IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

17 hours ago, spatular said:

Not played deathsmiles in ages, been accidentally activating the suicide bullet mode, need to remember to pick rank 2 twice to avoid that. Cant remember stage order to get life items so looked it up

http://cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=281.0

so basically do volcano at rank 3 last (6th) and 4th choice pick either graveyard rank 3 or swamp rank 2. Or volcano and swamp the other way around but sounds like that doesnt give as much health.

My route on Deathsmiles is (all lvl 3) Forest, Volcano, Halloween Town, Graveyard, Lake Shore then Swamp. That gives me a half life from the big ogre on the graveyard. You can also get a 2 up if you beat Jitterbug without bombing him. I found I didn't want suicide bullets on the Volcano, it's just too much!

Does Volcano lvl 3 last give you a 1up rather than half up? You get it from the big ogre on the left platform just before the thing that spits out all the rocks on both sides.

Xexex is up (PSN at least, assuming Switch might be later).

I have faint memories of playing it aaaages ago but I can’t think what I played it on (was probably emu).  

I do remember it being hailed as a classic but not really seeing what was so good about it other than it being Konami’s attempt at rtype. 

tldr: I’ll be buying it later. 

2 hours ago, phillv85 said:

Does Volcano lvl 3 last give you a 1up rather than half up? 

good info! Yeah apparently so, i did it last night but was doing so badly otherwise i didnt really pay attention to how much health it was. Its not so bad without the suicide bullets but can see why you’d do a different order if youre activating the suicide bullets.

Xexex is notable for being a really good R-Type-alike. It doesn't use its hybrid 'Force' device (incorporating some elements of the X-Multiply ship's tentacles) in especially interesting ways, IMO, but it's lots of fun regardless, and it looks and sounds incredible. Just make sure you play the Japanese ROM - the US version is missing all the fun weapons, and the healthbar that replaces your lives can be drained in an instant by contact with anything, making it a huge hindrance.

2 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Xexex is notable for being a really good R-Type-alike. It looks and sounds incredible, too. Just make sure you play the Japanese ROM - the US version is missing all the fun weapons, and the healthbar that replaces your lives can be drained in an instant by contact with anything, making it a huge hindrance.

I did/do wonder what the timeline was between Axelay and Xexex as they seem to share a very similar biomechanical aesthetic as each other.

I beat my score in Blue Wish Desire normal mode today! :D

lnJyEsI.jpg

I've realised that you build up your hyper a lot quicker with your regular shot, and during hyper, it's best to try and leave enemies alive awhile so that you can cancel more bullets when you kill them.

So you pretty much want to be using your regular shot all the time and just use focus for emergencies.

Even during bosses, you want to use your regular shot to build your hyper up really quickly and try to spend as much time in hyper as possible.

A demo has been added to the Grand Cross ReNovation steam page - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1808900/GRAND_CROSS_ReNOVATION/

On 20/12/2021 at 19:59, geldra said:

On which platform? 

Starter for ten:

Esprade (PS4/Switch)

Dangun Feveron (PS4/XB1)

Ketsui (PS4)

Espgaluda 2 (Switch)

Mushihimesame (Switch)

Dodonpachi Resurrection (Switch)

Deathsmiles 1+2 (PS4/Switch/XB1)

Which is the best one on Xbox that I can buy today?

8 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Which is the best one on Xbox that I can buy today?

Download? 

I think maybe Deathsmiles or the Capcom Collection (Progear) might be the only ones available in Europe. 

Not sure about the rest, you may have to get Dangun from the US Store (or equivalent).

Theres other M2 ports of Raizing stuff out there too. Garegga for instance is on the Xbox I believe. 

1 minute ago, geldra said:

Download? 

I think maybe Deathsmiles or the Capcom Collection (Progear) might be the only ones available in Europe. 

Not sure about the rest, you may have to get Dangun from the US Store (or equivalent).

Theres other M2 ports of Raizing stuff out there too. Garegga for instance is on the Xbox I believe. 

Thanks. I remember liking dangun a lot.

8 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I beat my score in Blue Wish Desire normal mode today! :D

lnJyEsI.jpg

I've realised that you build up your hyper a lot quicker with your regular shot, and during hyper, it's best to try and leave enemies alive awhile so that you can cancel more bullets when you kill them.

So you pretty much want to be using your regular shot all the time and just use focus for emergencies.

Even during bosses, you want to use your regular shot to build your hyper up really quickly and try to spend as much time in hyper as possible.

A demo has been added to the Grand Cross ReNovation steam page - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1808900/GRAND_CROSS_ReNOVATION/

Top work, dude!

Here's what's in the Cotton Rock n Roll collector's editions.

One came with a Cotton tea cup, a little doll of her in her underwear, and a "tapestry".269616596_10226187765616407_2722325442083086855_n.thumb.jpg.d8c607708ce2b7626a11649c3162f30c.jpg

Here's a look inside the box.  That tiny figure and tea cup weren't in the box.

