Shmups

Dr Seedyman

3 hours ago, viewtiful jim said:

Razion Ex

Rejoice!

I only had a quick blast of it last week, but ... well it might be a grower rather than a shower. I'll have to give it some more time, but it all felt like such an anti climax after wanting to try it for so long. Don't wanna be a Debbie Downer does Dallas, but I'd temper your expectations a little.

Blaynix is fab, has the deeper scoring mechanics that I felt were missing from zakesta.
Music goes great with the game. Normal is great fun without being too hard. Here's your score to beat.

EABwWFW.jpg

Cotton reboot is getting a pc release after all because fuck me and my wallet.

"Unfortunatelly, we don't release Cotton Reboot for the PC this time:/
I still hope, that you find a version that you are interested in:)"

"Hiya, thanks for the reply.
Does that mean that it won't be released on pc at all?
Should I just buy the ps4 version or will it be coming to pc in the future?"

"Hi again,

Exactly, there won't be a release for PC:/"

Limmy: "You're a liar, lllliar, llllllliar"

The majestic black bird is coming to ps4/ps5 some time this year. Get on that if you haven't already.

Techbeat Heart releasing in a few days

Also, this looks promising, coming in 3 weeks time - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1696200/Hell_Blasters/

1cc'ed Dragon Spirit: The New Legend on the nes today. Man, that's really good fun. Reminds me of really loving games where you played as a dragon when I was little but nothing I played back then was as good as this!

Nice and chill but still great fun.

There's a score to beat if you fancy playing.

XGoSdql.jpg

Got void gore on a whim after buying Espgaluda II and damn it completely took me by surprise with how good it is. I’m normally turned right off by the idea of a procedurally generated shooter but this reminds me a lot of judgement Silversword and honestly randomness goes perfectly with a wave based game where level design isn’t really a thing.

I also got project starship, played it for 2 minutes just now and errrrrr…. Maybe tomorrow.

I saw there’s a new shump out on eshop this week, will be looking at the feedback once it is out.

Yeah, void gore is fun.

55 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

I saw there’s a new shump out on eshop this week, will be looking at the feedback once it is out.

Crisis wing? If it's that one, it's old-school to a fault, though I believe it got patched since I last played it to make the "gradius syndrome" less punishing.

It looked nice, but it was a slog chipping away at the later levels on release and the gameplay was, dare I say, a little too straight and dull to entice you back.

I'll have to fire it up again and see if it's more fun to play.

There it is, in the 1.0.4 update - https://steamcommunity.com/app/1402090/discussions/0/2840039920176907059/

Adjustments:

• Gameplay change: When the player is destroyed a mercy power-up is dropped every time the player had a sub-weapon installed.
• Gameplay tweak: Mercy power-ups dropped after being destroyed will move upwards before starting to float. They also move 30% slower than regular power-ups thus making them easier to catch.

Played some more of my recent switch purchases.

Project Starship isn’t shit it just looks like it. It’s actually quite decent. Everything clearly went into the design and dynamic audio.

Espgaluda II feels really complicated the more I get into it. In Mushi and DFK the key elements to scoring can be summed up as “point blank” and “chain kills” I think while this has you needing to metagame when and where you’re supposed to use ascension on top of how to most efficiently farm gems. It’s good but once you start going deeper it’s like damn dude I really need to study this.

I think I’ve seen everything void gore has now so I’ve decided the only way to beat it for real is to reach hell level 100. I think it can carry my interest that long; the guy with the 1 billion score on the leaderboard certainly thought so.

I never really got into Espgaluda 2 because it's so much harder than the first game which I played to death. I really need to give it a little more time.

I've just started playing Natsuki Chronicles on PS4, got tired of waiting for whichever limited run company it is that's making the physical copies and bought that and Ginga Force digitally. Not sure how I feel about it just yet, the levelling up mechanic is.....interesting I think? I don't know, I prefer my games to be a little simpler, I don't really want to be underpowered then work up to being overpowered. I'd rather the devs just gave me a nice balance. I'll play some more today and see how I get on with it. 

