IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

17 hours ago, geldra said:

Eschatos up on the Switch store. 

It’s nice to be playing Judgement Silversword again (playable in Eschatos) BUT it’s annoying that they have screen rotation options but not control rotation options. So it’s unplayable on a Switch Lite (for MAXIMUM Wonderswan vibage obvs).  

Nekotosakana, new game from the klorets lad.

https://nizakashii.itch.io/nksk

I wanna live in this guys brain. Everything's so cute and chill :D The food looks lush!
It's really good fun!

I'll have to run through it again because I think I chose restart when I died and it made me continue rather than restarting, I think.

That boss with the two lasers got me. Don't judge me! It was hard to know when the lasers were gonna go off at first!

edit: There's a score to beat, if you fancy.

ohmcnCn.jpg

I've beat all the modes in Moon Dancer.

I managed to get a no miss on hard mode.

There's my scores if you fancy beating them. I don't think I got a very good score on normal so that should be easy.

Been trying to get a better score than I did in the demo in caravan mode but it's just not coming! I'll keep trying!

Oexw54T.png

The Q-Yo Blaster devs are having another go, Space Dragons - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1862530/Space_Dragons/

Let's hope this one isn't boring, runs at 30fps and is shit. Q-Yo did look gorgeous, but this one doesn't look anywhere near as good, I don't think.

That's a blast from the past!

It's fab, innit? Was the best twin stick going until nex machina came along.

The stages are really tight, but I like the endless mode too.

50 quid? Did you buy a gold plated physical copy or something?

It's like 15 quid on steam and goes for under 4 quid in the sale - https://store.steampowered.com/app/250110/Assault_Android_Cactus/

18 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

That's a blast from the past!

It's fab, innit? Was the best twin stick going until nex machina came along.

The stages are really tight, but I like the endless mode too.

50 quid? Did you buy a gold plated physical copy or something?

It's like 15 quid on steam and goes for under 4 quid in the sale - https://store.steampowered.com/app/250110/Assault_Android_Cactus/

I bought the switch version. Going for a complete physical collection of switch shmups so going for the expensive ones I’ve missed.

3 hours ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Which are the most expensive? I'm guessing it's the limited press ones that you missed? Do you just have to get them second hand?

Yup, it's largely the limited run/super rare/play asia stuff. 

People on shmups have been helping me put together a physical list and I've got this assembled so far.

I'm including collections that include shmups as well.

If anything is missing let me know.

Abarenbo Tengu and Zombie Nation

Aces Of The Luftwaffe (Got)
Aleste Collection (Got)

Andro Dunos 2 (preorder)
Assault Android Cactus
Atari Flashback Classics (Asteroids, Tempest, Desert Falcon, too many to list) (Ordered)
The Binding Of Issac (Arena) (Got)

Black Bird (Got)
Caladrius Blaze (Got)
Cotton Reboot (Got)
Cotton & Guardian Force Saturn Tribute (Got)
Cotton 100% (Preordered)

Cotton Rock And Roll
Crimzon Clover (Preordered)
Danmaku Unlimited 3 (Got)
Darius Cosmic Collection Arcade (Got)
Darius Cosmic Collection Console (Got)
Dariusburst Another Chronicle ex+ (Got)
Deathsmiles I&II (Got)

Demon Throttle (preorder)
Dimension Drive (Got)
Earth Atlantis

Enter The Gungeon (Arena Shooter) (Got)
Esp.Ra.De. (Got)
Freedom Finger (Got)

Galek-Z The Void/Double Pack (Ordered)
Game Paradise Cruisin' Mix (Allegedly. One Day.) (preordered Lol)
G-Darius HD (Got)
Ghost Blade HD (Ordered)
Graceful Explosion Machine (Got)

Hisou Same, Same, Same (preorder)

Hyper Parasite (twinstick)
Ikaruga (Got)
Kyukyoku Tiger-Heli (Got)
Mushihimesama (Preordered)
Namcot Museum Archives vol. 1 (Galaxian, Dragon Spirit, Sky Kid, Xevious)
Namcot Museum Archives vol. 2 (Galaga, Gaplus, Super Xevious) (I don't think this is physical)
Neko Navi
Neurovoider (twinstickl) (got)
Pawarumi (Got)
Rolling Gunner (Got)
R-Type Dimensions EX (Got)
R-Type Final 2 (Got)
Radirgy Swag
Razeon EX (Got)
Panorama Cotton (preordered)
Panzer Dragoon Remake (Got)
Pengo Collection (Got)
Psikyo Shooting Stars Alpha (Got)
Psikyo Shooting Stars Bravo (Got)
Psyvariar Delta (Got)
Quadfighter (Got)
Raiden V Director's Cut (Got)
Raiden IV Mikado Remix (Got)
Riddled Corpses EX (Arena) Got

