Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Oooooh! Updated space moth. Yes please!
Criminally underrated.

Physical for the grabbers - https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/star-hunter-dx-space-moth-lunar-edition

Tighter cut of the Star Hunter trailer

If you haven't played the demo yet, get on it. It's magnificent! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1451030/Star_Hunter_DX/

On 05/07/2021 at 10:22, ImmaculateClump said:

Progear was the first bullet hell game I played in mame, I think. I suppose that should have been my "big impact" game on that questionnaire thing!

I think guwange was the one that got my brain using cogs it never knew existed and properly tickled me giddy though, so I went with that.

Both such amazing games I'd probably agree that guwange edging progear just because its a bit more creative I thought. Unfortunately I never did find the necessary cogs to get properly into bullet hell games and would still prefer something in the more tradional rtype / nemesis style but those seem to have fallen out of fashion nowadays.

Yeah, bullet hell is a lot more fashionable, it's true. Still loads of oldschool style games being made though especially in the PC doujin and indie scene.

Satazius I played recently, you'd like that.

Is Natsuki too bullet hell for you? Because I like both, I find it quite hard to know where the line is. I suppose everyone must draw their own line.

I wouldn't consider Bike Banditz bullet hell, played that recently and it's excellent!

Michiel asked if I wanted to be in the schildmaid beta few days ago.

It's good fun, but man, when does this game end?! :lol:

He says he'll consider making a separate truncated mode which is like a "best of" with less stages that takes less time to run through, but now I've relaxed into the pace of the game a bit more, I think he might be right to stick to his guns, stick to his vision of this being a big sprawling epic space opera!

It's good fun! Stages are a tad baggy and a bit samey. I still think it needs tightening up a lot, but man, yup, this is good.

TKAA2YA.jpg

What's your scores on normal and bigboy mode @Spoonman @Marlew ? Have you cleared it yet?

@ImmaculateClump It is long, and nope, I've not cleared it! You got a loop or so further than my longest run. In terms of score, I got into my usual restart routine of trying to maximise the first couple of stages and restarting if I took a hit. It's not really the game for that, as you say. I think my best was 25m or so by loop 3 but I always shat the bed. Looking forward to it coming to console as well hopefully. It's different and I think the scoring system is really satisfying when you get going, very addictive. 

Not played for ages though because just not set the PC up in the new place. Same with the Switch. Just PS5 and 360. Back into Returnal and DOJ. 

18 minutes ago, Marlew said:

25m or so by loop 3

Woah. Impressive!
Were you using the red ship?
I'm trying to get my clear first and that feels like it'll be easier with green, but aye, that's definitely the one for scoring, you can leave loads of enemies alive without accidentally wiping them out with your homing missiles.

Very similar energy to star hunter dx, I thought, but that has the bullet cancelling instead of the bullet gobbling in this. Can't wait for that to come out too!

Ooh, you got a proper desktop now, or is it still that smint thing?

You proper obsessed with doj, like? Every time I see you talk about shmups, it's always DOJ :D

A change is as good as a rest you know. Don't want you getting burnt out and going back to elf hunter or whatever.

Hey peeps. I saw a verticle shooter on the switch that was recommended here a few months back. Someone made a seperate thread, and was saying people should try the caravan mode on it. I can't find the thread now, does anyone remember what the name of the game was?

Everyone should be obsessed with doj :D

guess this is unlikely but anyone know whats up with assault shell controller config? it seems to lose my settings every time i start it and takes ages to get setup each time, its pretty annoying. When the controls work its been good fun!

7 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Hey peeps. I saw a verticle shooter on the switch that was recommended here a few months back. Someone made a seperate thread, and was saying people should try the caravan mode on it. I can't find the thread now, does anyone remember what the name of the game was?

Missile Dancer. Enjoy! 

8 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Were you using the red ship?

You proper obsessed with doj, like? Every time I see you talk about shmups, it's always DOJ :D

I think I was using the green as well, the homing missiles can be really useful because you can just tap once or twice and it will kill something to keep your chain going while you concentrate on absorbing the bullets. You're also better dropping your combo chain but keeping max bullet multiplier and letting your shield reset. I can't capture footage unfortunately because my PC is still the smint. The game performs well but I can't record at the same time. 

