Shmups

Dr Seedyman

18 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Haven't played a shmup in anger for a little while for various reasons and have some unfinished business. It is officially close enough to Halloween for it to be Time For Deathsmiles.

I'll be putting in a bit of time to Deathsmiles Black Label to try and pick up the 1cc I never quite managed when I first started playing it, and would invite anyone else in the same situation (or who just fancies a bit of score-chasing) to join in. The goal is to have at least achieved the 1cc by Halloween 2022 and as a sidenote am gunning for having that second score-based extend reliably in the bag too.

Current status is that I can get to the final boss about 50% of the time, I'm avoiding all the extra stages for now, and always forget to use bombs.

Join me in being Bad At Shmups!

Great idea!

Yeah, that sounds good.

NeverAwake comes out tomorrow, so I'll be wanting to play that first and Gunvein is coming out later in the month (unless it gets pushed back again), but hopefully I can slip some deathsmiles MBL in between those two.
I want to see all this lovely slowdown on the new port. I've only ever played the other pc version of that mode which was just balls out, full speed all the way through as far as I could tell!

Oh, hang on, that hazelnut hex is coming october first, that'll give you a witch fix. Deathsmiles might have to wait, but I'll see.

There's a very early demo of edens eclipse here, if you're interested in trying it - https://xxgameroom.itch.io/edens-eclipse

There's a demo for cyberblocker as well if you want to try that. Good fun arkanoid type game coming out in a couple of weeks. - https://store.steampowered.com/app/2123390/CyberBlocker_Complete_Edition/

Finished NeverAwake. All worlds, route A and B.
Can't say I enjoyed much of that, I have to be honest.

Was just going through the motions most of the time. Boss fights weren't great.

There are a lot of unnecessary unlockables, and it's very stop/start what with you doing each stage individually.
The game had me going through previous levels and completing challenges in order to unlock the final world :S
I would have much preferred a well balanced tight campaign instead of all these levels, but I think this is more aimed at normal people.

I don't feel the urge to go back and beat my time or score on any of the stages.

Certainly looks nice, and I don't regret buying it, but it's just not much fun to play, I don't think.
It's been ages since I've played a twin stick shooter, my hands are aching in funny places and I've gotten a little blister on my right thumb :D

edit: Oh, it plays better on mouse and keyboard, I think. I didn't even think to try that. Plays great in game, but navigating the menus is a right pain.

It's all press "return" and press the keys "l" or "r", instead of the "l" and "r" bumpers on the pad, just madness.

Playing more Gleylancer and choosing the seeker option makes things so much easier it feels like cheating compared to the other choices. Still do encounter occasional odd random deaths because of event bullets sometimes getting lost when there's lots of stuff happening on screen. 

Trial of Sol Cresta up on Steam... going to give it a quick whirl see what its like. It's got mixed reviews, loved Terra Cresta back in the day so it will be interesting to see what they have done with the game!

On 26/09/2022 at 21:55, strawdonkey said:

Haven't played a shmup in anger for a little while for various reasons and have some unfinished business. It is officially close enough to Halloween for it to be Time For Deathsmiles.

I'll be putting in a bit of time to Deathsmiles Black Label to try and pick up the 1cc I never quite managed when I first started playing it, and would invite anyone else in the same situation (or who just fancies a bit of score-chasing) to join in. The goal is to have at least achieved the 1cc by Halloween 2022 and as a sidenote am gunning for having that second score-based extend reliably in the bag too.

Current status is that I can get to the final boss about 50% of the time, I'm avoiding all the extra stages for now, and always forget to use bombs.

Join me in being Bad At Shmups!

I sold my 360 copy :facepalm: I might have the arcade version on MAME somewhere.

I remember being able to 1CC the 360 game but only if I planned out a specific route and didn't go for the more difficult stage variants. For me, the key is to have 1000 items at the right time in order to survive the more difficult moments - but if you know what you're doing you can do that thing where you power-up and create enough items to instantly get back to 1000.

About bombs: it took me ages to remember that bombs replenish if you completely lose a block of health (or a life, or whatever they are), so it's better to use them rather than eat the hit and lose a life whilst still holding on to them.

On 29/09/2022 at 21:29, ImmaculateClump said:

Finished NeverAwake. All worlds, route A and B.
Can't say I enjoyed much of that, I have to be honest.

Was just going through the motions most of the time. Boss fights weren't great.

There are a lot of unnecessary unlockables, and it's very stop/start what with you doing each stage individually.
The game had me going through previous levels and completing challenges in order to unlock the final world :S
I would have much preferred a well balanced tight campaign instead of all these levels, but I think this is more aimed at normal people.

I don't feel the urge to go back and beat my time or score on any of the stages.

Certainly looks nice, and I don't regret buying it, but it's just not much fun to play, I don't think.
It's been ages since I've played a twin stick shooter, my hands are aching in funny places and I've gotten a little blister on my right thumb :D

edit: Oh, it plays better on mouse and keyboard, I think. I didn't even think to try that. Plays great in game, but navigating the menus is a right pain.

It's all press "return" and press the keys "l" or "r", instead of the "l" and "r" bumpers on the pad, just madness.

