Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Nah, the ramp up does need slowing down, glad to know it's not just me. I've probably toned it down in various ways about 7 times now, so another time won't hurt!

I've been playing a bit of Star Hunter tonight as well, the bullet cancelling is incredibly satisfying. I keep forgetting to use bombs though, and hadn't read the instructions until after my last game so didn't realise they recharged.

yeah i've been playing some star hunter too, i like it, but i'm pretty bad at it. also keep forgetting to bomb, the bombs are cool, they don't do much but i think the main purpose is to recharge the slowdown mode. the robot makes it easier but isn't as exciting and seems to make scoring points much harder - seems like you need to use the narrow shot to get the multiplier up, but the narrow shot is pretty weak. also seems pretty hard to shoot stuff sometimes on the level with the solid blocks as the blocks block the bullets.

If anyone still hasn't picked them up..

Psykyo Shooting Stars Alpha (STRIKERS 1945, STRIKERS 1945 II, STRIKERS 1945 III, SOL DIVIDE, Dragon Blaze, and ZERO GUNNER 2) .

.and Bravo (Samurai Aces, Samurai Aces II: TENGAI, Samurai Aces III: SENGOKU CANNON, GUNBARICH, GUNBIRD, and GUNBIRD2) are half price on the Switch eshop.. £18 each.. 

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Psikyo-Shooting-Stars-Alpha-1701913.html?

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Psikyo-Shooting-Stars-Bravo-1710270.html?

1 hour ago, spatular said:

yeah i've been playing some star hunter too, i like it, but i'm pretty bad at it. also keep forgetting to bomb, the bombs are cool, they don't do much but i think the main purpose is to recharge the slowdown mode. the robot makes it easier but isn't as exciting and seems to make scoring points much harder - seems like you need to use the narrow shot to get the multiplier up, but the narrow shot is pretty weak. also seems pretty hard to shoot stuff sometimes on the level with the solid blocks as the blocks block the bullets.

Yeah, the bombs seem to be there mainly to keep your 'bullet time' meter charged. Here's a primer based on what I understand so far, for anyone who hasn't played it: you destroy enemies and collect blue cubes which fill up a 'bullet time' meter, which allows you to slow down time and begin collecting gold cubes from the enemies, which are subject to a multiplier you can increase either by simply killing enemies or by grazing. You have three bombs, which don't do much in terms of clearing the screen (as spatular says), but exist largely to allow you to fill up your bullet-time meter more quickly, since they convert bullets within a certain radius into blue cubes. Where it gets exciting is that, by grazing bullets, you can fill up another meter which earns you your bombs back, so if you manage all these elements well, you can get into a nice loop whereby everything recharges everything else and you're rarely out of bullet time, and constantly hoovering in massive gold cubes. It's a lot of fun. I'm really enjoying this mad alternate reality in which European-made shooters aren't absolutely rancid.

That's all in theory, of course - I've only spent about 10 mins with it and haven't cleared stage 3 yet. :P

I agree the cat seems to be weaker for scoring and is maybe there just to net new players a survival clear. A shame, really - the game hypes it up quite a bit! 

The Zerodiv ports on PC are very bare-bones but basically decent budget releases. I haven't played the Switch versions, but I think the main issue there is relatively high input lag, somewhere around 6 frames IIRC. I don't think there have been patches to address this - it might even be something going on at hardware level.

The input lag is real for the psikyo games on the switch, like 6, and 7 frames for some games, and besides that, the ports are a bit borked in lots of ways.

There's a weird thing in samurai aces for example where unless enemies come below the UI at the top where it shows your score, they can't be damaged. This might not seem like much, but it changes the game enough for it to be fucking annoying when you're close to a 1cc! There's a boss near the end that keeps bouncing up off the screen and because off this bug, you WILL lose a life to him.

The other differences I've encountered in other games, I didn't find game breaking.

If you're wanting the games portable for messing around with and you're happy with the price and you're not gonna be grinding the second loop or anything, I'd say go for it.

I have most of them on pc where the lag is totally fine but I just play the games in shmupmame because they're more accurate.

Wow! It's great that everyone's playing star hunter now! :D Ketsui is dead, long live star hunter DX!

Finally 1cc'ed it on normal today!

Had to be the one run where I completely arsed up the 3rd boss though!

https://streamable.com/zlm9z1

I just assumed the hitboxes on those big bullets would just be the flashing nipple bits, but they must be a bit bigger.

31,052,404 your score to beat!

Thanks man! :D

I have no idea, is the honest answer.
I think it all just depends on how many bullets you cancel.

There should be way more bullets on screen during the final phase, but if you time shooting the armour really well, that can all add up too, so I think it's six and two threes. I

Not worth trying to do both in one go, you'd be cutting it really fine and wouldn't have a full screen of bullets to cancel.

Better to build your multiplier up through grazing, go into bullet time and stop shooting and you can graze quite easily then without damaging the boss and get your multiplier nice and high.

Yeah, I think so. Stop shooting if you have to, your rapid shot builds up the multiplier faster, I think and does less damage which is good.