And yeah, I just find DOJ the most satisfying and crunchy, I love the destruction and patterns and atmosphere. Every few runs, I get a bit better at dealing with some section or particular boss pattern. I may never clear it before my faculties go but I can NMNB to stage 4 now (about 10% of the time) and I've got the stage 4 boss down OK. There are just some really difficult sections I can't do consistently without some flukey dodges. A steady improvement though over the last six months or so and because I've not hammered it, I've not burned out. I've been playing some Futari, as well, just Original Mode, only casual but trying to score a bit and push the multiplier, as well. A lot of fun but no real goal, I just really like it. 

Generally, I'm in a 'play fewer games but give them more time' kinda mood these days. Even back to Returnal which I clearly fluked around launch. 

4 hours ago, Marlew said:

I think I was using the green as well, the homing missiles can be really useful because you can just tap once or twice and it will kill something to keep your chain going while you concentrate on absorbing the bullets.

Aaaaah, right. I need to get over my mindless urge to keep that blaster button depressed.

I just can't seem to convince my brain that it's a good idea "Are you mad? Don't let the phasers cool down! There's alien scum out there!"

You're also better dropping your combo chain but keeping max bullet multiplier and letting your shield reset.

Aaaaaaaah! I've been hell bent on not letting my chain drop. Riiiiight. Good advice.

I realised the other day that I wasn't using my special weapon nearly enough. I was nursing those missiles and saving them for emergencies, but it regenerates so quickly, I'm being way more generous with the missiles now. Everyone gets a missile.

Even back to Returnal which I clearly fluked around launch. 

You did NOT complete returnal first go :lol:

We've been through this.

8 hours ago, spatular said:

guess this is unlikely but anyone know whats up with assault shell controller config? it seems to lose my settings every time i start it and takes ages to get setup each time, its pretty annoying. When the controls work its been good fun!

Aw man, that doesn't sound like fun.

Jet Buster is like that for me, have to rebind the controls every time I load it up. Only takes a second though.

It's weird because all the other grybanser fox game that use the same engine and everything never forget my settings.

I'd just set up a controller config in steam that overrides the game, that way it'll automatically load when you start the game, save you fannying about every time.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/steam_controller/getting_started_for_players

@ImmaculateClump Haha, real talk, Returnal took me about twenty goes. Less than ten hours but total fluke build in the second half. Probably took me another eighty or hundred runs to beat the last boss again (this morning!). 

And yeah, with SMDX I tap quite slowly and let the missiles do most of the work, I mainly use the special to keep the chain going with the green ship. Think you get some i-frames with it as well, though. Can't remember. In later loops, I tended to get killed trying not to kill stuff too quickly, dropped my chain and got walloped by all the bullets I'd left on screen. I guess that's the exact challenge of the game, though. That's what it's designed around. 

On 09/07/2021 at 08:05, ImmaculateClump said:

Oooooh! Updated space moth. Yes please!
Criminally underrated.

Physical for the grabbers - https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/star-hunter-dx-space-moth-lunar-edition

Tighter cut of the Star Hunter trailer

If you haven't played the demo yet, get on it. It's magnificent! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1451030/Star_Hunter_DX/

Are these good then? Ugh, I need to stop buying games I'm barely playing.

Put a little bit more time into The Game Paradise and I'm enjoying it a lot more. I can reach stage 3 on one credit now and I'm finding it a lot less frustrating. Unfortunately, that's usually about my limit with shmups and all the hours in the world won't see me progress any further usually. The time between restarts is a bit annoying. I wonder if the PS4 version is better in that regard.

No i-frames on the special weapon OR the barrell roll I was told the other day, which was surprising!
I must have just had some fluky dodges with both. Pretty sure I barrel-rolled through a laser but it must have just been a happy accident timing wise.

Yeah, next run I think I'm gonna try tappa tapping for score and then just fucking that off later into the game when things get hairy and just playing for survival.

13 minutes ago, Marlew said:

@ImmaculateClump Haha, real talk, Returnal took me about twenty goes. Less than ten hours but total fluke build in the second half.

Blimey! I can't imagine it's one of those games where you can just luck a broken build and walk through the entire game.

Skillz!

6 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Jet Buster is like that for me, have to rebind the controls every time I load it up. Only takes a second though.

It's weird because all the other grybanser fox game that use the same engine and everything never forget my settings.

