IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Played some mushi 1.5, original (no max) with the green shot tonight. This one.

JapVtpi.jpg

Man, I forgot how much fun it was!
I'm gonna try and beat my score.

X1fxM0U.jpg

Not bad for a first rusty run!
You get a huge bonus for lives left at the end so even though you have to play aggressively and point blank the enemies for score if you can, it's still worth being slightly cautious at the right moments too!

It's a good mode to play if you're new to the game I think, it's a lot more lenient, and way more fun.

6 hours ago, englishbob said:

I spent a bit of time today with Mushihimesama on the Switch. I'll admit I've had it on Steam for a bit, but not on console - so it made a nice change. Does anyone like Stage 3? I remember this not being its greatest moment.

Wash your mouth out Mushi stage 3 is awesome!

I had to remind myself which that stage was and yeah, I like it too. It's kind of the R-Type 'giant ship stage' thing I guess and I quite like those bang in the middle of a game to help break things up a little. When I was grinding it out I remember constantly fucking up getting the extend right at the last minute.

11 hours ago, Jolly said:

Crimzon Clover has gone on sale just at the same time Mushihimesama is released, which has put me in a bit of a quandary. Anyone got strong feelings about which I should go for first? The former looks very much My Kind of Shmup, but there's always something to be said for playing stuff on release for the shared experience and that. 

Has to be both, for me. Both at 40 euro each, I would still get them. Such depth and fun. Sorry that's not helpful. Music is better in mushi :D

Buy both  +1

Mushihimesama was a lovey surprise release!

So, now I have several switch shmups, but I’m not great on the switch’s pad.   Any recommends for sticks?  I have a a 360 Madcatz TE - would an adaptor be any good?  Or, the 8bitDo stick looks quite nice if anyone can recommend?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Arcade-Nintendo-Switch-Windows/dp/B08GJC5WSS/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&qid=1624002754&sr=8-7&srs=7264166031

15 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Yeah, I think it's the other way round, isn't it? The black labels are more forgiving.
Deathsmiles mega black label I 1cc'ed first go even with the lack of slowdown on the steam port, and I got my futari black label clear before the main game. That's definitely easier.

It's all so confusing! I remember the first time loading up a cave game and seeing all those modes and just thinking "default original please, to start, which one's that?"

Stage 3 I hated at first, but I learned to love.

It's intense! I really like blowing all the bits of the boss up and there's some really cool tight dodges and slowdown during that bit.

I've ran out of upvotes, don't think I'm being snide if you don't get one. I'm not intentionally leaving anyone out! Why is there a limit? I've got so much more love to give!

From the sophstar thread on the shmups forum. That's a yikes from me, Clive.

asd.jpg

Did you do Deathsmiles on level 999 on your first run? Fair play if you did, I cannot fathom lvl 999 whatsoever.

5 hours ago, phillv85 said:

Did you do Deathsmiles on level 999 on your first run? Fair play if you did, I cannot fathom lvl 999 whatsoever.

Haha, no sir, no I did not.
I avoided level 999 like the plague. I've only had that one shot of MBL to be honest and I couldn't really feel that much difference.
It was around the launch of the steam port and I thought "I'll have a try of this now before they fix the lack of slowdown, it'll be a fun novelty" but of course, they never fixed the slowdown.
Slowdown is fine in all the other modes but MBL is just, there's like hardly any, it's superbigboy mode!
I still have the replay on my harddrive, I'll check the score, I don't know if it was any good, I was just playing for survival really.

rzIJCDt.jpg

4 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I own deathsmiles I and II but have hardly played them at all.

Aw man, you need to change that! Deathsmiles is rocking! Hopefully the switch ports will get you into giving them a good go.

5 hours ago, Stoikovich said:

So, now I have several switch shmups, but I’m not great on the switch’s pad.   Any recommends for sticks?  I have a a 360 Madcatz TE - would an adaptor be any good?  Or, the 8bitDo stick looks quite nice if anyone can recommend?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Arcade-Nintendo-Switch-Windows/dp/B08GJC5WSS/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&qid=1624002754&sr=8-7&srs=7264166031

You could get a brook UFB (damn, out of stock again, they don't hang around long) for your madcatz and an LS-40-01 if you're looking for a stick recommendation!

