Shmups

Dr Seedyman

44 minutes ago, spatular said:

^ oh is that ketsui mobile thing out over here?

No, but you can get it for about £4 quite easily. I just grabbed some credit here https://www.seagm.com

It’s surprisingly alright. It’s more Ketsui than the DS thing in any case, and that cost me a lot more than four quid!

Fucksticks!

Another day ruined by a true last boss. I wish they would all just go to the moon.

I was like "yeeeeeeeees! ... FUUUUUUUUUUUCK!".

This time it's "Leiria -stargazer-"

https://streamable.com/zhnz6p

I've looked into it and apparently the prick turns up if you shoot both arms off some boss and pick up the extend.

That still counts as a 1cc, doesn't it? 1cc (no TLB)

Gah, it just feels like such a bronze medal :D I'll try again tomorrow.

Game is great fun, very espgaluda.

Still alive! Still love a shmup.

Rekindled faith I can still play them by loading Rolling Gunner and getting my second best 1cc despite being criminally fatigued at night.

I’ve just picked up Espgaluda 2, had to be done. Really want to learn this and Mushi!

@ImmaculateClump have you Cave’d and got a shmup machine (switch) yet? 😁

Aaaay, nice to see you still standing, haze :D I was thinking about you the other day, wondering wha gwan.

Haha. I've had a switch since launch, but didn't really get on with it, to be honest.

I always just buy nintendo consoles for nintendo games, but I really bounced off this gen of nintendo games so it's been gathering dust for the longest time.

If there's ever an exclusive shmup that I just neeeeeed to play, it'll be getting a cuddle and going pride of place on top of the ps4 on my desk, but it hasn't happened yet.

Looks like they're knocking it out of the park with these switch ports, they've kept the lag right down and I've heard no complaints about performance issues!

I've got espgaluda 2 on my japanese 360, but I just play it in xenia because it's less hassle.

Try playing the black label, haze, that's nicely chill. A good way in. The bullets politely slow down and rub against you like friendly cats :D

I'm gonna have to fire it up soon. Too many games, not enough time to play!

I hope you're going to sleep with a smile on your face and not waking up too tired!

I don't know if any of you lot used the shmup reddit, or are aware of the current drama, but the short story is

• 3 mods
  • mods all same person, person dunt even play shumps!
  • person nipped in heed, post a lot in incel subreddits
  • delete a lot of decent content on the subreddit for shits and giggles
  • ban gryoovy shmup homie morsalty for "discussing emulation"
  • his literal words were "I wouldn't bother with sega saturn emulation, it's not great". guy always plays on original hardware!
  • Everyone on the discords sticks up for salty and boycotts the subreddit
  • mod goes on big thread-nuke spree and locks the subreddit - https://www.reveddit.com/v/shmups/?localSort=num_comments

Yadda, yadda, here are the new groovy places.

https://old.reddit.com/r/shmupSTG/

https://old.reddit.com/r/shmupchumps/

Picked up an Xbox Series S so I've been revisiting some stuff I haven't had access to for nearly a decade. I bought Omega Five at the time and didn't really persevere with it back then but man, what an excellent game once you figure the mechanics out. I remember finding it super hard but it's actually pretty straightforward once you know what you're doing, I should've had a 1cc after a couple of hours with Ruby (who is, of course, dressed in flimsy lingerie which would be enough of an eye roll without the game starting in a snow level) but fucked it taking a stupid hit with the last boss seconds from death. I did get one after unlocking Sensei but I don't think that counts since he's gloriously, hilariously broken.

It's a real shame this game was a bit of an evolutionary dead end since it's a perfect fit for modern controllers. And it seems like it's fully extinct now too since it's been delisted from the marketplace at some point.

I'd be up for going back to Guwange too if Xbox d-pads weren't still pretty bad. I never understood how to approach that game at all but it does intrigue me.

Yeah, it's basically a traditional hori but with twin sticks - the directional movement is analogue but the speed isn't. Kind of feels like a more advanced version of Forgotten Worlds or Burai Fighter or something.

I've got vague memories of the 360 port of Guwange having issues with the slowdown etc. Can anyone confirm? That'd be a fair enough excuse for emulating it instead rather than being tempted to get a Brook converter or something.

I might have to go back to Omega Five. I remember picking it up at launch and then have no memory of it. 

I got Espgaluda 2 a couple of days back and jumped straight into Black Label Novice. That was a lovely time, I do like a bullet cancel so a mode that gives you extra bullets to cancel was good fun. Also the thing that pushes away bullets if you've the meter for it, good idea! Had a small chuckle at the first thing in the credits being "Xbox 360 port".

Ran through Omake mode after that and spent the entire time trying to work out what it meant by the bullets turning red when nearby, while also getting annoyed/confused by the gold counter resetting when I finally got it to 1,000. Somehow got through it, autobomb was generous!

Did a couple more novice black label runs last night, after some research. Not sure what the benefit of the holding slowmo mode (can't remember what it's called right now) is so ended up ignoring that for the second run and scored much higher. I might brave a non-novice run later

Spoiler

and then cry at the actual difficulty.