Rigid Force Redux (preorder)
Rival Megagun (Got)
RXN Raiken (Got)
Sega Genesis Classics (includes Biohazard Battle)
Shikhondo Soul Eater (Got)
Sine Mora EX (Got)
Sisters Royale (Got)
SNK 40th Anniversary Collection (Alpha Mission, Bermuda Triangle, Chopper I, Ozma Wars, Prehistoric Isle, Vanguard, World Wars) (Got)
Space Invaders Forever
Space Invaders Invincible Collection (Got)
Steradeen Binary Stars (Got)

Starhunter DX + Space Moth (Preordered)
Sturmwind Ex (Got)
Switch Shmups Collection (Armed 7 DX, Satazius Next, Wolflame) (Got)
Trigger Witch (arena) Got
Vasara Collection (Got)
Veloxity 2X (kinda) (Got)
Waifu Uncovered (Got)
Xeno Crisis (Arena)

On 13/01/2022 at 16:40, geldra said:

Wasn’t expecting Gunnail. 

Neither was I, it's a fairly decent shooter not that long, but very good looking as well for 1993. Keen to see more mid 1990s games from the arcade archive.

@strider Off the top of my head, you can add the "Star Hunter DX" and "Space Moth: Lunar" double pack to your list. Both excellent games! - https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/star-hunter-dx-space-moth-lunar-edition

That devolver digital physical only game, Demon Throttle, though it looks like that's not out yet - https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/06/devolver_digital_is_publishing_a_physical-only_nintendo_switch_game

Illmatic Swamp and Radirgy Swag double pack. I see you have swag, but I think this is different? - https://www.play-asia.com/illmatic-envelope-swamp-radirgy-swag/13/70eqk1

Got a no miss and a better score in Moon Dancer normal. That was bugging me because I made a few daft mistakes first time I played.

I'm a lot happier with that.

Tried to beat my score in caravan again but it's just not happening!

LbFGA9S.png

On the last boss of Assault Android Cactus and it's tough as nails. I've got its energy bar to zero but there's clearly something else I should be doing.

As an aside when does someone consider they've beaten a shmup?

When they've reached the end credits, when they've completed the game with every craft or when they go, "fuck this, it's too hard".

22 hours ago, strider said:

On the last boss of Assault Android Cactus and it's tough as nails. I've got its energy bar to zero but there's clearly something else I should be doing.

I can't remember the final boss, but it looks like this guy will give you some hints.

22 hours ago, strider said:

As an aside when does someone consider they've beaten a shmup?

When they've reached the end credits, when they've completed the game with every craft or when they go, "fuck this, it's too hard".

A 1cc of normal, I'd say, is the bare minimum for you to say "yes, I finally beat X"

If you're consistently tapping out by stage 3, get some chill doujin clears under your belt and build up your shmup muscle before trying to tackle the harder games.

Blue Wish Resurrection Plus is top nana and it costs nothing! - https://xxgameroom.itch.io/blue-wish-resurrection-plus

Try the GG Aleste games you've got in the aleste collection! They're really chill and no less fun for it.

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

I can't remember the final boss, but it looks like this guy will give you some hints.

A 1cc of normal, I'd say, is the bare minimum for you to say "yes, I finally beat X"

If you're consistently tapping out by stage 3, get some chill doujin clears under your belt and build up your shmup muscle before trying to tackle the harder games.

Blue Wish Resurrection Plus is top nana and it costs nothing! - https://xxgameroom.itch.io/blue-wish-resurrection-plus

Try the GG Aleste games you've got in the aleste collection! They're really chill and no less fun for it.

Completed Cactus last night (more than one credit though). I've got around 220 Switch games so I'm going to focus more on getting to the end of a lot of them, but I may tackle the Aleste games like you've mentioned.

Looking at the switch games you have, "Black Bird" normal should be a pretty easy 1cc as well. I think the final boss would be the only tricky part.
You shoot the power ups and they cycle between speed, bomb and extra lives and you could make sure you pick up lots of lives.

Black Bird is fantastic!

One man's clear is another man's u wot m8. As far as putting stuff in the what games you completed thread goes, I usually aim for some kind of 1CC but some games I know I'm not going back to after they've been shamelessly credit-fed, but being done with a game doesn't have to come hand-in-hand with mastering it or even just being able to survive it.

I'm currently playing Exceed 2nd at the moment, and I reckon I've got the 1CC in me, but if I stop enjoying it and the best I get is a 2CC, I'd still consider that "finished". I've only got so much life left in me and sometimes it's better spent elsewhere.

In short: just have fun with the games yeah

Yeah, definitely.

You get a feeling for how doable a game is going to be at your current skill level as you're playing, and if it's far out of reach, you have to decide when it's worth pushing for or just walking away. You can always come back.

I think I might be able to 1cc ketsui at my current skill level. There's a guy I know and it took him a month, but I reckon it'd take me more like half a year grinding it, the way I play, learning every stage inside out and getting my route down.
I don't want to do that, I could spend the same time playing 20 or 30 chill doujin games and having way more fun.

I don't like exceed 2nd's ikargua style colour switching mechanic, makes my brain dislocate.
Exceed 3rd is godly though, one of my favourites. Make sure you play that in the future!