SE mounting plate for the madcatz, though I just screw mine straight into the shell in the qanba q4. See if you can do that.

Haven't heard anything bad about the hori rap 5's if you want something that'll work out of the box - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Real-Arcade-Pro-Hayabusa

/dp/B01N4P40LG

Identical to the rap 4 shell according to this so you could fit an ls-40-01 if you didn't like the stock stick, and a brook board for lower latency and more console compatibility later on down the line if you fancied.

Somebody else will be able to tell you about the quality of the 8bitdo stick. I don't know nothing about that, but it looks hella sexy!

6 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Black labels are usually a bit more mental, but also allow more cancels and that kind of thing.

I own deathsmiles I and II but have hardly played them at all.

That’s kinda what I meant, a skilled player might find them easier, but to the average human there’s just shit loads more stuff to contend with, especially when they have lunatic difficulties.

you definitely need to remedy that about DS. Try IIX mode on DS2,  just remember to tap lock shot once you have enough souls chasing you and you’ll have a wonderful time.

Everyone in the shmupjunkie discord is patting each other on the back for being in the "200,000 club"

The gods are toying with me.

199,140 - https://streamable.com/u1kc5h

Only got until sunday before the competition ends! I'll have a few more goes tomorrow, but I really wanna play mushi instead now!

"mamma didn't raise no tenth place chump", at least I was right about that. I'm 17th now.

I ordered another Brook UFB from Arcade World the other day and got a message saying some products were missing from their last shipment, and that they should arrive next week. If you want one from them, keep checking the site!

(Also, if you have a 5-pin joystick harness, you could get the kind with the pin headers soldered on for an easier installation.)

I used an unmodded Virtua Stick High Grade on the Switch last night (via the Brook PS3/4 - SW converter), to play some Mushi, and it felt laggy as hell, like Reco was sliding on ice. Other sticks have felt fine with this converter on the same TV. I know the PCB in the High Grade was known for dropping inputs occasionally, but was it notorious for lag too?

Anyway, hoping to gut it soon!

Your pic has got me wanting World Explosion now too! I'd been hanging on for the PC port, but since I'll soon have a good stick setup for the Switch again, I might as well support it there... :P

Edit: can I only buy from the Japanese PSN store on PS4 with gift cards, or is there some way to get it to ignore my card's billing address? PayPal doesn't seem to work either...

Brief touch on DF weekly about Cave / Switch releases. Sort of backs up my previous comments that it was a bit of a PR disaster from the Direct/E3 showing as it was only in the Japanese version, hence it catching everyone out. They did well to get it on the Nintendo stores outside of Japan, but fucked it on publicising the fact.

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

Your pic has got me wanting World Explosion now too! I'd been hanging on for the PC port, but since I'll soon have a good stick setup for the Switch again, I might as well support it there... :P

Edit: can I only buy from the Japanese PSN store on PS4 with gift cards, or is there some way to get it to ignore my card's billing address? PayPal doesn't seem to work either...

Think you have to buy store credit for the relevant region. 

Any word or updates as to when the taoplan shooters (and specifically Outzone) might be wending their way to Switch? Seems like over a year ago this was mentioned and would have expected to have heard more by now if it was going to happen.

4 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Haven't heard anything since. I think M2 are being tight lipped for whatever reason. Hopefully they've been beavering away.

Nature finds a way.
Greetings from sunny Berwick!

x6TYV7I.jpg

Have you ever 1cc’d ‘galuda? I still cannot beat that last bloody pattern.

No, I haven't! It's really annoying.
I think I'll try and do that for my next trick.
Had a couple of runs today. Rusty as hell, but it's really good fun.

I remember someone on reddit gave me some decent advice about that last pattern.
They said, if you do get into trouble and need to bomb, so long as you do it to the side and don't hit the boss with your lasers, you won't fill his health back up.

Hopefully it's just the same thing that happened to Barrage Fantasia.

That got pulled from all EU stores due to some ratings rhhubarb.

If that's all it is, it'll be back, but I think that took a couple of weeks to be resolved.

I very nearly blew the dust off my switch to bring to the caravan! That'll have been just my luck! Go to buy mushi and it's not there and I'm stuck playing bloody mario cars on an arcade stick!