11.99. 

Yeah, they weren't there before I went to bed. A day of procrastination now on what to buy, before I inevitably say 'sod it' and get the lot. 

18 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

The reports are that the input lag is pretty horrible on the Switch Capcom Arcade Collection games, worth checking out if that sort of thing bothers you.

oh that’s a shame. Wonder if it can be improved? May have to pick up the Progear pack to see if I’m just as shit with that as I am the pcb. (Actually was thinking it may come in handy with save states for trying to improve)

I had a quick blast of 1943 before and it all seemed really nicely presented. They even have a choice of ROM region, which was unexpected. 

Right, before I pull the trigger on Pack 3 to get Progear, the "reports of lag" are they from the shmup forums where a billionth of a second lag makes them cry and stamp their feet screaming at each other? For context, I find the Psikyo games (well I have Dragon Blaze at least) very playable. I do however find Vasera collection to have noticable lag. 

I'll probably buy it anyway, I mean heck it's a Cave game on Switch, last time I bought one of those, it cost me £60 for a Japanese import :D £11.99 seems a steal.

*** edit *** I've bought it. Fuck it! No way am I missing out on this regardless.

Really enjoyed a bit of Progear and Giga Wing there. Pack 3 is a great little collection, cheap as fuck. Looking forward to putting a bit of time in when I get home. They felt about as laggy as the Psikyo stuff which was plenty playable for me. I'm not trying to play these for score or anything, just for some handy pick up and play. I have them emulated on my rig but I haven't turned that on in about two months. I'll actually play them on the Switch.