They're working on it. Sorry for the late reply, been busy as a bee!

Mark started a live shmup talk show! 3 hours long, I've been chipping away at it, very good, very interesting stuff. First episode has the adorable danbo (blue revolver) and the beautiful boghog (mechanical star astra).

edit: Just got to this bit where danbo goes "Oh, I have that stick, but I don't have an analogue stick installed in it because, you know, I'm not a war criminal" :lol:

I downloaded the Rtype Final 2 demo "just because", and actually, really got into it. The presentation is really quite amazing—I really felt like I was piloting a little ship into a desolate abandoned space station. Bear in mind, I haven't played Rtype since playing something in the 90s on Playstation, thinking it was too hard, and not coming back to shooters for about 10 years when I got Trigger Heart on DC and "discovered" CAVE games...

So yeah, it's rather slick. In gameplay, I've not noticed any lag or dropped frames on my aged PS4. I've downloaded it on Switch also, for comparison, but didn't get around to playing it. 

It's one of those "pew pew" shooters, rather than something like a CAVE game or Crimson Clover where you have an absolute arsenal of machinegun fire forever emerging. The weapons do indeed look very good, and the lighting is superb. 

The thing I don't like is when you get hit, the game pauses, and then you restart from a checkpoint. It's a bit slow and clunky. I want to explode, then get back into it, within a second or so. However, the whole game feels very slow-paced and I am still adjusting to the hitbox, but it was actually extremely fun.

There's a whole saga of crowdfunding, extra DLC, other strange things, but actually I almost feel compelled to pick this up. Weirdly, it would be the first Rtype that I ever bought. What else have I missed?!

55 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

10 years when I got Trigger Heart on DC

Oh wow. Is it that old? I loved that on the 360, swinging idiots around by their bollocks and chucking them face first into their stupid friends. Really satisfying.

Meet some pissed up charvas at the shops laughing at my lockdown hairdo.

Balls out. Rund the heed you go. Whoosh, whoooooosh, whooooooooooosh! WHAAMAMMY!

Still can't get to my PS4, but from everything I'm hearing, I think I'd best just wait for the game if I'm gonna play it, because the demo might put me off. I feel like I might have to be invested first and let the game draw me in rather than going off first impressions.

I saw some video and it really feels like a single player campaign. You know those games that normal people play? Like a slow, cinematic experience.
Yeah, spoony, I think that's what you're talking about, it feels very atmospheric and there's much more a sense of place and of being alone on that strange alien spaceship or whatever it is. Like you're watching some horror sci-fi like alien or something.

I've only ever played the speccy and amiga versions of r-type when I was little, those versions were probably a bit pants, and I wasn't feeling them.

Lots of cheap deaths and dead air.

To be honest, I'm not excited for it right now, it's a game that's gonna have to win me over I think, but I'm prepared to give it every chance to do that.

Limited Run are doing both standard and LE physical releases of M2's Dangun Feveron port. I want to swear off buying limited-release junk forever but this would be genuinely handy to have. Happy the game's finally going to have a 'western' presence of some sort, anyway!

It's one of those "pew pew" shooters, rather than something like a CAVE game or Crimson Clover where you have an absolute arsenal of machinegun fire forever emerging. The weapons do indeed look very good, and the lighting is superb. 

It's funny you mention this - it probably looks tame now, compared to DoDonPachi's continuous streams of energy or something like that, but at the time of the original game's release the R9's arsenal was the most excessive, ostentatious nonsense anyone had seen, and IIRC was one of its main draws. :D

Shmup publisher: “We’re pleased to announce that our title is being published in the US by limited run games!”

Me: “EU PSN & eShop release plz”

good news about dangun! that'll be the second limited run game i get. although yeah it'd be nice if they eventually get round to putting stuff out on psn/xbox/eshop over here.