I'm never sure what to think of stuff like that either. On the one hand I don't think developers should be bound to rigid structures and mechanics but on the other grinding just feels wrong in shooters. It reminds me of when that Sky Force game was on PS+ and a non-shmup-playing mate was saying that he thought it was good and being a total arsehole I was pretty much like "Let me explain why you're wrong to be enjoying this."

I always feel a bit conflicted about meta-progression in roguelikes/roguelites too, Obviously it's possible to balance it well but even then I don't really like that feeling of 'have I actually improved or did I just get to the end because I've unlocked loads of good stuff now so it's manageable if RNG is in my favour?'

I think Void Gore did the progression system well but that's just because it was a tool to help ease you into the game until you completely understood it. By the time you're fully kitted up you're actually educated on how the game works and are ready to take on all the waves that come at you. Honestly Void Gore is a good case study for how to properly make a randomised shmup. It works well for wave-based games and such but in progression based games it's a bit iffy (that said Psyvariar Delta has a very good level up system that I'm fully behind).

2 hours ago, phillv85 said:

Not sure how I feel about it just yet, the levelling up mechanic is.....interesting I think?

Are you playing story mode in natsuki? It's arcade mode that you want to be playing.

Story mode lets you upgrade and choose different weapons and stuff.

Story mode is for the shit munchers, same as overpowered permanent progression grinding in roguelites, although it does double as a good practise mode where you can get used to some stages before tackling them in arcade mode (stage 7: revolt, I'm looking at you).

Can't blame shmup devs for wanting to widen their audience, and I think separate story modes like that are a great way of doing it. It turns the game into a sort of sandbox, or like you're playing it with a trainer, where they can run through the stages with overpowered gear if they want.

Yeah, I agree, void gores unlocks are well done because you've unlocked them all after half an hour or something and then everyone's on equal footing.

It feels like it's there as a way to stop people going "this is too hard, not for me", you dangle a couple of carrots and they think "reet, just a few more turns, I'll get that unlock and it might make things a bit easier"

You keep them playing for a bit longer and they're actually getting better off their own backs, from perseverance, rather than that slightly increased fire-rate they unlocked or whatever, and it's like getting achievements, like the game saying "yes, you died, but don't see that as a punishment. You're doing it right, keep going!", some people need that encouragement, don't they? Unlike us weirdo shmup fiends, queuing up for our lashings.

You should try the black label in espgaluda 2, it's great for easing you in!

40 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

I'm never sure what to think of stuff like that either. On the one hand I don't think developers should be bound to rigid structures and mechanics but on the other grinding just feels wrong in shooters. It reminds me of when that Sky Force game was on PS+ and a non-shmup-playing mate was saying that he thought it was good and being a total arsehole I was pretty much like "Let me explain why you're wrong to be enjoying this."

I always feel a bit conflicted about meta-progression in roguelikes/roguelites too, Obviously it's possible to balance it well but even then I don't really like that feeling of 'have I really improved at this or did I just get to the end because I've unlocked loads of good stuff now so it's manageable if RNG is in my favour?'

Yeah I agree. It also means that scoring in the game really becomes a secondary thing because the only people playing on a level playing field are the maxed out people and those just starting. Perhaps I just need to be a bit more open. I’ll give it another go later and see how I feel.

1 minute ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Are you playing story mode in natsuki? It's arcade mode that you want to be playing.

Story mode lets you upgrade and choose different weapons and stuff.

Story mode is for the shit munchers, same as overpowered permanent progression grinding in roguelites, although it does double as a good practise mode where you can get used to some stages before tackling them in arcade mode (stage 7: revolt, I'm looking at you).

Can't blame shmup devs for wanting to widen their audience, and I think separate story modes like that are a great way of doing it. It turns the game into a sort of sandbox, or like you're playing it with a trainer, where they can run through the stages with overpowered gear if they want.

