8 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Tate is just short for rotate isn’t it? Why do some of these YouTubers say ‘tartay’ like it’s some special Japanese mode. Am I missing something?

'Tate' means vertical in Japanese. 

I love your idea though. Very endearing. 

6 minutes ago, Marlew said:

'Tate' means vertical in Japanese. 

I love your idea though. Very endearing. 

Mad. I guessed there might be more to it. Living in Essex where everything gets shortened, I just assumed that had happened here. 

Yeah, it's not just a hipsterism - you'll sometimes see the Romanized 'yoko' (horizontal) and 'tate' as options in ports of arcade games, so I find it's useful to know 'em as someone who otherwise doesn't know a lick of Japanese. :)

Funny you mention this. Indeed, it's ta-te (tar-tay, for americans and all sorts for the brits, i guess), but i love to pronounce it 'tate, as in ro'tate, and have done for years (even though I speak Japanese).

I also call yo-ko more of a "yoh-koh" for a laugh, because it's top bants and I am hilarious like that.

So, 'tate and yohkoh.

But yes, it's 縦 たて  ta-te as vertical, and 横 よこ yo-ko  as in horizontal... as in how Yokohama is literally "horizontal beach".

/fin

SHITTING HELL Crimzon Clover

Is it just me or did they improve this over the Steam version for Switch? It’s sharper, has loads of little tweaks and runs absolutely beautifully. Well worth double dipping... 

I’m on such a high after my latest run on it, cleared up to the back end of Stage 4 with a nice high score which happily obliterates my mates score by 30 billion (bit of a rivalry with shmups... clumpy will recall) and nowhere near the 1cc really but getting better.

It’s just so bloody exciting this game - bombastic and ridiculous, yet never overwhelming. It deserves so much attention. If you haven’t bought this for some ungodly reason, get it NOW

I’m off to scream maniacally into a pillow for a bit 

I've just fixed my PS2 CD reading issue and have now opened up access to my 4 shooters I own and have owned for years but never ever played. Just had an hour or so on Steel Dragon which is nice. Contains an updated Evolution version of the same game in 3D but I've started off with the 1997 original pixel version. Looks great too, music isn't so much so though. 

@hazeredmist I haven't played it yet but World Explosion is an entirely new version, with a new Arrange mode that (IIRC) features a Gradius-style power-up meter, or at least speed-ups. Glad you're enjoying it - waiting for the eventual PC release here!

Still not feeling Natsuki Chronicles at all. Appreciate the tip-off that it costs bugger all on PS4 compared to the Xbox version, but I simply don't like the feel or look of it. I know I can turn off the bullet trajectory stuff but that design decision is so busy and ugly, to my taste. The gameplay is absolutely fine but lacks personality. 

Hmm. Too many horis recently. 

Feel like pure shit just want tate back

CCWE is so good that if they released a physical edition on either Switch or PS4, I would buy it.

Made by a CAVE fan, sans squeaky girls in bikinis, it’s pretty bloody stellar.

@Marlew yeah, people are raving about it online, but from the videos I have seen... I get your point. I haven’t bought it yet and am not sure I will. I have enough games and prefer ‘Tate mode.

20 hours ago, Pockets said:

Mad. I guessed there might be more to it. Living in Essex where everything gets shortened, I just assumed that had happened here. 

I thought it was “tah-tay” as in tattie, short for potato. Potatoes are taller than they are wide, like the picture ratio in Tate shmups...

What's tah-tay's, precious?

So how does Yoko Ono mean "ocean child" and not "horizontal axe"? Japanese is confusing.

I liked "horizontal axe" because it implies power but also pacifism. It's not raised in anger, but it's ready.

Absolute heathens in this thread. Natsuki is bloody brilliant and I will fight you all to death for her honour.

Visuals are certainly not qute's strongest suit. I can't argue with that.
Eschatos is tate, and it's their best game, but aye, it's pretty plasticky and gawdy, though I grew to love that. It sort of suits the whole B-movie vibe, it's like you're playing with a range of plastic toys from an early morning spaceship cartoon or something.

Give Eschatos another try, if you're still shrugging your shoulders, then fine, you're allowed not to like Qute. I'll have to just learn to live with that.

I feel like I've got loads more to say in defence of their games, but I'm running late for school. Last day, bitches! Woooohooooo!

@hazeredmist Yes, mate! Really looking forward to the snazzed up edition hitting pc. The arrange modes sound great!

I thought it was Yoko because when you’re dead you lie horizontally. She broke up (in other words killed) the Beatles. Not to mention her husband has been horizontal for 40 years.