I tried the bloke character the other day and his rapid shot is piss weak and his strong shot is very strong so it's really good for scoring and his multiplier seems to get high a lot quicker.

It's definitely the expert character, you have to move around a lot more and make sure you're actually hitting things later in the game :D Great for scoring though. Once I'm really confident with normal mode and happy with my Luna score, I'll switch to him before moving onto bullet hell I think.

^ congrats on the 1cc!

Played a load more star hunter tonight, been doing pretty badly, only got to stage 5 with all the credits maybe once, but then had a good run and got there on one credit scoring 14m. Stages 4 and 5 are pretty nuts, constant deaths there, well on all the levels really. Its hardcore in a similar way to doj, in that if you miss something it wont stop firing, you might need to use some bombs to get back to some sort of manageable level of bullets on the screen.

Yeah, yeah, it's like risk reward crowd control, innit? Leave a load of enemies alive so that they shoot a load of bullets you can cancel, but don't overdo it and overwhelm yourself.

I was playing bullet hell the other day and got to this part where I always leave the enemies alive to get a load of bullets flying about and there was waaaaay more bullets and I was like "eeeek!", totally cacked my bags, you definitely have to tweak your strategy and relearn the stages for the higher difficulty.

The great thing about the hard difficulty is that since there are loads more bullets, there's way more to graze, and you're pulling off big cancels on the bosses a lot easier.

That last stage is still gonna be a nightmare though I'd imagine!

I just wanna play normal still for now since it's so much fun, I think. Wanna get a really big score with Luna if I can.

Bullet hell meets Ace Attorney, anyone?

Yurukill: The Calumination Games
Escape Adventure & Bullet Hell Shoot 'Em Up

Each chapter [of the main mode] is based on a different set of characters in this deep, multifaceted story. Unravel the mystery behind the incidents as you close in on the truth behind Yurukill Land!

"Adventure Part"

system_01_01.png

Investigate attractions and uncover clues to help solve the puzzles you encounter. With their sights set on victory, the teams face their attractions in the Yurukill Games. The documents you acquire by solving puzzles are the key to unlocking the secrets behind everything. Glean hints from helpful conversations there to support the player and ensure even the toughest riddles aren’t an obstacle to enjoying the game.

Lay it all on the line in extreme, life or death cross-examinations! Executioners can end the life of their Prisoners any time via their Yurukill Passports. With their lives hanging in the balance, Prisoners must face cross-examination at the hands of their Executioners. Make the correct selections within the time limit and weave through all the obstacles in the conversations!

"Shooting Part"

system_05_01.png

Experience the cutting-edge BR (Brain Reality), developed by Yurukill, Inc. Prisoners and Executioners pilot Yurukill Fighters within the virtual reality generated by the BR. Prisoners must stake their lives on these nail-biting firefights as they seek the truth behind the incidents they stand accused of! Difficulty can be adjusted for players wishing to focus on the story. Take to the helm of your Yurukill Fighter and delve into the details of your alleged crimes in high-speed quizzes. Gain lives for use in the BR depending on how many answers you get right.

As a Prisoner, you’ll be hunted down by a whole host of different foes. Defeat your assailants, and avoid being gunned down as you try and get through to your Executioner! Explore a visual representation of your Executioner’s mind. Use the evidence you acquire during the adventure sections to destroy the prejudices lurking in their heads, and free them from the notion that you, the Prisoner, are guilty. The neuron pathway is a visualization of the route leading to the core of the Executioner’s brain, containing what they perceive as the truth. Complete the sentences relating to each incident and clear a way through the labyrinth of thoughts. Face the Executioners in intense boss battles. Smash through “Mind Walls” and “Brain Barriers”—the shields that manifest to protect the Executioners’ innermost thoughts—and prove that you’ve been falsely accused!

https://yurukill.com/en/system/

Well, this is my run, now. a highlight on my channel:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1125350382

Quite a lot of people entered, the easiest way to see the "relay" (it wasn't hosted in one place, a digital baton was passed around by "raiding" the next streamer) would be to check out the channels of these players:

image.thumb.png.4ee711d7fd38ad7bfa12b57dfb92fd00.png

Honorable mentions:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1126068205

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1125938281

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1125003030

Excellent work, Spoony! At a caravan at the minute and the internet is lousy. I'll make sure I check out the run when I get back.

On 21/08/2021 at 13:27, Spoonman said:

Wasn't a perfect run but also wasn't a total shit-show. Now I will play other things!

So long as you didn't make a show of yourself. I would have absolutely choked. I go to pot if I think someones watching me eat a sandwich! Salad cream in my hair, forget how to breath, everything.

I’ve just ordered the Deathsmiles special editions for switch and PS4 on Amazon Japan, got the CD soundtrack version with one of them as well. It’s going to cost a little over £200 9 days before Christmas for games I already own multiple times. I’m such a dick.

5 hours ago, phillv85 said:

I’ve just ordered the Deathsmiles special editions for switch and PS4 on Amazon Japan, got the CD soundtrack version with one of them as well. It’s going to cost a little over £200 9 days before Christmas for games I already own multiple times. I’m such a dick.

Just done the same.  Thanks