269600530_10226187765256398_8983766618857751052_n.thumb.jpg.fc5b347d641cbfa78e2cdf41c0a03213.jpg

The other one came with no underwear figure, tapestry or tea cup, but did have an extra cd and some stickers.  Here's that, and look at the back of the large doll box.

269794731_10226187764736385_7020472525355141361_n.thumb.jpg.0755aad25ccaf9b0be82de02ffd02cd9.jpg

I thought I'd ordered one PS4 version.  Oh well.

For the traditional horizontal shooter fans any of you remember strato fighter?

I played it a bit back in the day at the arcades but never got the chance to experience it since, struck me as a really nice game not as iconic as rtype but not deserving to sink into obscurity as it seems to have done.

46 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

For the traditional horizontal shooter fans any of you remember strato fighter?

I played it a bit back in the day at the arcades but never got the chance to experience it since, struck me as a really nice game not as iconic as rtype but not deserving to sink into obscurity as it seems to have done.

I’d not heard of it but just checked a YT play through. Looks sweet. 

Has a good sci-fi font going on. Essential. 

edit: Decided I need to make progress in Progear (Progearess?) and make at least to the Kraken (L4 boss). So, I’ve given in and created some save states in Capcom Collection just to get more familiar with the levels (3 and 4, as 3 can still throw me, esp the boss). I feel a bit dirty, but meh.  

On 20/11/2021 at 12:50, ImmaculateClump said:

A bit too similar to Rolling Gunner? What do we think? Some of it's placeholder, but it looks like this is gonna be very similar in mechanics.

A bit too similar! Wow. Loads of the music and designs are straight from it, why would you show this? Madness

Been lurking for ages but still dipping into shmups, some thoughts on what I've been playing lately:

Mushi - something just doesn't click with this, not sure why. Graphically stunning and the music is incredible.

ESP Ra.De - I think this is my favourite Cave game. I click with it more than any other

Freedom Finger - it was cheap, its mildly amusing, that's about it

ESP Galuda 2 - Love this! No idea what the hell I'm doing but it's great fun

Nice to see you're still keeping your hand in, haze :D

Have a lovely christmas!

9 hours ago, immortaljellyfish said:

Ffffffffff.... just got SO close to the Crimzon Clover World Explosion Arrange 1CC! Might be sick.

Aw, man! It's infuriating when that happens.
What's worse is when you get a double K.O. on the final boss.
You'd think that could never happen, but it's happened to me twice in the same week.

zenohell

ZizPSXS.jpg

wolflame

YBg0ypr.jpg

Honestly thought I'd been cursed or something. Wolflame, it wasn't such a big deal, I hadn't had the game long, but I'd been trying to get the zenohell 1cc for a while there and I was like "YES! NO! .... NOoooooaaaaw, why?"

Definitely the hardest in the trilogy, and my favourite.

Lots of games in the steam winter sale if you're looking for something new/old to play - https://store.steampowered.com/

Not huge news, but they added the Blue Wish Desire demo to the steam page - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1794300/BLUE_WISH_DESIRE/

2 hours ago, Death Adder said:

a little doll of her in her underwear

Haha. I think that's the fairy lass "silk", but I can understand your confusion, I wouldn't put it past them either!

10 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Haha. I think that's the fairy lass "silk", but I can understand your confusion, I wouldn't put it past them either!

You're right.

I've had a play on this now.  It's all in English.

It feels responsive enough to me, but no doubt more knowledgeable critics will specify exactly how many frames of input lag there are.

It also looks lovely.

Same to you dude! I read a fair bit here (you've made me want Blue Wish Desire :D) but it's an arse logging in on my phone and I get very little "me time" these days so don't get much chance to post.

Are we concerned about elementaler elexfalter being a verizontal? The gun looks suited to going all over the place so it might not be a bad thing. I love Rolling Gunner so much (though I don't like the DLC really) I will get it to support regardless

3 hours ago, hazeredmist said:

it's an arse logging in on my phone and I get very little "me time" these days so don't get much chance to post.

Yeah, I understand. I see my sister typing out long instagram essays on her phone and I'm just like "... how?".

I know what you mean, the ship speed doesn't look fast enough, but like you say, the aimable gun should make up for that.

I hope they don't do something too similar, because as good as rolling gunner is, we've already got it.
The DLC didn't blow me away either. I think I played it like 5 times in total.

On 24/12/2021 at 09:50, geldra said:

Decided I need to make progress in Progear (Progearess?) and make at least to the Kraken (L4 boss). So, I’ve given in and created some save states in Capcom Collection just to get more familiar with the levels (3 and 4, as 3 can still throw me, esp the boss). I feel a bit dirty, but meh.  

I made it to the Kraken!!!

I died quickly and stupidly at the Kraken.

I didn’t use my usual ship/gunner combo getting to the Kraken. So kinda dissatisfying. 

I didn’t beat my highest score getting to the Kraken (which I thought I would by default).

But!  I got to the Kraken. Progress.