9 hours ago, Soulstar said:

I've just fixed my PS2 CD reading issue and have now opened up access to my 4 shooters I own and have owned for years but never ever played. Just had an hour or so on Steel Dragon which is nice. Contains an updated Evolution version of the same game in 3D but I've started off with the 1997 original pixel version. Looks great too, music isn't so much so though. 

50hz only PAL version IIRC, which is a shame. What are your other 3?

39 minutes ago, Camel said:

50hz only PAL version IIRC, which is a shame. What are your other 3?

I had a bit of a read up on a comment someone made over on an amazon page back in 2007 and he detailed issues around this. Overall though it wasn’t something that I was conscious of when I put it on yesterday and enjoyed what I played so far. 

As for the others, I have Psyvariar, XII Stag and more recently picked up Gunbird Special which I think is the first two games together. I’ve got a couple of other genre blue disc games too; Play Pinball and Freak Out (panic stretch?). 

Thinking of grabbing R-Type Final too as it’s pretty cheap. 

Coincidentally, I have been recently playing the Steel Dragon PS2 on PS3 digital release, from that odd late stage in the PS3's life when the boffins suddenly rushed out of the lab screaming "We've cracked it! We've finally cracked software only PS2 BC" only to find they were about five years too late for anyone to care so they just half-heartedly released a few underappreciated gems.

I've been playing the Evolution version mostly. It might even be the NTSC version? It's fun, though actually really easy (as even I can 1cc it and I can't 1cc ANYTHING) but it has a devious scoring mechanism which is where I think the action would be for more serious players.

Played some DDP Resurrection the other night. Only in novice because I was extremely tired (and a wimp). It’d been a while and I’d forgotten how much I enjoy it. Even the laser wheels in stage 5...

Jumped into Graze Counter this afternoon and had a lot of fun with that. The core loop of graze and erase is pretty satisfying. Was fairly easy (on normal) as even I managed to 1CC it, but it’s probably a lot more challenging if your fully playing for score. 

10 hours ago, Soulstar said:

Freak Out (panic stretch?). 

Flashbacks to playing that after (iirc) some Edge hype and it was utter dump. Like, Chase HQ on the C64 bad. 

Psyvariar though!  Top choice. 

Came across some Cotton footage today, it wasn’t on my radar at all.  Now it is 

Phwoooar! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1410440/Sophstar/

Currently being cooked up in Brazil. I don't know whether it's excitement or fear I'm feeling, probably a bit of both. That is niiiice and fast.

Yer man says most of the artwork is placeholder, but he wanted to get the trailer out to show the gameplay.

Shmupjunkie has got a video about cotton coming tomorrow, hopefully that'll go into the arrange mechanics more.

Oh here we go, Mark does actually go into the arrange mechanics after twelve minutes of chuntering on about owt and nowt. I must have fucked it off after about 10 minutes the other night.

Should time stamp at 11:45

Tempted to get the ps4 version, but I know that if I do it'll go on sale on steam tomorrow!

I might email beep and see if there's any ETA on that. A girl can't wait around forever.

On 05/03/2021 at 17:49, ImmaculateClump said:

So how does Yoko Ono mean "ocean child" and not "horizontal axe"? Japanese is confusing.

I liked "horizontal axe" because it implies power but also pacifism. It's not raised in anger, but it's ready.

On 05/03/2021 at 17:53, StoooTube said:

I thought it was Yoko because when you’re dead you lie horizontally. She broke up (in other words killed) the Beatles. Not to mention her husband has been horizontal for 40 years.

It's only confusing because you're looking at transliterations from the Japanese kanji characters which flatten out to look exactly the same when they are not the same at all.

The character for "yoko" (meaning vertical) is 縦

The two characters that make up Yoko Ono's first name are 洋子, which does mean "ocean child"

That all said, Japanese does have an incredible number of homonyms, such that if you only hear a word being spoken without the context around it it can be difficult to grasp the meaning.

/weeb

Wow. I'm always impressed with anyone that can grasp a second language. I really struggled with french even at school.

Spoonman can do Japanese as well, I think, and Marlew can speak Chinese.

Here, Marlew, say "Feel like pure shit, just wanna play cotton on my kiddygrotbox" in chinese :lol:

I was wondering if yoko meaning horizontal and yoko meaning ocean could be linked because when you look out at the ocean you see the horizon and how we say "landscape" or "portrait" orientation.

I wondered if the Japanese did the same and that's where it came from, like the horizontal line of the horizon (oh shit! Horizontal. Idiotic eureka moment!), but that doesn't sound right since it looks like the words aren't related now from what you've said.

This is bringing back fond memories of desert strike on the amiga - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1228360/Megacopter_Blades_of_the_Goddess/ though "Blades of the goddess" is straying a bit too far into the "bloke who shagged airwolf" territory for me.