Ginga Force and Natsuki Chronicles are also in the current PS4 sale, for anyone interested.

No sooner had I bought Natsuki than the postie dropped R-Type Final 2 through the door.   I think it’s pretty good if you enjoy some R-Type.  Graphics are nice, music is varied, levels have some new stuff and - of course - call backs to previous games.  there’s a few things to mess about with too; decals and customising ships; unlocking 90+ ships; gallery etc.  

At times it has felt more like a brutal trial and error memory task than a proper game (though I think this is a not uncommon criticism for the series?).  

Load times don’t often bother me, but they are several seconds too loooooong after a death (Switch version) and quite jarring, especially when you’re caught on a tricky bit needing lots of retries.  Really needs an update to reduce that, I want to get back in the action

I'm finding the modern graphics on shooters pretty unpalatable.... comparing the modern versions of rtype  to the pixel art original puts me in mind of terrible mobile phone games the newer 3d graphics come across as sterile and completely lacking charm.... there's no stopping progress I suppose but really wish developers would give us more pixels and less shiny polygons.

Trying to think of any modern 3d graphics that don't turn me off.... anger force I like but that's not using polygons or if it is its hiding them well as it creates the impression to me of hand drawn art, albeit much higher res than the 16bit games of my youth. Are there any big developers still persisting with pixel art?

It pains me to say it but Gradius V came out 17 years ago, mate. :(

That was a tour de force, but I do think it's fair to say that more recent 3D stuff has tended to have a lot less flair than that. I think we have to temper our expectations, though - something like R-Type Final 2, for example, was crowdfunded and built in a pre-existing engine with a bunch of its own visual hallmarks, and has done well to look as good as it does, even if it isn't going to blow anyone's minds. There are moments in which it genuinely does excel, though, and plenty of stages which have strong and interesting art direction. (The 'unevenness' of the latter is due to the fact that different stages were developed by entirely different teams.)

Darius Chronicle Saviours is currently on Steam for £11.99. 

Not played Darius before but looks great so thinking of picking that up. I was pondering over R-Type Final 2 however not convinced at £35. Love the original R-Type  and R-Type Delta but still keep going back to the original R-Type. Interesting R-Type Dimensions is also on sale for £7 which I don't have on the PC.

So looks like I'll pick up Darius and R-Type dimensions at the moment - looks like a great combo to scratch my SHMUP itch. I'll keep an eye on the reviews for R-Type Final 2.

16 hours ago, Camel said:

Didn't realise it was getting a standard release over here.

yeah same here.

i forgot to say the ps4 version is on there too, that's the one i ordered. there's a darius game coming too - i thought this was a port of the old 3d G-Darius but according to hotukdeals it isn't so i'm not sure what this is now? i didn't expect to be getting shmup news from hotukdeals.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dariusburst-another-chronicle-ex-switch-free-delivery-3718060

https://www.thegamecollection.net/dariusburst-another-chronicle-ex-plus-ps4?sqr=Dariusburst%3A Another Chronicle&

https://www.thegamecollection.net/cotton-reboot-ps4?sqr=cotton&

Confusing isn't it, seeing as Strictly Limited are doing a release :/

I might order that and sell my Jp version (that I haven't even touched yet :doh:).

Is the Darius game yet another version of Darius Burst? I enjoyed the Vita version of that.

With Gradius V getting a mention it begs the question: what the fuck has happened to Treasure?! Where have they gone?! :(

also, (dull I know), my copy of Rtype F2 from the game collection still hasn’t arrived yet. :(

Last I heard, Treasure is just one person these days. I'm not sure if it's Hiroshi Iuchi, because he's been at M2 for several years (although he is apparently still working on Ubusana, a Project RS game). Treasure's only activity as far as I can tell has been licensing out Ikaruga now and then...

2 hours ago, Camel said:

Confusing isn't it, seeing as Strictly Limited are doing a release :/

I might order that and sell my Jp version (that I haven't even touched yet :doh:).

Is the Darius game yet another version of Darius Burst? I enjoyed the Vita version of that.

yeah i don't know much about darius (other than i've played gaiden quite a bit) so get a bit confused by all the different versions, so had a quick look into it - apparently in japan "Darius Cozmic Collection" includes Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX+ and G-Darius HD. but it seems like we are just getting  Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX+ on it's own - which seems to be a different version of dariusburst. i was more interested in g-darius so probably won't get it. looks like you can get a version with g-darius over here though it's just more expensive (edit - this is the version Camel mentioned):

https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/products/darius-cozmic-revelations-ps4-preorder

^ Ghost blade HD right? I seem to remember quite enjoying it, its a decent but not amazing bullet hell game. The original dreamcast/non HD version is supposed to be rubbish so make sure its not that version i guess.

