IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

^ nice work! that boss is really hard imo, i've never got past it anyway.

despite getting loads of (sort of)new shmups recently i've been playing deathsmiles which i've already played loads in the past. really enjoying it though, the mbl 1.1 mode where you control the option with a stick is nuts, screen is constantly full of stuff to collect. got some 1cc's on different modes, including with one of the dlc characters, the green one with the hammer - seems pretty strong and plays pretty similar to the others. tried some of the other dlc characters too, the one that fires white shots - the focus shot fires a really wide shot but not forward, and locks the familiar in position on the screen, so that one plays pretty interestingly. the one with the penguin is too slow. one fires purple bullets which is pretty stupid as it really hurts visibility. the one with the fire seems pretty good. don't think any of them are as powerful as rosa in the main game, or as the one with 2 familiars in mbl.

Couple of random thoughts:

Star Hunter DX is definitely really good! I was a bit put off by the sheer amount of bullets on screen even on the easiest mode, and then learned how well all the mechanics meshed and now I'm really enjoying it.

Monolith is technically not a shmup but has a lot of shmup in its DNA - think Enter The Gungeon only the bullet patterns were designed rather than just sort of hand movements. It also lacks the frustrating bit of Gungeon where you play eight runs in a row and every weapon you find is awful. But mainly it's the bullet patterns that make it - there's way more bullets on screen but it just feels like you are always responsible for the mistakes rather than unfortuante clumping. There's always a lane, you just have to find it.

Can't wait to watch that DDP score attack, I've loved seeing things like this become speedrun- and FGC-adjacent and hope to see more of it in the future.

Oh, wow! Monolith. That's a pretty deep cut :D

It's fab, innit?

Like you say, the dodgeroll/dash button is there, but instead of it being a "get out of jail free" card for the devs, saving them having to playtest their bullet patterns, or making sure that they don't overlap unfairly with those from other enemies, it actually feels like a legit gameplay mechanic!

Still the best roguelite shmup going despite it not technically being a shmup in the traditional sense.

I read you talking about star hunter stage 5 in the other thread. Once you realise how consistent the path of those bouncing bullets is, you'll be laughing.
Pretend you're on a snooker table, get close and ride the horizontal lines of bullets bouncing left and right and graze them, and just tap around to dodge the diagonal bouncing bullets and make sure you don't get caught. Build up your hyper and set it off as much as possible.

I love the underwater stage where you see the jellyfish and there are those big circular patterns with the mines or whatever they are.

That's huge news. Get on it if you can! (I bought it on the 360 years ago - it's basically a perfect port and, Saturn-worshipping aside, probably the best way to play the game. Nice 'Ikaruga' mode with a different approach to scoring, too.)

46 minutes ago, geldra said:

Crisis Wing (Toaplan/Tatsujin V-V inspired) has a couple of quid knocked off on the Switch right now. Meant to be decent.  

Can attest that it has been very good since they patched it and fixed the broken ship speed.

Any opinions on Razion Ex?

Just seen some YouTube footage and looks very good for those fans of horizontal shooters without so much of the bullet hell element to the gameplay

I see that Super Hydorah is currently on sale on the (pretty slim shoot em up options wise) Xbox. Reviews seem largely positive but there’s something I can’t quite put my finger on that’s holding me back. Should I be grabbing it? 

3 minutes ago, womble9 said:

I see that Super Hydorah is currently on sale on the (pretty slim shoot em up options wise) Xbox. Reviews seem largely positive but there’s something I can’t quite put my finger on that’s holding me back. Should I be grabbing it? 

Yep, get it. It’s great. 

1 hour ago, geldra said:

Yep, get it. It’s great. 

36 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

It's very much a Gradius-like but without much of the perfectionist frustration which comes with those games thanks to the save system.

Thanks guys, I've taken your kind recommendations and gone for it!!

Pretty sure it's the graphical style that I'm not too keen on / that was putting me off though so long as the mechanics are solid (and I simply adore the Gradius games with me having loads of them from MSX through to V) then I'm sure I'll be able to look beyond it :)

It certainly lacks the overall style of the Gradius games but that’s forgivable (imo) as I’m sure it was made by a pretty small team. You can tell they love their inspiration.  

Also, there’s not many shooters that come close to the awesome style of Gradius though tbf. 

Still totally smitten with Monolith. It has a last boss (Which I can reach every time and beat about 30% of the time) and a true last boss (which I've yet to beat), but the difficulty is pitched pretty well - if anything the only real issue is that the last boss is such a step up in difficulty from the rest of the game that you can go into it fully-stocked and still only make it out by a thread.

The stage before the true last boss is also almost entirely devoid of shops/pickups/etc so if you get through the last boss with so few resources it's a real struggle. But, have been making it to the regular last boss basically 100% of the time so I can almost smell the true clear at this point, just about putting it all together (which I think I've said about basically every Shmup in the last six months and am in danger of becoming mistaken for a meme at this point 👀 )

[edit] Aaaaarrgghh just died with the true last boss having one hit worth of health left

Oh, yeah, I got that controls bug too, where it'd look like this?

thdQTir.jpg

You could fix it by switching back to the defaults and just changing the buttons you needed to, but yer man has been patching it and most of the jankiness is gone now, I think.

