7 minutes ago, Jonster said:

This was a pretty terrible run at the beginning, got to the boss with about 8 lives and almost no offensive power ups so it took an age to kill :lol: The power ups from the boss started to turn it around though. Don’t know why it says my high score is that though, as the main menu and game over screen both show(ed) 2275710.

Excellent work, Jonster!

Which level of hell did you get to, or can you not remember?

So have you never had a run where the baddies stopped spawning?
I was waiting for the patch since it seemed to glitch out 3 out of 5 runs for me.

Really want to fire it up tomorrow and see if I can catch you up now though :D

Pretty sure it was 30 when it ended, but may have been 31.

I've not had a run where enemies stopped spawning but I have had a group of skulls just appear out of nowhere in the playfield without warning several times.

Woah nice @Jonster!

the top score on Switch is 3868315!!  Second is 2613425.  That’s one hell of a drop off.

Also, my high score displays differently on the leaderboard versus what’s on the bottom of the main menu. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1530070/Snake2_DX_Reawakening/

This looks like it'll be a shiter, but you sort of have to admire their fanatical devotion to the dark lord of screenshake there. They've really gone for it. It's pretty much all shake and no screen towards the end there.

I went and sniffed around their website and it's pretty neat! - https://ultimatewalrus.com/

Beat the first loop of Fantasy Zone on one credit in the sega ages version. Felt nice but the game is kind of easy and short so I'm going to aim for the two-all to properly legitmise it. Great game anyway, it's not hard to see why it is one of Hideki Kamiya's favourites.
Either way I can add it the list alongside Thunder Force IV (Sega Ages) and Super XYX (True Last Boss) that I've 1CC'd so far this year.

No idea what my next achievement will be but I still have the Thunder Force IV no miss on my mind alongside 1CC's for Jet Buster and Mushi (1CC'd novice original and maniac so it should be doable with practice). With all the sega ages I've been playing I might go for the 1CC on Space Harrier and Thunder Force III also.
Should be enough to keep me busy.

Nice one! Not played that myself.

Do you know about Black Bird? It's brilliant! It wasn't discounted in the lunar sale so I didn't mention it, but it does go on sale usually during the big events.

Stick that on your wishlist if you haven't tried it.

Still plugging away at Natsuki, up to stage 9 in story mode, and having the odd run in arcade. It's amazing!

edit: You should post in the "what games did you complete this year" thread to keep track, dig-dug. Give me something to upvote!

Had a “barnstormer” of a run on Void Gore. When I say barnstormer I mean level 18, so about half as good as everyone else. Anyway, just to say that those skulls can fuck right off. 

and!! Whoever said that the bullets getting muddled in with the enemy sprites was bang on. That’s pretty annoying. 

but yeah, fucking skulls...

Yeah, stage 7 is definitely the difficulty spike in Natsuki. I waltzed my way through stage 8 first time playing there and got halfway through the boss on stage 9.
1cc is coming, I can feel it!

Proper shmupnerdgasm when the lasers are going off in time with the music in stage 8 :lol:

Yas man! This is my beat!

HMgfQXO.jpg

On 17/02/2021 at 11:03, ImmaculateClump said:

It went up for sale last night, £3.99 - https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP2005-CUSA25939_00-VOIDGORE00000000

Haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Just realised, that's the first game I've actually bought on my UK account!

Loving the look of this and was delighted to see that it’s out on Xbox too! At a mere £3.35 I’m in :)

On 22/02/2021 at 00:21, ImmaculateClump said:

Do you know about Black Bird? It's brilliant! It wasn't discounted in the lunar sale so I didn't mention it, but it does go on sale usually during the big events.

Stick that on your wishlist if you haven't tried it.

Seconded

So Progear

It's great, but man is it hard. Even on the easiest settings, it's ridiculous in comparison to other Cave games (to me anyway) and I can't get too far before the old Continue? flashes up. Makes me wonder if the difficulty settings are actually doing anything to the game! ESP Ra.De Psi is the opposite and M2 made it genuinely accessible. I credit fed till the end of Progear and did enjoy it but it feels like light years away from something I'll be able to 1cc.

It's ages since I played it, and I don't think I was playing it properly at all, so I can't help you I'm afraid, but the controversial Japanese STG difficulty table has it at number 18 and reckons it's on par with a 1cc of mushi maniac so I wouldn't feel too bad about getting your arse kicked, haze, so long as you're having fun!

I'll have to fire it up soon if I think on. I'd like to try it again and see if I can learn how to play properly.

There's an STG Weekly on it if you want to bone up on the mechanics, in particular find out how the bullet cancelling/jewelling works. I had a sniff around for you and it sounds like it might help. Some lad on the shmups forum wrote

Here's another important feature of 'jeweling'. Rings are only created from bullets that are directly caught in an explosion, but stones cause chain reactions--a bullet transforming into a stone causes nearby bullets to transform as well. The higher the jewel level (amethyst -> ruby -> emerald -> diamond), the longer a chain reaction is possible. This has implications for survival strategy as well as scoring: you can clear the screen of bullets with a good chain reaction.

On 22/02/2021 at 18:52, womble9 said:

Loving the look of this and was delighted to see that it’s out on Xbox too! At a mere £3.35 I’m in :)

Nice one, Womble! I'll have to turn on my PS4 tomorrow if I think on and see if the patch has landed.

5CuPWQ7.jpg

I had a feeling it was coming. 3rd on the leaderboard. Absolutely buzzing!

My god, game is soooo good!

Had a quick try of hard mode and it changes things up really nicely. Plenty to sink your teeth into there.

