Shmups

Dr Seedyman

It's godly, innit? :D

Loving the new space moth! The extra scoring mechanic that they've added, the bullet cancelling skull hyper thingy makes the game easier, but it's no worse for it, and it makes the game a lot less tense which is a very welcome thing.

If you die during the final boss and lose your multiplier, you may as well bomb for score and even suicide for more bombs rather than trying to go full hunk and dodging the patterns, which in itself feels great, you're just like "fuck yooooou then, gimme the points!"

https://streamable.com/cjbqvq

There's some scores to beat.

Space Moth - 9,281,283

Hawk DX-1 - 7,962,117

There's a demo up for NeverAwake, that twin stick game from the vritra devs, coming next year - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1727180/NeverAwake/

It's canny! Just a few early levels so it's a bit tame, but it feels nice to play.

You clear the stages when you've collected enough souls, and they loop if you get to the end, so it looks like you have to kill everything and get all the souls as quick as you can, and beat your previous time.

Got the 1CC on Blue Revolver! (er Normal mode so not that impressive. Mae, Wide Shot, Laser)

Gave it a go for the first time with a pad (have been playing on keyboard up to now) and it made a lot of difference to the early game. Started to fall apart towards the end but had stockpiled enough resources to be able to cheese the last phase of the final boss with bombs and special.

53.3 million, which is:

- Definitely very ropey

- 300k higher score than @Klatrymadon 👀

Final stage is a rollercoaster - the sections with turbocharged regular enemies is a nightmare, but the minibosses are almost tame in comparison. I need a lie down now!

8 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

A bit too similar to Rolling Gunner? What do we think? Some of it's placeholder, but it looks like this is gonna be very similar in mechanics.

Looks great 👍🏼 

the 16:9 ratio throws me a bit, but they’re clearly thinking to give the player tools to use the space :)

32 minutes ago, strawdonkey said:

Got the 1CC on Blue Revolver!

Excellent work! Blue Revolver normal is no joke.

That last pattern is proper shit your pants time, innit? :D

I always went "Val, wide, arc caster" but they changed the ship speed for wide shot in a patch and made it a bit too slow so I think I was trying to get used to the "follow" shot type the last time I played.

I made myself stop playing as I wanted to wait for the double action update, but hopefully that's still coming eventually!

You've got me wanting to fire it up again now.

Yeah the very final pattern is wonderful, it really feels like a last boss pattern. Sadly I cheesed my way through it!

Had a quick look on Danbo's twitter and found that they're still planning to release Double Action, but it is getting worked on with the idea of being the final update rather than them having to then apply further patches. It's very likely that I come back to this game after the update as I'd like to get a clear with Val.

Sadly some of the achievements are bugged - I haven't got the one for Normal clear nor Mae clear which is a shame.

Here's the video where I basically bludgeon my way through the game:

On an unrelated note, I went back to Empire of Steel, one of the games that got me more into the genre. It has extremely chunky hitboxes by modern standards, and all is forgiven with the tiny part of Blue Revolver where it's difficul to see the bullets - Empire of Steel is full of projectiles that are very difficult to see and they move really fast too. The 1CC on Easy is broadly unchallenging (which I believe is how I used to play it 25 years ago) but on Normal it feels almost impossible!

So yeah, not aged the best, still brilliant to get your biplane or blimp fired out of a giant gun into space towards the end.

Quite keen to get the Aleste Collection, but seems I'll have to import it as M2 and SEGA clearly aren't going to release it over here...

Review for Panorama Cotton & Cotton 100% is up, same emulator as the other ones from Ratalaika Games, only as this is published by ININ Games it's more expensive.

49 minutes ago, strawdonkey said:

On an unrelated note, I went back to Empire of Steel, one of the games that got me more into the genre. It has extremely chunky hitboxes by modern standards, and all is forgiven with the tiny part of Blue Revolver where it's difficul to see the bullets - Empire of Steel is full of projectiles that are very difficult to see and they move really fast too. The 1CC on Easy is broadly unchallenging (which I believe is how I used to play it 25 years ago) but on Normal it feels almost impossible!

So yeah, not aged the best, still brilliant to get your biplane or blimp fired out of a giant gun into space towards the end.