The game is nails! :DRevenge bullets flying at you from enemies right at the bottom of the screen.

I'd been taking a little break from playing there over christmas and figured this'd be a nice, comfy dip my toe back in. Nuh-uh! It's not that type of game, you have to be 100% alert at all times!

Every achievement I've been getting for it has been those sparkly gold "0.1% of players have this", so either I'm the only cunt who bought this actually playing or everyone else is finding it harder.

I cam get 4 stages in currently before it hands me my backside. Might be time to swallow my pride and turn it down to easy, just until I get a feel for the later stages, at least!

Ikusaaaaaaan is coming to steam! That came out of nowhere.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1848730/IKUSAAAAAAAN/

Moon Dancer coming in 4 days - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1790250/Moon_Dancer/

Grand Cross coming in 9 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1808900/GRAND_CROSS_ReNOVATION/

Operation Steel in 2 weeks - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1489300/Operation_STEEL/

This demo looks like it'll be worth trying - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1820700/Praecantor_Lila__Bell_Spell/

Terra Cresta and Terra Force are both reduced in the Switch sale at the mo (think it finishes today).

They're both interesting games and I've been hammering Terra Cresta the last couple of days. Used to play it back in the day and I've forgotten how brutally tough it is. I'm assuming Terra Force is linked to it, although mechanically it's very different. It's a vertically scrolling shooter and the most interesting aspect of it is you can use your limited bombs to blast holes in the floor at certain points and then enter side-scrolling sections.

Both are worth the three odd quid they currently cost.

Monolith update: Fuckin' did it 🙌 

Got a half-decent weapon (laser, homing, triple) and figured out a couple of the bullet patterns on the TLB and was able to get through. 100% the same feeling of 1CCing a real shmup. There's DLC for the game which I'll pick up after a short break to play something else; it apparently rebalances a lot of stuff to potentially make it a mite easier and wanted to get the non-DLC 1CC first because brains are stupid.

It's very, very good and was everything I wanted games like Enter the Gungeon and Nuclear Throne to be. Those are both still good but this just felt more right to me. 21+ hours of improvement and learning to get to this point and I should really put this much effort into things that are more important.

been playing some dodonpachi sdoj, wanted to play it last year but couldn't find it, it's great fun but really difficult, well i've been mostly playing novice and 360 modes which are a lot easier but still really difficult. don't think i'll 1cc any of the modes, can get to the last boss part on the 360 mode with the easy mode ship but then there's ~4? bosses that kick my ass!

cool that swag is coming out here, looked at importing it but wasn't convinced by footage that it was worth the high price, will definitely give it a go for £15.

On 10/01/2022 at 15:44, ImmaculateClump said:

Oh, yeah, I got that controls bug too, where it'd look like this?

thdQTir.jpg

You could fix it by switching back to the defaults and just changing the buttons you needed to, but yer man has been patching it and most of the jankiness is gone now, I think.

The game is nails! :DRevenge bullets flying at you from enemies right at the bottom of the screen.

I'd been taking a little break from playing there over christmas and figured this'd be a nice, comfy dip my toe back in. Nuh-uh! It's not that type of game, you have to be 100% alert at all times!

Every achievement I've been getting for it has been those sparkly gold "0.1% of players have this", so either I'm the only cunt who bought this actually playing or everyone else is finding it harder.

I cam get 4 stages in currently before it hands me my backside. Might be time to swallow my pride and turn it down to easy, just until I get a feel for the later stages, at least!

Ikusaaaaaaan is coming to steam! That came out of nowhere.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1848730/IKUSAAAAAAAN/

Moon Dancer coming in 4 days - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1790250/Moon_Dancer/

Grand Cross coming in 9 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1808900/GRAND_CROSS_ReNOVATION/

Operation Steel in 2 weeks - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1489300/Operation_STEEL/

This demo looks like it'll be worth trying - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1820700/Praecantor_Lila__Bell_Spell/

Dude - you're a shmup info machine and I love it. My wallet less so...

Haha, thanks man. Remember, you don't have to buy everything! :D

Speaking of which, those saturn tribute games have gotten steam pages. The input lag will be a lot better on pc, but still probably worse than just playing the games in a decent emulator. We'll see.

I might grab guardian force when it comes out and try that one. Not really too interested in the other games.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1708820/Guardian_Force__Saturn_Tribute/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1708800/COTTOn_2__Saturn_Tribute/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1708810/COTTOn_Boomerang__Saturn_Tribute/

Excellent work on monolith, strawdonkey :D

I'm making progress in Blazend, I held my nerve and didn't drop the difficulty. I think I've nearly got this stage figured out, and then I've got two more to hopefully learn and perfect. Looking forward to Moon Dancer coming on saturday, that'll be a nice change of pace, terarin's games are usually nice and breezy.