One of team grybanser fox was talking about that on twitter before and said that they're selling stretch goal content as DLC! :blink:

Did anyone else pick up Barrage Fantasia then?

I'm finding it pretty hard to get excited about this one and wondering if it's just me.

I enjoyed it a bit better tonight, upped my score a bit, but it feels a little undynamic and flat.

RI8Ub49.jpg

I might experiment with different loadouts tomorrow, I think there's one where you only get one heart, that might make things more interesting.

"Rez" is available currently for free (to all, not just PS+ subs) in Sony's Play At Home bundle offering. 

Downloaded and played it again last night. IMO it still hasn't dated one bit, incredible for a near 20 year old game visually. It must have been an amazing time to be working alongside Mizuguchi on this.

The 5.1 mix is impressive

Void Gore is proving to be a really enjoyable game for me :).

Being a bit of an old sod there's just so much to it that reminds the 8 / 16bit shooters that I loved so much! The parallax scrolling backgrounds, the colour palate and the music all fit together so well!!

I've not spent that much time on it as yet, but I've just saved up and blown $2100 on upgrades and then without trying them out switched it off. I can't wait get up in the morning to excitedly see what a difference they've made!! It's a feeling that I've not had since I used to be the fist paper boy at the newsagents so I could get my round done and get home to have an hour on my C64 before school!! 

Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing that again.

This is the last I heard about the patch.

I was getting the soft lock like 4 out of 5 runs so I just put it on the back-burner.

Can't get to my ps4 at the minute anyway, but yeah, as soon as the patch lands I'll be diving back into that :D

I know nothing about it so it could be crap, but one of the free titles offered in April's Prime Gaming selection is Aces of the Luftwaffe - Squadron...

It should be available to Prime subscribers from April 1. Details here.

Doesn't seem fair to be critical when it's free, but I value your time and the internet is almost brimming over with top tier doujin games you can get for absolutely nowt, so click below for Debbie Downer Does Dallas if you're interested in my worthless opinion.

Spoiler

I remember trying this when it came out and it's low effort mobage with pooey controls and pooier gameplay.

I try not to hate on stuff like this too much because these sort of games can sometimes be a great way of getting new people into the genre proper, and sometimes it's a nice brainless way for old hands like us to kill an hour or two, but yeah, I remember this one being particularly pongy.

I like this now.
Woman's prerogative.

tBAE4mZ.jpg

I'm enjoying figuring out the scoring.
It's quite clever because you get rewarded for doing things quickly but it's also a good idea to wait a while and let some enemies fill the screen with bullets before turning them into hearts so it's fun feeling your way through the different stages.
Yeah, it's definitely a grower. Slowly pushing my score up and I've got some ideas about where I can bump it biggly.

Wanna make all those stars go gold!

That third one's bronze, by the way! Your rank for each stage and then the last big one is overall.

On 28/03/2021 at 15:01, englishbob said:

"Rez" is available currently for free (to all, not just PS+ subs) in Sony's Play At Home bundle offering.

On one hand a little "gutted" because I bought this last year to play on PSVR, but at the same time, I want to directly pay for Rez because it's amazing. I own like 4 or 5 versions of the bastard game now, but it's given me so much more than its monetary value.

I don't get rez.

You can't dodge the bullets. Vot is point, Rez?

I'll have to fire it up again and see if I can get into it.

I remember my friend going on and on about it, it was like listening to an old hippy recounting their latest acid trip :lol:

No love for Assault Shell and Barrage Fantasia?
I'm assuming the radio silence means nobody picked them up?
Pushing my score up on BF each time I play. experimenting with different loadouts.

Assault Shell is definitely the winner, but this game is loads of fun once you get into it.

I'm liking how the different familiars and stuff really change the way the game feels.

H3aeqqr.jpg

Yeah Rez isn't what many call a shmup, but technically it would be an STG I suppose.

I don't really care either way; it's one of my favourite games of all time... but I don't count it as a shmup.

Beat Advance mode on Barrage Fantasia and made the big number go up!

KxGKnVT.jpg

Advance mode is just you get 3 hearts instead of five, bit more scoring potential though, not that I made the best use of it, it has to be said. You don't really get much of a pat on the back for doing it otherwise. Gotta score big though.

There's one called risky where you only get one heart! Dunno if I could do that!

Really enjoying this now!

Yeah I think it looks really promising. The first stage definitely captures the tone of RTF1 while leaving behind most of the dead air and focusing a little more on environmental hazards, etc. I'm hopeful that some of the people who hated the first one (not me!) will be won over by it.

Apparently new ships are manufactured by the player after accruing certain materials, which could alleviate some of the tedium of unlocking the cooler ones.

Someone on the shmups discord was saying it tanks whenever you shoot a lot or charge your beam on PS4, too. Doesn't bode well, but hopefully there's still time for optimisation work to happen...

Y13q8Fk.jpg

Woohoo!

I wish I was recording because I think the game caps your score to 1,800,000 at the end there before you get to the bonus screen, it seemed to stay at that for a while and it was a weird round number to end on, I'd like to be able to check that.