On 20/09/2021 at 08:11, ImmaculateClump said:

I don't know if any of you lot used the shmup reddit, or are aware of the current drama, but the short story is

• 3 mods
  • mods all same person, person dunt even play shumps!
  • person nipped in heed, post a lot in incel subreddits
  • delete a lot of decent content on the subreddit for shits and giggles
  • ban gryoovy shmup homie morsalty for "discussing emulation"
  • his literal words were "I wouldn't bother with sega saturn emulation, it's not great". guy always plays on original hardware!
  • Everyone on the discords sticks up for salty and boycotts the subreddit
  • mod goes on big thread-nuke spree and locks the subreddit - https://www.reveddit.com/v/shmups/?localSort=num_comments

Yadda, yadda, here are the new groovy places.

https://old.reddit.com/r/shmupSTG/

https://old.reddit.com/r/shmupchumps/

this is all hilarious 😆 

On 19/09/2021 at 12:37, ImmaculateClump said:

Aaaay, nice to see you still standing, haze :D I was thinking about you the other day, wondering wha gwan.

Haha. I've had a switch since launch, but didn't really get on with it, to be honest.

I always just buy nintendo consoles for nintendo games, but I really bounced off this gen of nintendo games so it's been gathering dust for the longest time.

If there's ever an exclusive shmup that I just neeeeeed to play, it'll be getting a cuddle and going pride of place on top of the ps4 on my desk, but it hasn't happened yet.

Looks like they're knocking it out of the park with these switch ports, they've kept the lag right down and I've heard no complaints about performance issues!

I've got espgaluda 2 on my japanese 360, but I just play it in xenia because it's less hassle.

Try playing the black label, haze, that's nicely chill. A good way in. The bullets politely slow down and rub against you like friendly cats :D

I'm gonna have to fire it up soon. Too many games, not enough time to play!

I hope you're going to sleep with a smile on your face and not waking up too tired!

cheers man! I’ll feed back when I get to Espgaluda 2 but I’m looking forward to it. Thanks for the black label tip

smiling… one day that’ll return I’m sure 😁 sadly I have to do some ironing now so the frown shall reign for a bit 

On 20/09/2021 at 17:49, Rsdio said:

I've got vague memories of the 360 port of Guwange having issues with the slowdown etc. Can anyone confirm? That'd be a fair enough excuse for emulating it instead rather than being tempted to get a Brook converter or something.

i don't know about the slowdown but the 360 version has a cool arrange mode where you can control the familiar/option/whatever it's called with the right stick. it's very cheap too.

Oh, I own it already - bounced off it back when it came out having no idea what was going on!

Good call on the arrange mode, that'll be worth having a bash at in itself since it's not available elsewhere.

^ oh cool, yeah it's pretty confusing as you're usually controlling the option thing instead of your ship. i really like it but not played it in years so can't really remember too much about how it works, iirc you chain gold?, and for a good score are supposed to chain the whole game or something, i was no good at the scoring.

3 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

Purchased Crisis Wing on switch and have immediately ran into a major issue. It does not support D-Pad use on any of my controllers. That’s a huge problem.

what controllers have you got? some modern ones let you switch what the d-pad does (so it can pretend to be the left/right analogue sticks), like the retro-bit saturn pads, and maybe the m30 pads do the same, so i don't know if that would help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsu0tgs9zhotgvv/RB_SEGA Saturn_USB_ EU_MANUAL_051019.pdf?dl=0

I was using the pokken tournament controller and then swapped to the switch pro controller.

I know certain sticks like the hori ones let you set the stick to the analogue controls but even then the game should have d-pad support. D-pad works in menus so it’s obviously a bug.

The dev is talking about the switch port on the shmups forum.

I got response from eastasiasoft that they've managed to fix the Switch d-pad bug and are investigating the slower-than-expected movement in the Switch port.
So I'll expect them to deploy a patch quite soon.

Wow, surely there was one person who had played the game on pc and owned a switch and could have given it the once over!

They could have sent it to me and I'd have picked all of that up from my first go.

Doesn't it still cost a pretty penny to have patches certified from the likes of nintendo and sony? You can't just let the players playtest your game on console.

Looks like it's gonna get fixed, at least.

I got top of the leaderboard in Techbeat Heart! :o

The dev said if I'd managed to beat the boss at the end, with that multiplier, it would have been worth 445,000 points. Sickener! I dived left when I should have dived right :D

mPjBnRr.png

My eyes lit up when I saw Fire & Reign. Yay, I get to play as a dragon again, but it looks like our princess might be in another castle judging by the trailer. It's an rpg, complete with bullet sponge enemies

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1688220/Fire__Reign/

It looks pretty, but looks like it might not be too much fun to play.

There's a demo on itch here, will try when I get a chance - https://siphonshock.itch.io/fire-reign

Well that's the 360 mode of Guwange 1cc'd - almost comical difference between that and my previous 'what is going on' attempts at playing the arcade mode, I was a fraction of the last boss' health bar from getting it on the third attempt. It's weirdly relaxing just cancelling the entire screen with the shikigami, almost like colouring in maybe. Mindful shooting. I do kind of get how the game works now too so I'll be returning to the arcade mode of it through Retroarch at some point in the future for sure. Really love how crazy they went with the whole thing, the setting and mechanics would've been enough to mark it out as unique but they also chucked in the lesser spotted environmental hori-style elements for good measure.

Hoovered up 1ccs with the other three characters in Omega Five yesterday too so I think that's me about done with decent backwards compatible traditional shooters. On to revisiting Panzer Dragoon Orta and Hard Corps: Uprising now I guess, been looking forward to those.