Shmups

Dr Seedyman

God I suck at Hydorah. Perfected the easy first level, got myself a nice range of primary and secondary powerups as well as a couple of bombs, saved, then tried the second level. I keep dying in the same place over and over again and it's entirely my fault. Stupid me and my stupid hands! :hmm:

Seems to be very quick but the pre-orders for the J 360 version of Dodonpachi Resurrection have just gone up (it was only announced at the weekend)...

DoDonPachi Resurrection [Limited Edition]

http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-9oq-71-br-49-en-84-j-70-3xkw.html

Price: US$ 119.90 (~77.48 GBP)

DoDonPachi Resurrection

http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-9oq-71-br-49-en-84-j-70-3xkl.html

Price: US$ 79.90 (~51.63 GBP)

Release date November 25th.

Lets hope this is region free

I believe Cave released Akai Katana to arcades today. Given their current attitude, I think we'll see a port announced within the next 8-12 months.

Apparently Dai Fukkatsu/Resurrection iPhone has been submitted to Apple, which should give us a release by the end of the month hopefully. The next release is also said to be under development. I'm hoping for Mushihimesama personally :eyebrows:

This thread has got me itching to play a good shmup but the trouble is I suck and I mean REALLY suck. Can you recommend me some easy shmups to play? Something that you shmup veterans would look down on because of the lack of challenge ;)

To give you an idea of my skills, I've never been past level 5 of Aero Fighters on the SNES or level 3 of Ikaruga :facepalm:

I've got a modded Ps2, and Pal Wii/360/PS3

Anything that springs to mind?

level 3 of Ikaruga :facepalm:

normal mode on one credit? i don't think that's bad at all. although i'm not that good either so maybe not the best judge.

i'd recommend espgaluda on the ps2, or mushihimesama futari, or espgaluda 2 both on the 360 (both region free standard editions, espgaluda 2 limited edition is region locked), espgaluda is one of caves easiest games and is great, untill the last boss anyway and the other 2 have easier novice and arrange modes, futari is probably my favorite (although the arrange mode isn't so great), and cave > anything else imo anyway :) although you might not like the bullet hell style - try dodonpachi on mame to get an idea maybe.

Any of you played Darius Burst for the PSP?

Is it worth the price to import?

I'd have to say no, not really worth more than a tenner unfortunately. Level and boss design is average, and I'd only rate it a notch above Thunderforce VI. The state of Horis is pretty wretched these days :(

Steel Dragon EX is ridiculously easy. Castle of Shikigami 2 is certainly worth a bash, or Gradius V - all on PS2

Thanks MA7, I picked up Steel Dragon EX, it's an ugly mofo but the difficulty level is pitched right for my limited skills. I prefer Steel Dragon to Steel Dragon Extreme though.

ARGH! FFS! I've been stuck on the end of level boss on level 2 of Hydorah for a couple of days now. My flatmate downloaded and invited me to play a game on his laptop. I then proceeded to chump the chimp out of the sucker. My flatmate now has a save with a shield, 5 lives, and all manner of goodies while I now can't get past the blinking bugger even with all of those items in tow. Just whittled him to his last legs and got hit by a stray bullet. *sigh* If I start balding at least I'll know what caused it. Ripping my bloody hair out!

This thread has got me itching to play a good shmup but the trouble is I suck and I mean REALLY suck. Can you recommend me some easy shmups to play? Something that you shmup veterans would look down on because of the lack of challenge ;)

To give you an idea of my skills, I've never been past level 5 of Aero Fighters on the SNES or level 3 of Ikaruga :facepalm:

I've got a modded Ps2, and Pal Wii/360/PS3

Anything that springs to mind?

I'm a bit like you, in that I like a shmup, but I suck too. With that in mind, and as no expert, Omega Five on Live Arcade is a good one. Only 800 points too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Cave updates courtesy of Cave-STG

DaiFukkatsu 1.51: (Out Nov 24th)

With the Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 X360 port just two weeks away, here are some of the changes and features of the ver 1.51 DLC-only mode available to all preorders of the SE and LE that you can look forward to:

-3 buttons instead of 4, just like Daioujou. Bomb button doubles as hyper button.

-hyper mode time has been reduced.

-Kill enemies with laser and you get more points than with shot.

-When the autobomb triggers, all of your bomb stock depletes (similar to Ketsui DS)

-Combo doesn't cut off when you use bombs.

-Bombs increase when some as of yet unknown requirement is reached.

-Stage layouts, enemy positions, and other aspects of the game system are exactly the same as ver 1.5

-You have to destroy a boss while in hyper mode, otherwise you don't get the star items to collect afterward.

-Use a lot of hypers, and it will go to the 2nd loop patterns

A PCB version was made, and was playable at the recent Cave meeting on 10/30/2010.

Other stuff:

New Vert in 2011. No other info, so we don't know if it is a sequel or a new IP.

-MMP/PS port is due out February 2011

-Esprade port would be hard due to copyright problems (w/ Atlus).

-Progear port would be hard due to copyright problems (w/ Capcom).

-Guwange port was done with no profit in mind

-Ibara and Ibara Kuro ports are being considered.

-Cave doesn't have some of the old games on PCB anymore. Sometimes they will

go and buy one of their PCBs at a PCB shop if they need the game for something.

-Cave is unable to fix some of their own PCBs.

-No plans for a Dodonpachi port, but they might toss it in as an Omake mode for their adventure game.

-There is only one Dodonpachi Campaign PCB in the world, and they can't find the original code anymore, so chances of a port are close to zero.

-They're making an adventure game because Asada likes adventure games.

-Why no collaborations with other companies? There were talks in the past, but they all broke down.

-Why no score attack events with the home ports? Microsoft told Cave they couldn't do it.

-They want to continue to release PCB games in the arcades.

-There are no secrets (levels, characters, etc) in Akai Katana.

-Why was the DSII Arcade port so poor? They didn't plan on having it in IIX in the beginning (so it was slapped together last minute).

I would think that Ibara/Kuro would be a double pack, I'm still surprised they didn't put Pink Sweets in an Ibara pack rather than with Much Muchi Pork. Regarding DDP Campaign, apparently the source code was sealed to prevent unauthorised versions, so that may never appear as a port.

• 2 months later...