IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Hmmm. So, this is the first I’ve ever played or even seen IIDX, so I’m very much the untrained eye. 

I played through D a couple of times via the training mode (once without the update and once with).  There’s very definitely slow down at the hands (just before the “walking dude” boss right?) but nothing that I would describe as “slowing to a crawl”.  But whether that’s arcade accurate, no idea. 

It’s kinda hard to spot the slowdown as it almost just felt like an effect triggered by my lock shot (kinda like the bullet time in Galuda (though much less pronounced if that makes sense?). 

Yeah the big gangly walking bastard! Hmm that doesn’t sound like it’s the same as the 360 game then. I checked the timings on 2 videos I’ve taken where I pop my power up at roughly the same time. Takes 30 odd seconds on the PS4 and over a minute on the 360 for my power up to drain completely. I’ll see if I can find a video cutter and take those bits out of the clips for proper comparison.

Lock shot will slow the game in places (on 360), particularly if you’re popping a bunch of the blue tracker bullets into high level crowns.

31 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

Yeah the big gangly walking bastard! Hmm that doesn’t sound like it’s the same as the 360 game then. I checked the timings on 2 videos I’ve taken where I pop my power up at roughly the same time. Takes 30 odd seconds on the PS4 and over a minute on the 360 for my power up to drain completely. I’ll see if I can find a video cutter and take those bits out of the clips for proper comparison.

Lock shot will slow the game in places (on 360), particularly if you’re popping a bunch of the blue tracker bullets into high level crowns.

ah ok so I def wasn’t dropping my power up at that point. I was just using lick shot. 

if you can do a vid of how it should look I can try and reproduce. 

(also I dunno what the flip I’m doing with the game generally so that wont help. :))

16 hours ago, geldra said:

ah ok so I def wasn’t dropping my power up at that point. I was just using lick shot. 

if you can do a vid of how it should look I can try and reproduce. 

(also I dunno what the flip I’m doing with the game generally so that wont help. :))

Here we go, not sure this would win a science award, but it's pretty noticeable how much difference there is.

PS4 is first, lasts about 40 seconds (although I do take a hit with about 75 to go), then it's 360 which goes on for well over a minute.

35 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

Here we go, not sure this would win a science award, but it's pretty noticeable how much difference there is.

PS4 is first, lasts about 40 seconds (although I do take a hit with about 75 to go), then it's 360 which goes on for well over a minute.

Like, I’ve run it through a few times and I don’t get any where near as much bullet spam as in either of your vids. 

Could be because I’m just going in via the training mode.

8 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

Hmm yea could well be that. 

If you decide to keep at it, and get to the point where you can pop it at 10k at a similar point let me know. Really interested to know how the Switch performs.

I’ll get back to you in about 5 years. 

I’m sure there’ll be some expert analysis out there in the coming weeks like. 

I hadn’t realised Zerodiv were involved. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not after their Switch Psikyo ports and the reports of input lag there. 

6 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

Haha fair enough. Yeah I'm sure there'll be some proper in depth comparisons at some point soon.

I'm just a little disappointed how badly IIX turned out 😑

I can set it to 10K at the start, and I see the blue bullets that crowd you (and slow down around you), just need to maintain that 10K up to that point in the level with the book cases.

edit: to clarify, I don’t see the blue crowdy bullets at the bookcase section I just see white spermy looking ones. 

On 21/12/2021 at 11:15, phillv85 said:

Thanks for making the effort with that! That's a really good comparison.

You can see the difference just in the speed of the numbers coming off your character.

Aw man, I really hope they take a look at this and can make it better, I think the slowdown in deathsmiles 2 is a much bigger thing than it is in other games. It transcends the usual arcade accuracy talk.

The game crawls to such a ludicrous degree at times, it's a part of it's character and one of the things that makes it so relaxing, the atmosphere of that section changes entirely.

There's something very hypnotic and "slow zombie" about the tadpoles in the 360 version and it's not the same when they're tearing straight for you.

M2 live stream.

v0377HT.jpg

7AmfYZw.jpg

2tH0D1e.jpg

HfkiR9I.jpg

Aleste Branch trailer timestamp - https://youtu.be/g6ZqU0_pVCc?t=4714

2 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I've heard of it, but never played it. Mr heli! We had that at my local swimming baths. Loved that game :D

I love how these fairly obscure games would pop up in random places. 

Def check out Wardner, charm up the wazoo. So to speak. 

Definitely agree about DS IIX, without the slowdown it's a very different game. They really could do with sorting the colours out as well, the saturation is so distracting.

I'm so happy to see more from M2, every release they do is a little touch of magic. I've hammered Feveron since I got it, they turned another fairly inaccessible arcade game into something everyone can enjoy again.

Not played deathsmiles in ages, been accidentally activating the suicide bullet mode, need to remember to pick rank 2 twice to avoid that. Cant remember stage order to get life items so looked it up

http://cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=281.0

so basically do volcano at rank 3 last (6th) and 4th choice pick either graveyard rank 3 or swamp rank 2. Or volcano and swamp the other way around but sounds like that doesnt give as much health.

Are there any articles or interviews about Cave, specifically around their art style?  

Like, to me, bestest Cave game for art style alone is Esprade. By like a billion country miles. And everything else around that era is also similarly great (DDP, Guwange, Feveron etc).  Then they kinda start to decline from there. DOJ is nice but it has a bitty style to it which I think is kind of carried over into Deathsmiles and Galuda. Obviously the nadir is Deathsmiles 2 (wtf happened there?!) then they pick up again for the later DDP games. 

Did their talent just move on or was it a hardware thing or something else entirely?

But yeah, tldr I love looking at Esprade. 

19 minutes ago, geldra said:

Are there any articles or interviews about Cave, specifically around their art style?  

Like, to me, bestest Cave game for art style alone is Esprade. By like a billion country miles. And everything else around that era is also similarly great (DDP, Guwange, Feveron etc).  Then they kinda start to decline from there. DOJ is nice but it has a bitty style to it which I think is kind of carried over into Deathsmiles and Galuda. Obviously the nadir is Deathsmiles 2 (wtf happened there?!) then they pick up again for the later DDP games. 

Did their talent just move on or was it a hardware thing or something else entirely?

But yeah, tldr I live looking at Esprade. 

http://shmuplations.com/games/
Type cave in search bar.

32 minutes ago, geldra said:

But yeah, tldr I live looking at Esprade. 

i agree esp.ra.de looks great, especially the backgrounds - i have an opinion about this rather than any actual info, i think it's partially to do with visibility, later stuff has more bland backgrounds which helps with bullet visibility.

1 hour ago, geldra said:

But yeah, tldr I love looking at Esprade. 

I think that ESP Ra.De was one of Joker Jun(art director)’s last CAVE games iirc

after he left they all went a bit fan service and less cool ‘90s manga/anime