I was playing this last night and totally agree. I don't understand why they didn't have a typical campaign mode either. 

This is a Chinese game isn't it? They seem to be a new overpowering force in videogaming - at least if Steam is anything to go by.

On 30/09/2022 at 15:57, Qazimod said:

I sold my 360 copy :facepalm: I might have the arcade version on MAME somewhere.

deathsmiles 1/2 pack pretty much available on all formats now if you did want to re-acquire it.

SEjHIS9.jpg

It's good. It's fun, I definitely want to play it again, but I do wish there was just a little something extra to it. Maybe if the stars gave you more gauge or more points the quicker you picked them up or something, or if there was an unlockable harder difficulty.

It's fun though, I like it.

edit: Oh, wait! There's a charge shot. "kill multiple enemies with your charge shot to release more stars and earn more points"
Doh! I'll try that next time :D

There, that's a bit better. Effed up the final boss, but the charge shot definitely makes things more interesting!

yWkkOf9.jpg

I picked up Sturmwind on Xbox for a couple of quid, always liked the DC original. 

It has a UHD option and it looks stunning!

Only problem is sometimes it’s hard to tell what scenery you can fly past and what will kill you. A few frustrating deaths so far!

In Hazelnut Hex, you can change the difficulty in the options from "normal" to "moderate" which seems to be hard mode, despite the weird naming.

The dev has uploaded the pc version to archive.org for anyone who can't afford it, which is extra classy, especially in the current financial fuckdown.

Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst on Switch is a very good port, one less reason to have my 360 set up! Now if only Livewire would hurry up and say they’re going to put Muchi Muchi Pork and Pink Sweets on Switch…

Just looked it up on steam and it looks awful, absolute dogshit stage design.
Just lazy shit to snatch up the shut-in wanker buck.

Thing is, this kind of crap has an audience, and it's way bigger than the shmup audience!
Those deep space waifu games sell really well and have thousands of reviews. Then you look at something like blue wish desire, 31 reviews.

I'll never understand this sort of thing. You have the internet, christ, if you're that perverted, you have the dark web. Go and sort yourself out first and then play a proper game with both hands.

I mean, we had to sit through hours of dullness with Samantha Fox strip poker back in the day for the fleeting, abstract thrill of seeing some black and white pixelated norks, because we had no choice, but things have moved on, surely.
You call this progress?!

Honestly, good for nintendo, I know one man's trash is another man's treasure, but that's trash in anyone's book. I only wish that Gabe hadn't sat on the sluice gate and broke it that day and let all of that crap flood onto steam.
It's still possible, but finding the gems on there is becoming increasingly difficult. A lot of the shmup category's now are becoming swamped with "vampire survivors" clones and other nonsense that you would never call a shmup.

Gunvein demo day, boys. How's that for luck?!

edit: Oh, and welcome, Sel Feena! :D Nice to see a new face on here.

Yay, got over a million in score rush today.
Seems like you're best off killing everything as quickly as possible so you can get past the boss and hyper as many boxes as you can at the end.
I can tighten that up a lot more. I wasted a bomb, took ages to kill some waves and timed my last bomb on the boss really poorly.

1,088,965 - https://streamable.com/762qj2

I've been giving the main mode a bit more love as well. The different characters all feel very unique and usefull.

You'll probably enjoy playing with the slow middle ship at first until you start to feel the layout of the stage and where the hidden items are and stuff. She has a very wide lock on and uncovers them all easily and you can lock on to bosses without getting too close.

The third ship feels great, it's very fast but when you hold focus you have this sort of ball of lighting in front of you which kills enemies and you can drop it to cause an explosion. Feels really good, but you have to get used to the speed, you can run into bullets quite easily with that ship.

Thunderbird is out now in early access.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1847380/Thunderbird/

The demo was great.

edit: I'd recommend you play on hard first because I think normal is more easy mode.

Flesh dev has posted a development update on steam today

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1660850/discussions/0/3273564019244009445/#c3397427506592196478

He's aiming for a 12 december release

Got Hell Blasters on sale for Switch. Did a quick easy mode 1CC before bed. Damn this is hella good.

Not much go in depth on but I like the visuals and the scoring system. I’ve been needing a shmup like this that is basic and can be picked up by anyone. I broke into a large grin while playing it casually, the last shmup I played to make me do that was Futari.

In short: fantastic casually; definitely going to try and play it seriously.

Yeah, it gets a bad rap, but I think it's great.
The music is amazing, and I really love the hidden bonuses and the coin collecting.
People complain that it's too easy and that you've got nothing to dodge since you cancel most of the patterns, but that's just not true, especially later in the game, and there's plenty of dodging during the bosses.
They really nailed the "spectacle" aspect, and the caravan stage is lots of fun.

I mean, listen to that! If that doesn't get you pumped to shoot the shit out of some alien scum, nothing will.

Yay! I managed to beat his score

1,298,312 - https://streamable.com/9px1aq

Went to the discord only to find that some fresh arse-taster called "nikki" has scored "1,313,482" :hmm:

CyberBlocker and Dead End City out today

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2123390/CyberBlocker_Complete_Edition/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1880840/Dead_End_City/