Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Gleylancer is a 90s-videogame-ass videogame and I think I love it. Killer soundtrack, great weapon variety, lovely parallax scrolling. It reminds me of Thunder Force 3.

The bosses have been a bit crap so far though. Shame as Gynoug by the same guys at Masaya had some pretty inventive bosses. Have only got to stage 5 so far, so looking forward to diving deeper. 

On 17/10/2021 at 10:54, Klatrymadon said:

Edit: sorry, somehow didn't see this had been posted!

The more good games get mentioned the better! I beat my score the other day!

I think you could really rinse the later stages by intentionally suiciding and instantly getting 100 cash. Will have to try that next time.

TzkmvzP.jpg

Steam page for Space Moth Lunar Edition is up. Coming Nov 18th

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1570500/Space_Moth_Lunar_Edition/

header.jpg

Phew! Got my first 1cc of Blue Wish Desire hell mode tonight.
Wow, that is not easy. There were some pricks just waltzing through it the day it came out :D

sYxDkYH.jpg

Not a great score, but it's always such a huge hurdle for me, getting that first clear out the way and proving to myself that I can actually do it!
I can try and tidy that up now and get through with less mistakes and get a better score.

Hell is just none stop. Amazing fun!

When you beat hell mode on Blue Wish Desire, you unlock "accel" mode, enemy bullets accelerate, but there's less of them to balance that out.
It's intense, but not as bad as it sounds. I managed to 1cc it today by the skin of my teeth!

M0zFLxz.jpg

You get a pretty pink medal for clearing it, looksta

CO210c1.jpg

If PC is an option, Techbeat Heart is a much better alternative and it's cheaper. Halloween update went live the other day but I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1520330/TechBeat_Heart/

Void Gore is a lot of fun but runs can last forever once you get going.

You'll definitely get a couple of quids worth of fun out of it though.

6 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Steam page is up for Blue Wish Desire! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1794300/BLUE_WISH_DESIRE/

Coming November 17th.

header.jpg

Serious contender for game of the year. Trust me. Do NOT sleep on this one.

Dude, you've pretty much become my top source for Steam shmup updates. It's really appreciated, thank you. To where do I send the cheque?

Spent the day at Heart of Gaming in Croydon again. First time I've been there in a couple of years. It's a very healthy arcade with a great variety of genres represented and lots of unusual dedicated cabs, including multiplayer racing cabs all linked up like it's 1993. Sadly, though, I was the only person who touched the four shmups (DOJ BL, Ketsui, Gokujou Parodius and Ikaruga) all day. I actually took the top spot in DOJ BL with a piddly st3 score, and I'm not sure if this means the arcade doesn't save their scores or if I've just kicked London's ass.

Cotton Panorama and Cotton 100% are available from strictly limited games. Bit annoying they’re two separate releases though. Snes and mega drive options are also available, although I’m still waiting for undercover cops and super turrican 2.

It says "I'm thinking about various things". Hopefully he sticks with it!

He's put some more of his old games on his itch page - https://xxgameroom.itch.io/

On 23/10/2021 at 20:21, immortaljellyfish said:

Dude, you've pretty much become my top source for Steam shmup updates. It's really appreciated, thank you. To where do I send the cheque?

Haha, thanks man :D

Woohoo!

UdXf4ng.jpg

pvu9dKY.jpg

Phew! Gleylancer's pretty tricky!

Knock your speed up to 4 during the final phase of the last boss, counter-intuitive, but that extra speed comes in great for misdirecting his balls!

https://streamable.com/ypt4ty

Couple of tips I found on the shmups forum

Keep the stage 5 boss alive and eventually two extra lives turn up!

kMW3pxd.jpg

Also, during stage 6, after the first lot of these green laser gate things

b92wHSz.jpg

Shoot this bit here after the last one and there's a hidden extend in there too.

yJcO95v.jpg

bit memo heavy and a bit baggy. The bits where you have to be extra careful and not touch the walls, I can feel those bits taking years off my life, but it's a good game. I liked it, more than happy to see the fucking back of it though, I have to admit.

I played it the other day and lost about 7 lives on that final boss :D Came very close to doing a marlew and just tipping everything out the window!

LRG want to take more of your money...

image.thumb.png.cedf8694cb84e5cebed7083a3665972c.png

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/featured-shantae/products/mushihimesama-switch-mini-arcade

image.thumb.png.00a7b947c1c7569b939df8524e4d2e36.png

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/switch-limited-run-125-mushihimesama-collectors-edition

FFS.

Well, they've not yet dispatched the Dangun Feveron I bought. These limited edition runs really are somewhat annoying, you know? It's my own weakness. Why the hell do I want these games physical? I already bought the damn download and own the 360 port FFS. I guess I will continue the promise to myself and pass.

I must have 3 or 4 orders outstanding with LRG 🤦‍♂️

I’ll probably buy this as well, but not that shitty peripheral.

In other news I got the Platinum trophy on Vasara Collection. Timeless mode is great fun, but the two arcade games really are a bit shit.

On 06/10/2021 at 20:07, Jazz Glands said:

Yes it's certainly cheaper than the original Mega Drive release.

It's an emulated release which features the original Mega Drive Japanese version and a new modern control version with English text. Never really played it before but it's a solid old school shmup, I got a chance to review it the other day. It's a much cheaper option than original cartridges these days. Best played with an arcade stick or fighter pad as I know the PS4 controller isn't the most responsive. Saw a couple of the hardcore fans complaint about some lag input, but I had no issues clearing the game. Mind you they also complained the scoring mode is broken as the sixth boss (one shown in the thumbnail) you can sit in certain spots and farm its drones without dying or harming the boss. Really enjoyed it and it's one I wish I had got sooner.

I recommend the search mover unit for starters and finishing hard mode unlocks manic mode. New control system allows you to use right stick to control where the mover drones shoot.

People can complain about boss milking for counter stop but it’s not like Musha didn’t suffer from the exact same problem.

There’s always the Thunder Force games for score at least.

i can't resist a physical cave release so i'll get mushi but just the standard one, that has the best art on it anyway.

sort of want tiger heli too but not sure i'll like it, the puzzle game that comes with it might be alright though?, £50 for the physical is a bit too much for me to take a gamble on, half that digital though so maybe:

https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/product/JP0092-CUSA19280_00-TOACOLLECTION001/

uk version of g-darius HD just arrived too.

23 hours ago, phillv85 said:

In other news I got the Platinum trophy on Vasara Collection. Timeless mode is great fun, but the two arcade games really are a bit shit.

I played this on PS4 for the first time last night and it feels pretty swimmy. Is lag a known issue? What are you playing it on?

11 minutes ago, Camel said:

I played this on PS4 for the first time last night and it feels pretty swimmy. Is lag a known issue? What are you playing it on?

Also on PS4, the lag definitely feels like an issue on the arcade games. It doesn't help that they're both double hard as well. It sounds like although PS4 has lag, the Switch version is even worse.