I still enjoy it, but it's not perfect, which version version were you playing as the games had two remakes with the original Mega Drive version the later GameBoy Advance version and the more recent 3DS and Steam release. I think I prefer the newer versions to the original these days. Did a playthrough on the GBA version awhile back. I do think it repeats too much in game and the stage inside the enemy base is very cramped.

7 hours ago, Riven said:

which version version were you playing

The original Megadrive one - definitely a product of its time. I hadn't realise that it'd been remade, will have a look at that as some QoL changes would remove the only significant issue I had with it.

Totally agree on the base stage - thankfully your ship can take mulitple hits, because without that you'd be stuffed; so many times where you just have to bundle your way over to a corner so you don't run into a piece of scenery that fills most of the screen. The fact that it reuses the same bosses so many times is a bit of a shame too, but I'm aware that I'm just listing flaws with it; playing it was a huge nostalgia rush and still a lot of fun despite its age and quirks.

12 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

53.3 million, which is:

- Definitely very ropey

- 300k higher score than @Klatrymadon 👀

Haha, nice one! I really ought to get back to Blue Revolver. Despite enjoying it a lot I never really invested much time into it - I don't think I've cleared the Hyper and Parallel modes at all. The scoring is really brilliant, too!

8 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

The original Megadrive one

The bullets are big and flashy in the new version, I got the clear of normal and difficult after a couple of hours. If you can do blue revolver, you should fly through it.

tKl5zHL.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/app/563260/Steel_Empire/

Blimey, that price is a bit steep. It gets 80% off (£2.27) during the steam sales, so you might want to wait for the next one.
There should be an autumn sale coming November 24 – November 30.

It's alright, but it hasn't aged all too well. It didn't draw me back to better my score once I'd beaten it.

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

LCiZQuz.jpg

WsaZ7rm.jpg

Nnnnnnnngggg. I can almost smell it!

I totally ballsed up on the spider boss. Made a stoooopid mistake and lost a life, I reckon I could have had it there! This game is brilliant fun :D

Great scores mate. I'm loving this game but it's kicking my ass - can't even pass stage 2 on my first credit at the moment.

Thanks, man!
Have you tried playing purely for survival to begin with?

You could not bother with the soul draining mechanic and use your laser mostly to take out the big enemies quickly.
Use your rapid shot on the popcorn enemies, but only on the big baddies enough to build up a hyper which you could then use as a "bomb" and when you panic and use that, hover your finger over the bomb button until you've used your rapid shot enough to build up another hyper.

Have you tried the second moth, that dx-1 character? He seems likes he's better for survival and scoring! Give him a try if you haven't already.

edit: Woohoo! :D

m07YdhK.png

7 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Thanks, man!
Have you tried playing purely for survival to begin with?

You could not bother with the soul draining mechanic and use your laser mostly to take out the big enemies quickly.
Use your rapid shot on the popcorn enemies, but only on the big baddies enough to build up a hyper which you could then use as a "bomb" and when you panic and use that, hover your finger over the bomb button until you've used your rapid shot enough to build up another hyper.

Have you tried the second moth, that dx-1 character? He seems likes he's better for survival and scoring! Give him a try if you haven't already.

edit: Woohoo! :D

m07YdhK.png

I've not really dabbled with the second moth, no. And your advice seems entirely sensible - I'm just terrible at ignoring a scoring mechanic. They're too irresistible! But yeah, I should definitely give your approach a try 🙂 

On 24/11/2021 at 21:34, immortaljellyfish said:

I'm just terrible at ignoring a scoring mechanic. They're too irresistible!

Haha, yeah, I hear ya.

One of the devs posted on the shmups forum today.

I'll drop a scoring tip as I've not seen it used in vids yet. The multiplier resets at the beginning of each stage but the size of the skull circle doesn't, so try and finish a boss with a large skull circle. This way you can get the multiplier maxed out much earlier - on stage 3 you should be getting max skulls on the first lily.

Aaaaah! I just assumed you'd be better off using any hyper you had left during the boss to get skulls, but it makes sense to get a headstart at the beginning of the stage.

I made a few daft mistakes there and blasted my score, so I reckon I can push this a lot further.

72cUIIT.png