IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

11 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

It depends who you ask. I think it's fantastic.

It was at 14 in the latest shmups forum poll if you put any stock in that.

EvPtXTyUUAMdP4R.png

Arcade is nuts and because of the speed of the bullets it's a game you'd have to memorise pretty heavily. Lots of practise.

Try the fever arrange mode. It's brilliant, and much more manageable!

Icarus on the shmups forum has got the skinny on how to take off the stabilisers and start properly scoring
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1253013#p1253013

Yes thankfully the extra modes in the Dangun M2 edition save it. Level 4 still has the cardinal sin of vertical shooters - enemies that appear from below and to the side of you 

Reminds me to try and pick up Battle Garegga if its that high on the list. The list is also a bit depressing, seeing Gradius V and Mars Matrix left for dead on their decaying systems, amazing also Armed Police Batrider still remains stuck in the arcade emulation realms (meaning they get no money from it)

Also : Deathsmiles II this month isn't it? Is that only on PS4 Japanese or has that been picked up for other territories ?

14 hours ago, englishbob said:

How highly regarded is Dangun in the Cave timeline?

Arcade mode is ridiculous. 

I’m in the opposite camp to @ImmaculateClump, the arcade game in my opinion is pretty low tier in the CAVE standings. I am looking forward to trying out M2’s extra modes though, M2 have been brilliant with their shmups.

3 hours ago, englishbob said:

Also : Deathsmiles II this month isn't it? Is that only on PS4 Japanese or has that been picked up for other territories ?

one of those limited games places has it, i'd guess those won't be coming soon though. don't know if it's going to be released digitally over here.

https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/deathsmiles-1-2

apparently coming out digitally over here too:

"Due to the delays in the holiday season progress, the release date of Deathsmiles I・II (digital version) for Nintendo Switch in North America and Europe will be changed as follows.

change from:

December 16, 2021

change to:

December 30, 2021"

https://city-connection.co.jp/deathsmiles/en/topics/#20211206

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67357&start=60

i'd agree dangun is lower down if i was ranking cave games, but compared to other stuff it's still a very good game imo. edit - it's probably the best cave game (along with mushi original modes) for people who like more fast paced shmups like psikyo games or something.

Mecha Ritz 2.0 is gonna be a free update on pc, coming next year. I wanna throw more money at hey, but hopefully he'll make megabank off the switch release.

Don't sleep on this, switch lads, if you've not tried it yet. It's godly.
The best implementation of rank in any shmup, for my money. Lots of subtle gradation. It does a great job of constantly fine tuning itself and meeting your current skill level.

On 10/12/2021 at 08:07, geldra said:

No Eschatos chat?  Noticed it was available on the Japanese eShop. 

Good spot!

One of the best shmups ever made. Definitely buy that - https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/software/70010000037346.html

Half price until the 13th on pc - https://store.steampowered.com/app/378770/ESCHATOS/

So I've bought Crimzon Clover World Explosion but I'm having trouble with the graphics options. I think I've selected 'full screen' in the menu but it won't complete the process of changing to that from a window - it sort of hangs on a black screen with a blank white outlined window still visible. The sound is still working fine, with the music playing away. The trouble is that when I reboot that game it automatically tries to go to full screen, which still hangs. A reinstall has the same problem. Can anyone help?

7 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

So I've bought Crimzon Clover World Explosion but I'm having trouble with the graphics options. I think I've selected 'full screen' in the menu but it won't complete the process of changing to that from a window - it sort of hangs on a black screen with a blank white outlined window still visible. The sound is still working fine, with the music playing away. The trouble is that when I reboot that game it automatically tries to go to full screen, which still hangs. A reinstall has the same problem. Can anyone help?

I've just been using fullscreen windowed.

Have you tried pressing alt+return? That might change it back to windowed.

If that doesn't work you could try deleting the config.dat file at

"Steam\steamapps\common\Crimzon Clover World EXplosion\data"

The games is windowed by default and that'll auto generate the next time you start the game up.

You might want to turn off steam cloud until you get it sorted, since you said even after a reinstall it was the same, it must be getting your settings from the cloud.

Right click on the game in steam and choose "properties" and in "general" under steam cloud, untick the checkbox marked "keep games saves in the steam cloud for crimzon clover". You can turn this back on again once you get it sorted.