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

Someone on the shmups discord was saying it tanks whenever you shoot a lot or charge your beam on PS4, too. Doesn't bode well, but hopefully there's still time for optimisation work to happen...

The Switch is my shmup console of choice (just nabbed Sisters Royale and preordered Rolling Gunner) so I'm gutted if there are performance issues.

Is it too late to cut your losses? Have you bought loads of games on there?

All of the games you've mentioned so far are available on pc if that's an option.

Fuck all that console war bullshit. I don't go in for any of that, I've got all the platforms (apart from the ps5 and the new xbox, can never remember what they're calling it), but no matter which way you slice it, unless portability is an absolute must, if you play these games anything other than casually to the extent that input lag or performance issues are gonna bother you, you're better off buying them on any other platform.

Having said that, Klatry is right, I've seen people complaining about the exact same thing on the ps4.

It could be an early optimisation thing, or it could just be that the devs have no idea what they're doing. We'll see when it's out proper on all platforms.

What the hell! I just got done panning the first stage boss on barrage fantasia and then bloody bebop and rocksteady turned up!

That's never happened before. I was like "who the hell are these arseholes?"

27G1Uex.jpg

Aw man, looks like there's lots of secrets yet to find!

Sorry for all the self indulgent BF posts, I'm stuck in the house today with lots of nonsense going on and it's keeping me sane :D

Yeah, I just hope the issues are mirrored across the platforms and that there's not a Bloodstained-style situation where one version suffers much more than the rest. RTF1 slowed down massively during certain sections, so I can live with the sequel overreaching slightly as long as it chugs fairly consistently. :P

19 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Is it too late to cut your losses? Have you bought loads of games on there?

All of the games you've mentioned so far are available on pc if that's an option.

Fuck all that console war bullshit. I don't go in for any of that, I've got all the platforms (apart from the ps5 and the new xbox, can never remember what they're calling it), but no matter which way you slice it, unless portability is an absolute must, if you play these games anything other than casually to the extent that input lag or performance issues are gonna bother you, you're better off buying them on any other platform.

I've got around 140 Switch games so it's a little too late.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy playing shmups on my Switch (I bought a monitor that would rotate for TATE games) but I love owning physical games and I love playing Ikaruga in bed. I get how good PCs are for sheer power and choice, but I won't be giving up any of my consoles, modern or otherwise :)

20 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

No love for Assault Shell and Barrage Fantasia?
I'm assuming the radio silence means nobody picked them up?

not really playing shmups at the moment, but think they look cool, i've put them on my steam list!

1 hour ago, strider said:

I've got around 140 Switch games so it's a little too late.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy playing shmups on my Switch

Sorry, man. I feel bad now, it's like you've gone "I love my wife but her cooking's not great" and I'm like "Oh, that's not a problem at all, we'll get you signed up to tinder after tea. Pack your suitcase, I'll phone your lawyer and get the divorce proceedings started in the morning"

So you have a ps4/ps5? It's just that your switch is your platform of choice and you like to buy games on there if you have the choice?

You just venting? I get it.

If any shmup on any platform isn't hitting a solid 60fps outside of intentional slowdown in the year of our lord 2021, the people responsible had best take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror.

5 minutes ago, spatular said:

not really playing shmups at the moment, but think they look cool, i've put them on my steam list!

Nice one, spatular! I was getting worried. I thought everyone had just stopped playing or something!

Sorry, @strider Still feeling bad about that. Didn't mean to make you feel bad. Might just be my imagination but I'm getting some fierce passive aggressive vibes from that smiley face :D I'm gonna see him when I shut my eyes tonight.

Give me a thumbs up just to put my mind at ease.

Marlew said it was a bit funny on here with the console wars so I tried to upfront that I definitely wasn't having a sly dig and I think that might have backfired.

That game is coming to everything, so if it does turn out to only have issues on the switch (I reckon it'll either be janky on everything or it's all gonna be polished up before launch), you could just get that one game on something else, forfeit playing that one in bed. It won't be such a big thing only one game.

Yes, I'm getting my absolute grip on this bad boy now.

Got my first gold stars for the first two stages tonight.

S8q4GDq.jpg

EJVql0d.jpg

It must have been the first crabby thing on stage one that was throwing me. I wasn't sure how to do the break on that, but I've figured it out now.

The others are a lot more intuitive.

Look at this, this is how you do it. You've got to duff him up a bit first until the two target signs show up, then you can blast his claws off.

https://streamable.com/r971u3

I was doing it wrong and taking his claws off first.

I think if you get all the breaks on that stage and maybe finish within a certain time then you get to fight the two flying dunces at the end.

The second stage, there's this mid-boss that always runs away, and I always forget. He's like a stag beetle and he's flying backward up a tree and you've got to be really aggressive and bomb him to buggery before he gets a chance to escape. That's a tricky bit, but I remember tonight and got him for the first time before he nicked off!

I was doing so good there tonight but I got cocky and relaxed too much and died at the last boss. I would have walloped my score.

Sorry if this isn't really that interesting to anyone but someone might come and play if I keep banging on about it.

It's such a grower this one, the game feels pretty empty when you start but as you get a handle on what you're meant to be doing, all those little gaps, they've been left there for you to fill, it's brilliant! So good!