Yeah, I agree, void gores unlocks are well done because you've unlocked them all after half an hour or something and then everyone's on equal footing.

It feels like it's there as a way to stop people going "this is too hard, not for me", you dangle a couple of carrots and they think "reet, just a few more turns, I'll get that unlock and it might make things a bit easier"

You keep them playing for a bit longer and they're actually getting better off their own backs, from perseverance, rather than that slightly increased fire-rate they unlocked or whatever, and it's like getting achievements, like the game saying "yes, you died, but don't see that as a punishment. You're doing it right, keep going!", some people need that encouragement, don't they? Unlike us weirdo shmup fiends, queuing up for our lashings.

You should try the black label in espgaluda 2, it's great for easing you in!

Ah yeah I just jumped onto story mode, didn’t even notice arcade mode. Will take a look in a bit.

Ha, yeah I bought then refunded Natsuki a couple of weeks back (since I'm stuck with my laptop at the moment and it couldn't quite run it) and I obviously missed that there was an arcade mode too. Or is it Ginga Force that doesn't have one? Maybe I just assumed Natsuki was the same. Story mode is obviously cool if there's an actual set challenge in there alongside it.

Void Gore sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out.

There's definitely room for a good roguelite shmup somewhere, it just seems to be proving harder to do than most other genres. Or the potential sales aren't seen to be enough to really give it a good go, perhaps.

Void Gore's unlocks were ok as a means of opening up the game, but a total failure when linked to the $$$ scheme. You'll be picking up money drops forever, even though they are practically useless. Still a very fun game, though did they ever patch the disappearing enemies on PS4?

I think they patched it. I haven't played it since.

Woohoo! S+ rank.

yeCXiY8.png

I had no idea you could cheese it by just picking your favourite weapon and sticking with it.
I figured there'd be some sort of proficiency bonus where you'd be getting big points for picking up a new weapon whenever it dropped.
That's a total game changer. I'm gonna rock the flamethrower from now on.

Yeah, roguelite shmups are hard to get right. Doesn't mean they can't be fun though.

I just wished they didn't fuck the controls on steredenn so hard because that's a lot of fun until you get to the later loops and can't dodge anything.

I tried the arcade mode on Natsuki, I must have done the same as Rsdio and assumed it didn't have an arcade mode because Ginga Force doesn't. 

It's ok I suppose, the problem for me is the levels are so easy then bosses are all just bullshit patterns. It reminds be a bit of Triggerheart Excelica with its generic mediocrity. Not sure I'm ever going to get into either Natsuki or Ginga Force with the volume of stuff I have to play.

I thought it was fantastic, I gotta say. Don't give up on it too soon!

I've 1cc'ed normal, bosses aren't bullshit, you'll figure them out in no time.

Ooh, this looks promising - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1665900/SHINORUBI/

9 arrange modes in total. What the what?!

6 on release and 3 more coming during early access.

"SHIELD MODE: Use a quantic shield
CANCEL MODE: Aim for the right ships
SUPER RANK MODE: You control the difficulty
PINK PIG MODE: Don't miss a pig
JOURNEY MODE: A very long journey
SHOT & LASER MODE: Use the right timing"

Returning to Gradius always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The game is simple, it has been solved but the rank is also so incredibly brutal while the game contains sections where you absolutely need power ups to get by.

I don’t know if I’ll ever 1CC it just because of the frustration, you don’t have hot runs with this game you have to know how to play it correctly which means a lot if forced trial and error.

Yeah I find Gradius 1 weird that way too. I think it's seen as relatively easy in shmup terms (judging by the Japanese STG wiki etc.) but I don't know if that's more of a theoretical 'it's easy to execute once you know exactly how to approach it which might take ages' sort of thing.

Like Dreamer demo is out! - https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/26631

Come on! Got second on the leaderboard in Techbeat Heart. Woohoo!

VFEbIbl.jpg

The top player has over double that though! :o

That one button "Good Knight" game is out in early access. Not sure, might be alright, hard to tell without playing - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1281400/Good_Knight/