Graze counter GM edition steam page is up - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1486440/Graze_Counter_GM/

Was that a present to you from yourself or from someone else?

I used to get myself something for christmas. I figured I'm treating everycunt else so if there was owt left over I'd get something I really wanted to sweeten the inevitable socks and smellies washout.

Look at the absolute plight of this!

https://streamable.com/x1dmjw

Seconds away from the end of the time attack mode and I die in the split second between getting a hyper and pushing the button. Lost the no death bonus but beat my score and got an s+ rank so I'm happy.

XL6jIX0.jpg

I think I might have been better off just dropping a bomb and speed killing that final boss and getting a better time bonus, dunno.

Mein gott! Even the caravan stage is godly!

Deathsmiles 1&2 quietly dropped on the PSN store at £32.99, as I was expecting this to be delayed until the end of the month like the localised Nintendo Switch version.

Now I’m waiting for first impressions of the conversion to see if it’s got the input delay as City Connections previous effort on Cotton/ Guardian Force collection had it.

5 minutes ago, viewtiful jim said:

Deathsmiles 1&2 quietly dropped on the PSN store at £32.99, as I was expecting this to be delayed until the end of the month like the localised Nintendo Switch version.

Now I’m waiting for first impressions of the conversion to see if it’s got the input delay as City Connections previous effort on Cotton/ Guardian Force collection had it.

Crikey - on PS4 UK Store - this is far too easy an option for a Cave shooter to be available! (Lol and a further 5 playable characters DLC for £20 - no thanks)

I assume its just the 360 version(s) from a few years back?

3 hours ago, viewtiful jim said:

Oh, wow! I'm so accustomed to the UK store not even getting a sniff. In truth, I've got Deathsmiles on both 360 and PC, and have not got a tremendous amount of interest in DSII, but I feel like I need to support this release with my wallet. Anything to increase the chances of more Cave releases in the West.

Ooh! This is good fun. You get the caravan stage for free with full leaderboards in the demo like his last game.

Here's your score to beat! (831,840) - https://streamable.com/dvzwqe

Someone on resetera has been posting impressions of the deathsmiles ports - https://www.resetera.com/threads/shmups-shoot-em-ups-ot-the-full-extent-of-the-jam.1752/page-95#post-78788419

"-The DS1 side of the game has essentially arcade-perfect slowdown (they actually invited top DS1 players to playtest the port) and very low input lag.
-The DS2 side of the game has wrong coloring, wrong contrast, almost no arcade slowdown, but very low input lag.
-In both sides for some strange reason you can't zoom in so the screen fills vertically (it stops at 102% in DS1, for example)
-The DLC girls act like a different version of DS1 and you can switch between them (so you can't mix original and DLC girls for P1 and P2)
In summary: the DS1 part of the game is a fantastic port, the DS2 part is a dumpster fire (but with low input lag!)"

Mark was streaming the game before and I popped my head in, and yeah, in deathsmiles 2 it looked like they cranked the gamma right down low, you could barely make out the zombies you're supposed to lock shot in the background of the first stage.

I've already got both games on the 360 and the first one on pc, and the arcade version of the second one I can play, so I was only really gonna pick this up for a convenient way of playing the 360 mode of deathsmiles 2, and since it sounds like they put all there effort into DS1, and just threw that on as an afterthought. I think I might skip this. The DLC characters only working in the first game and costing 20 quid is a bit much as well.

Sounds OK if you don't have the games though, and hopefully any issues can be fixed.

I read mega black label runs great in this version with much better slowdown. The PC port is effed in that regard. That mode has almost zero slowdown.

Hopefully they can fix up DS2 with some patching.

58 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

I assume he's just talking about the DS2 arcade game rather than IIX mode? To me IIX mode is where it's at, absolutely love it.

Oh, if you're right and IIX is fine, I'll definitely grab it. Will wait until we've had some more impressions.

edit: Aw :(

More from EOJ on the ports here - http://cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=1808.0

First thing I did was play DSII as it was the only Cave title I'd never played before. Obviously I've not no idea about the port's faithfulness, but it felt like it played absolutely fine to me. In fact, I 1CC'd Arrange on the first go, which was a bit of a surprise! As far as I could tell, the leaderboards weren't working tho (PS4).