Aw man, I can't believe we're lucky enough to have a developer as good as qute still alive and kicking. Fingers crossed this is shifting a lot more units since it escaped from xbone exclusivity and they're making enough coin that we'll see another game from them in the future!

I am absolutely grinding DoDonPachi rn. I am alive. Just checking in.

I checked out most of the Switch haul from a few weeks ago, and the M2 jobbies are the best for sure. The Psikyo Shooting Libraries are good, but I haven't got my teeth into them yet. People complain about lag and so on, but in some ways I wish I never read what others think so I could really see for myself.

I did wonder where you were!

Everyone has their own threshold of how much lag they can put up with.

If you want to find yours so that you're armed for the future, the Vritra devs made this handy tool where you can adjust the input lag in increments of frames and the score multiplier increases the higher you go!

If someone says, for example "giga wing has 8 frames of input lag on the switch" you can try 8 frames of lag in this tool and decide whether or not you're OK with that.

The link the dev posted on twitter has expired so I've uploaded my copy. The link expires in a week, it says here - https://filebin.net/fqw9hrvg7x7uhrwp

Maybe go in and set it to 8 frames straight away so you aren't comparing it to the base level.

edit: Try C-L for dodonpachi if you're not using that already. The second last stage is tricksy, took me a little while to figure a route through that. Good luck, Spoony! Amazing game. Loath the hateful stingy chain scoring in those games, but they're so much fun playing for survival!

Chaining and scoring is the *least* of my concerns at the moment. Trying to navigate my way through the absolute onslaught is great fun whilst also being a complete grind. I am using either C-S or C-L, I am not sure any more! Definitely C though, which I generally don't like, but was told I essentially needed if starting out attempting to clear the game.

The plan is to work hard at it to be consistent enough to 1-ALL the game. 2nd loop is a whole other target. Being able to 1-CC DDP would be a huge achievement for me.

In other news, my chipped 50/60 & region Saturn occasionally crashes at bootup, which might either be capacitors or the laser unit on the way out. Not with all games mind you, so I will reserve judgement for a little longer.

I picked up G-Darius HD and Cotton Reboot off the Japanese eShop. I've only ever played G-Darius on emulation, PS Classic and then some handheld Chinese job. This is obviously just that, uprezzed, and perfectly responsive. It's a great game, simple as that. I'll put time in and see how it goes. The capture mechanic adds a lot of strategy. 

Cotton Reboot feels quite cheap and cheerful, although it was more expensive. I paid £68 for ¥9000 eShop credit. Cotton was ¥5000 and Darius was ¥4000, more or less. It feels kind of like Deathsmiles, very busy, loads of crystals and shit to collect, lots of weapon upgrades, kind of got a Touhou spell mechanic thing. It's good. It's intense and chaotic once it gets going. I can't understand exactly how to play because it's all in Japanese but happy enough with it so far. It feels cheap and cheerful in the same way that Sisters Royale or Neko Navy do. I probably find Neko more aesthetically pleasing and readable, to be honest, but I like it and happy to support the genre. If we don't buy this stuff, who will? 

Yeah, I had a few shots on g-darius in shmupmame before, seems alright. Will probably get the ps4 version soon.

Sounds like you're a bit meh on the Cotton Reboot, hopefully it'll start to show it's charms and you'll warm to it. Probably gonna wait for the pc version.

Sisters Royale is cheap and tacky, I'll give you that, but Neko Navy is high end shabby chic, I think you'll find.

Any chance of a reappraisal of the excellent Natsuki Chronicles or is it festering down the grid with the todds and your xbone?

@ImmaculateClumpI fucked off my Xbox last summer but I'll pick Natsuki up again at some point. I don't really like the other Qute stuff for whatever reason so I didn't give it a very fair crack, to be honest.

Neko Navy is definitely better looking than Cotton and probably G-Darius, actually. I should have gone for the PlayStation releases, I'm a dunce. 

Cotton is actually rather good once the spell/fever thing started to click. It is very Deathsmilesy, sans training bras, fortunately. Quite goofy enemy designs, some vertical scrolling, some environmental stuff to restrict play area. Slightly funny bosses. Loads of things spilling from enemies. It's almost like it's nodding at Lapis X Labyrinth at times, but gently so. It improved with every run which is a good sign. 

3 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

What's the better PS1 pick up for a shmup novice - Gunbird or Raiden Project?

Very diff games. Raiden is iconic and a bit less hectic than Gunbird. If Raiden DX is an option then that, times a million. That’s my personal preference like. Gunbird is still great though. 

On 24/02/2021 at 23:07, Marlew said:

Cotton is actually rather good once the spell/fever thing started to click ... It's almost like it's nodding at Lapis X Labyrinth at times, but gently so. It improved with every run which is a good sign. 

Nice one, it was really hard to tell from the trailers whether the arrange mode was gonna be a goer or not. I can't see them being in any hurry to get the pc version out, gotta maximise those console sales.

I bought Lapis the other week when it was on sale! Looking forward to trying it out.

Think I might prefer the lo-fi gritty backgrounds in the g-darius arcade version i tried to the clean upscaled HD ones I've seen in videos of the m2 job.
Though, that's not gonna stop me getting it.
Maybe you can switch it to lo-fi mode, I don't know.
Worth paying just to know you're getting near pcb accurate slowdown everywhere.

Yeah, I bought it earlier today but only had a chance for one quick go.

15 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Maybe you can switch it to lo-fi mode, I don't know.

They let you do exactly that when you start the game. Good guy M2. You can choose g-darius HD or the old lo-fi version.

Definitely worth getting. There's random slowdown popping up all over the place in this that, even with the CPU underclocking fix, you just don't see in mame.

Seems fun so far!