I'd just set up a controller config in steam that overrides the game, that way it'll automatically load when you start the game, save you fannying about every time.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/features/steam_controller/getting_started_for_players

cheers! that helped as it showed steam wasn't recognising the controller, turns out it was remembering the control bindings but the pad only works in a certain mode or something so isn't recognised by the game untill you change the mode, so before i was randomly changing pad/game settings till it worked, now i have a plan

- go into the steam controller config

- hold B + start untill it shows up as a 360 pad

- in the game select 360 pad and try to bind up

- hold UP + start untill i can bind UP

guess i might try and find a driver for windows, or something to try and get the pad working in its default mode as that might cut out some of the hastle. sure i've used the pad without these problems before, probably windows messing stuff up.

Hmmmm. It's not inertia on the movement, it's like the screen is split into a grid of about 12 squares and when you tap you'll move quite a distance to the next grid and you'll get that weird deceleration as it centres you in the square.

There's a sort of interestingly oldschool arcadey intentional restriction there rather than it feeling just like bad design and having broken movement controls.

Yeah, that's actually quite fun! Could do without the vertical scrolling, like.

There's your score to beat.

NA2YcaP.jpg

I'll just wait for the release, I think.
Feels a bit like rampage at times when you're smashing all the buildings up!

Grab all the humans that fall, I think that replenishes your health.

@ImmaculateClumpsame as @Marlew I've not cleared it. The game is a very different pace to most of what I play and when I have a bit of time it's good to get into. I really like the soundtrack, but do tend to play with other music on instead (but that's not the only game I do that with. I do it a lot to stop OSTs becoming too grating after hours of play).

So, I have to announce that I am absolutely shitting myself over participation in the Japanese dodonpachi livestream relay in August. What the hell was I thinking, submitting to this?  I'm segacollection. 

Oh, my god. I'd never have the balls to do something like that.
I genuinely get stage fright when I press the record button on shadowplay :lol:

Good luck, brother!
You've got this!

Just to be clear. Have I got this right? You've entered a shmup showcase promising to 1cc a game you've never 1cc'ed before?

SDOJ is the one where you get like one life as well, innit?

You'd best cue that training montage!

Go on, lad!

Indeed, I submitted before I had the 1cc clear. I never thought I would be selected. However, since then, I've 1cc'd the Xbox 360 mode, which is the one I will be live streaming. It's somewhat neglected, as most people think it's bloody easy, but I thought "sod that, it's just the right amount of challenge for me" and so the steaks are high. A guaranteed 1cc it is not. 

Indeed, you have 1 life, but a health gauge. That gauge starts at 10,000 and each hit is a -2000 autobomb. Normal bomb is -1500. The only way to increase the health, is to collect green stars when hypering... but that increases the rank! So it's a trade off between score, health, rank, and risk. 

The whole event should be great to watch (aside from my absolute shitshmupping), with my own personal fav coming at the end of day 2 with Kayar doing his B-EXPERT in SDOJ (on the 6k PCB, yeah). It's some of the most impressive play you'll ever witness, arguably.

I intend on playing this on my Astro City ❤️ 

Edit: thanks for the support guys :)

yeah SDOJ is super hard! good luck Spoonman :D

in an attempt to work out what that tweet said i used google translate - sometimes it came out with dodonpachi saito - which is close, but i think i prefer this translation of sdoj:

Angry Read Bee Maximum Wolf

Ah right, it's the 360 arrange? I'm not familiar with sdoj. It's like the one game I never got round to buying on the 360 and I've only played it a few times in that one build of xenia it plays semi-nice with.

Good luck. You gonna grind the shit out of it before the date?

Yeah I will indeed grind it, try to get the 1cc down and this "routing" malarky people always talk about. I love shmups and some "routes" come naturally to me, other times I have no fucking clue and it's chaos. 

Ideally I will try to be pushing the rank up pretty high to a) make it a challenge/interesting to watch and b) get some decent score on the go.

Right now I am nobbing around with Dimahoo (MiSTer CPS2) and for some reason ESPrade again. I am away from home at the end of the week, and will take the switch, so I'll maybe do some mushi.

However, I will be grinding the hell out of SDOJ after that, and think I'll stream most of it if I can.

I completely agree! It's weirdly "dynamic" to play, I feel. Good OST as well, and the art is great. It looks so good on cab. Bonus is that I can play it on switch to get used to some patterns etc. I can get to stage 4 without being hit, then it goes to shit. That rhymes. Haiku times?