11 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

It's funny you mention this - it probably looks tame now, compared to DoDonPachi's continuous streams of energy or something like that, 

later stages in rtype make dodonpachi look tame imo :D

oh yeah i got a new (to me, not actually new) import 360, a slim with hdmi and everything, to use instead of the original model one which i'm surprised hasn't failed yet. so that's good :)

Dangun is great news on one hand, and a bit annoying on the other. I went through some serious hoops to get the digital edition as it was the only non-physical release... and now here we are! I would double-dip, but the kicker will be the EU import charges on a $100 game. 

I have until Friday to decide, I suppose.

I've not yet bothered with Garegga or Ketsui—I haven't played cotton reboot yet! The backlog is real. Kind of cool to have a shmup backlog, with new releases and old die-hards alike. Good times.

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

Dangun is great news on one hand, and a bit annoying on the other. I went through some serious hoops to get the digital edition as it was the only non-physical release... and now here we are! I would double-dip, but the kicker will be the EU import charges on a $100 game. 

I have until Friday to decide, I suppose.

I'm just going to get the standard edition - hopefully a fraction of $100

I gave Rtype a whirl last night on the Switch. I remember reading @strider’s impression that the frame rate was appalling... really? I’d love a video or idea of which section to look out for on that, because I didn’t notice it last night at all!

StudioMudPrints on YT also comment how the Switch version has worse graphics bla bla, but you know what I was doing last night? In bed playing with Mrs Spoonman next to me. Can’t do that with the PS4 (short of having a screen in the bedroom, obv). Also, Mrs Spoonman commented how amazing this game looked on the small screen; having seen the game on the PS4 (not pro) only the other night.

To my unseasoned eyes, this game looked ‘just as’ good (I noticed not as nice), played ‘just as’ well (I am no Rtype veteran and didn’t notice frame drops, but i have the latest switch), and enjoyed my run in the demo, again.

I like nice graphics as much as the next nerd, but frame rate is the thing that can ruin an experience the most imo. But, I am not a PC gamer at all (nothing against it), and really like to keep away from console wars (fucking pointless), so I’ll just say... it’ll be tough for me to decide on which platform i get this. I am not chasing PCB emulation here, rather, a pretty, modern, STG with some “depth” to it. 

The question is, do I ever want to play this whilst in bed? (or on the loo/in zoom calls?)

3 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I gave Rtype a whirl last night on the Switch. I remember reading @strider’s impression that the frame rate was appalling... really? I’d love a video or idea of which section to look out for on that, because I didn’t notice it last night at all!

One of my friends couldn't notice it either. He also said he turned up the 60 fps mode on Spider-Man Miles Morales as the graphics looked terrible, so take from that what you will. Ultimately, I found it to be super juddery and when new waves were flying on-screen they looked like they were in slow motion. @nakamurainstantly noticed it from 15 foot away after downloading the PS4 version.

If you're not being affected by it that's great, but it's definitely there and it's definitely putting me off. .Having said that, playing in bed is a very good trade-off, so I may buy it when I've seen a few more reviews. It's also a demo, so there's a good chance there will be some spit and polish before it comes out. It still feels like an R-Type game and that's what's really important.

Cheers, I wasn't calling you out or anything. I will have a closer look today. I like to think I am very sensitive to unstable frame rates etc due to the games i play (including e sports, boo) and just, in general. I've always hated unstable frame rates.

I wonder if the new waves themselves judder, or the entire frame rate? I ask because I wonder if there's a way to miss that, if you are focussing on your ship or something? Dunno. Are you on an original or new switch?

Cheers, I wasn't calling you out or anything. I will have a closer look today. I like to think I am very sensitive to unstable frame rates etc due to the games i play (including e sports, boo) and just, in general. I've always hated unstable frame rates.

I wonder if the new waves themselves judder, or the entire frame rate? I ask because I wonder if there's a way to miss that, if you are focussing on your ship or something? Dunno. Are you on an original or new switch?

I know you weren't calling me out. I'm playing on an original launch machine. I've tried it both docked and undocked and it doesn't seem to make a difference in performance. It's far smoother on the PS4, which is why I was noticing it so much. I'll look at it again tonight, but it was most noticeable on the waves of aliens.