3 hours ago, spatular said:

^ Ghost blade HD right? I seem to remember quite enjoying it, its a decent but not amazing bullet hell game. The original dreamcast/non HD version is supposed to be rubbish so make sure its not that version i guess.

Cheers. It’s HD yeah. I think I might have it in Steam actually. Will give it a miss for now, so many to be getting on with. 

On 05/05/2021 at 18:30, Pockets said:

Are Sturmwind and Ghost Blade worth getting on Xbox?

Sturmwind I didn't get on with at all, someone on another forum convinced me try it again recently and I still came up empty handed, but I will stick up for ghost blade.

I think ghost blade proves that a half decent scoring mechanic can save an otherwise also-ran in the genre.

It's very "that'll do" with enemies sometimes just raining from the sky and most of the bosses having all of like two uninteresting patterns.

It's very bargain bin, but it's very laid back, quite a relaxing game and a great in for bullet hell newbies, I think.

You fly around the screen clearing out all the popcorn enemies so that you can fly in nice and close (but not too close mind, or it won't trigger!) to the bigger enemies so you can kill them at point blank and scoop up all the lovely stars they drop. Rinse and repeat.

So it's all about clearing the way so you can get up close to the bigger enemies, don't die and don't bomb.

Worth the price of admission for the caravan stage alone, I think.

It's fun and relaxing to play and that makes up for any of it's failings, I reckon.

On 06/05/2021 at 00:28, Dig Dug said:

Ghost Blade just made me wonder why I wasn’t just playing DoDonPachi instead.

:lol: A fair comment. At least the chaining isn't as strict in ghost blade!

Fuuuuck!
Double KO on the final boss in Zenohell.
You have got to be kidding me!

Well, I can safely say that I'm close to the 1cc there :D

Man, this is easily the hardest game in the series and it's the first one!

1TFPFzf.jpg

I had my first astrazeneca a couple of days ago and I don't think I'm quite ready to be playing shmups again yet, that's given me a right headache!

I'm struggling to get past the first stage boss of Raiden Project on PS1 - I've had 5 or 6 attempts. :facepalm:

I'm a shmup novice, but I did play a bit of Cave stuff on MAME a few years ago and could get as far as Stage 4 on DonPachi on a single credit, so I'd like to think I'm not entirely useless. Aside from being rusty, I think what's throwing me with this is that I'm playing with an arcade stick for the first time, which feels great but does seem to have a learning curve when it comes to judging those small movements. The hitbox also seems bigger on this compared to DonPachi, which may be a factor. I'll keep at it. 

Yeah, arcade stick took me a good 3 months before I was as good as I had been with a pad and then almost a year I think before I started seeing better results.

Worth it though!

The raiden games are no joke. I'd maybe play more forgiving games while you're learning stick so it's less frustrating when you make mistakes.

My big problem was that I was forever hitting the diagonals by accident.

Something chill with autobomb would be great. Have you played blue wish resurrection plus? - https://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/winnt/game/fh452584.html

On 05/05/2021 at 18:30, Pockets said:

Are Sturmwind and Ghost Blade worth getting on Xbox?

I like both games. I’m no hardcore shmup fan, I do prefer the simpler systems and find the more complex ones difficult to engage with. If you’re looking for an easy going and very fun shmup then Ghost blade is recommend, an excellent game to get non shmup playing friends or kids into the genre too. Ghost blade is very impressive on the DC, same with Sturmwind so you would lose that feeling when playing on modern hardware. Sturmwind is a favourite of mine, I dig the Lovecraftian sci fi vibe, can be rock hard but is pretty fair. I’m sure both a pretty cheap so worth picking up.

19 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Yeah, arcade stick took me a good 3 months before I was as good as I had been with a pad and then almost a year I think before I started seeing better results.

Worth it though!

The raiden games are no joke. I'd maybe play more forgiving games while you're learning stick so it's less frustrating when you make mistakes.

My big problem was that I was forever hitting the diagonals by accident.

Something chill with autobomb would be great. Have you played blue wish resurrection plus? - https://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/winnt/game/fh452584.html

I made it to Stage 2 with all 3 lives preserved, and then proceeded to lose them all without even getting to the boss. :lol: Still progress at least.

I haven't played Blue Wish, or any PC stuff in fact. Looks good though. I'm focusing on old consoles (PS1 and PS2 to start) playing through a CRT set up, which perhaps limits me as far as more forgiving options go!