6 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I like nice graphics as much as the next nerd, but frame rate is the thing that can ruin an experience the most imo.

Yeah, who the hell is playing shmups for graphical fidelity, anyway?
"The shit munchers who don't play shmups who make up like 95% of the people who crowdfOunded the new r-type!"
Who said that?! :D

I love games that look great, but to me that doesn't mean smearing the screen with all the latest fashionable graphical effects.
To me it means a striking aesthetic, a bold, original art style, or amazing, made with love pixel art.

If the game doesn't look "as good" on the switch, then that's definitely a good sign because the devs have prioritized performance and they're dropping unnecessary graphical frills to hit a framerate they deem acceptable.

Seriously though, real talk, shmups should be hitting 60fps on all consoles, no excuses.

Yeah, Strider, sounds like the best plan. Just wait until the game is out in the wild and then we'll see the performance across all platforms and you'll be much better informed to make your decision.

What's this talk about having a launch switch or a newer one? I've got a launch switch, did the later ones get a slight bump in cpu speed or something?

47 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Seriously though, real talk, shmups should be hitting 60fps on all consoles, no excuses.

57.7hz*

What's this talk about having a launch switch or a newer one? I've got a launch switch, did the later ones get a slight bump in cpu speed or something?

Yeah, it's a bit of a murky water this one. The "newer" switch has better battery life and a seemingly for efficient CPU, but i do expect the performance to be the same. I've never compared, I was just curious. Interesting that it is the older switch, mind you. I love confirmation bias!

Either way, I hope it runs well. I wasn't really at all interested in it, until i played the demo, and loved the atmosphere of it. 

As someone also guilty of spending 2 hours aligning and tuning my CRT image, only to turn it off and then go read forums, I need to kick myself sometimes and remember to play the god damn games and not get into the tech side too much. It's fun to deep dive, and get "the best" out of things, but perfection-seeking is a waste of time, and my best gaming years were spent using a fucking RF cable for christ's sake. It's all about RGB and PVM and HDMI and 4K and 60FPS now but back in the day I would pour hours into Sonic 2 or Power Stone or whatever, on RF cables and wonky CRTs and had the time of my life.

It's like the way I have spend money and time trying to set up some kind of Twitch streaming thing, then forget to stream my gaming sessions/don't game. 

I'll post back tomorrow with a story of what I *have played* tonight. Adios.

57.7hz*

Haha, I knew that was coming :D

I actually reworded it to make it pedant proof, and even had a clause in for the new high refresh consoles but it was a long, loose straggly string of words so I just went back to how it was. Keep it tight, that's my motto. A nice brief, punchy, readable 200 word waffly brainfart.

Yeah, I just play games, none of that fucking about.

It's one of the reasons I play these games in the first place, they're so respectful of your time and they're all the fucking same so you don't have to relearn the controls :lol:

I'll post back tomorrow with a story of what I *have played* tonight. Adios.

Nice one, brother! I'll look forward to it :D

It's one of those that remains open for pre-order for a set time though right? Rather than there just being, say, 5000?

Ordering from LRG isn't going to be the pain-free experience ordering something from amazon.jp is is it? Presumably, there'll be duty to pay on arrival?

12 minutes ago, Camel said:

It's one of those that remains open for pre-order for a set time though right?

yeah that's what it looks like. I don't know about the other stuff, only ordered from them once before and can't remember if there was vat/charges to pay.

i can't decide between the standard and limited version. already have a katsui cd so held off on that, not signed though!

3 hours ago, Camel said:

Ordering from LRG isn't going to be the pain-free experience ordering something from amazon.jp is is it? Presumably, there'll be duty to pay on arrival?

Easy peasy. Shipping is $15 and import prices are included. I’ve bought around 50 games from them and never had an issue. If you order multiple items they won’t ship until the last thing is in stock so keep that in mind on multiple orders.