Shmups

Dr Seedyman

It seems to have been a deliberate omission, I think in large part due to time constraints but also possibly so as not to step on the Playstation Classic's toes, since the Japanese model includes the game. Ironically, one of the devs said that Gaiden ended up being really difficult and time-consuming to port accurately (some small elements are still due to be corrected in a patch), creating much more work than G-Darius probably would have...

It's still great to have as a collection of the 'classic' games, imo. The standard edition includes a version of Sagaia almost nobody has played before, which justifies the whole thing by itself, for me.

Edit: as a follow-up to the Extra Version video, here's the original Gaiden cleared without autofire.

Edit: improved version of this run here

On 27/03/2019 at 20:03, Klatrymadon said:

It's still great to have as a collection of the 'classic' games, imo. The standard edition includes a version of Sagaia almost nobody has played before, which justifies the whole thing by itself, for me.

I'd have to disagree with that. There's a large number of Darius games and to release just four on a compilation while purposely holding additional games in the series back for an insanely expensive limited edition is just a slight on the consumer. I love the Darius games but I've not purchased this because it's been made as an exercise in greed. It's also the main reason why I probably won't pick up the second and third Psikyo collections. Taito should have taken a leaf out of Capcom's book and created something similar to its Street fighter anniversary collection.

Anyone remember last year's announcement that Vasara and Vasara 2 will be ported as a collection to the Switch?

There's been an update and the Vasara Collection is now headed to pretty much everything in early 2019:

http://www.qubyteinteractive.com/games/vasara/news/news-01292019.html

Physical version of the Shoot 'Em Up VASARA Collection for

Nintendo Switch, PS4 and PS Vita.

Digital versions for

Switch, PS4, PSVita, Xbox One, PC and Mac

Shikhondo's really good - it's all based on Korean folkloric demons and is equal parts vanillaware, cave and psyvariar, though not really equal to the sum of those parts sadly. I've more than got my money's worth trying to 1cc it though and the boss transformations are all very inventive and body horror.

I'm currently sat at #5 in the world on novice kiddy mode in the online rankings!

I use a Razer Panthera, they're pricey but fantastic. The low lag was a big deciding factor, I think it's meant to be like 2ms or something. Like a lot of people I prefer a shorter throw than the stock JLF, for fighters too but especially for shooters, so it does have a Kowal actuator in there as well. Love how it all feels.

The cheaper Evo version uses Razer's own buttons which apparently aren't great but can be modded, though apparently that's more faffy than the older Panthera.

Great thanks.. not sure what the budget is yet! I'm selling lots of old retro stuff over the forthcoming months to clear it all out. Part of the things I am going to spend funds on is buying some kit for my current gen machines/PC to enjoy the old retro type games. Plan to get a PS2 emulator up and running on the PC so I can access the R-Types I have on that.

So I guess it has to work on a PC too. Guessing they are USB anyway so should be fine.

In other news just realised that Terra Cresta has been available on PS store for ages... that was my favourite game back in the day along with Salamander! Can't wait the Rype Final 2 as well it will be shooter nirvana for me. :) 

Remember playing the C-64 version of Terra Cresta and playing it though until it crashed on me... dammit... think I was going to loop it too.... 

Yeah, plug and play on PC. Think all PS4 sticks will be.

I don't know what other PS2 emulators are like but personally I find PCSX2 too laggy for shooters/fighters/action games. It doesn't have an exclusive fullscreen mode for some bizarre reason so there's no way around it as far as I know. I play on a TV with relatively low input lag but I guess a really low latency monitor might gain a frame over it, which could maybe push it into the realms of being OK. It feels like it'd need more than that to me though.

Just something to bear in mind if PS2 emulation is going to be a big factor in deciding whether or not to chuck loads of money at a stick.

26 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Yeah, plug and play on PC. Think all PS4 sticks will be.

I don't know what other PS2 emulators are like but personally I find PCSX2 too laggy for shooters/fighters/action games. It doesn't have an exclusive fullscreen mode for some bizarre reason so there's no way around it as far as I know. I play on a TV with relatively low input lag but I guess a really low latency monitor might gain a frame over it, which could maybe push it into the realms of being OK. It feels like it'd need more than that to me though.

Just something to bear in mind if PS2 emulation is going to be a big factor in deciding whether or not to chuck loads of money at a stick.

Going to experiment with PC emulators over the next month. Have two old PS2s laying around and a small CRT screen. Amongst other retro gear. Guess it will come down to how often it all gets played vs just having it accessible for a quick go now and again.

Its always a question of space. In all honesty hardly ever play the retro stuff but like having it around.. kind of like old records CDs etc. However there isn't an easy way of playing older content without having all the consoles around. So guessing I'll ultimately just have to make a decision at some point. There are some nice shooters coming through on the newer consoles. Ikaruga and Radient Silvergun are both on the 360/Xbox One (via BC). PS4 has Terra Cresta and Salamander. So might be enough.

It will be interesting to see what Sony do with the next iteration of the PlayStation. It might even play PS2 games via an emulator. Not holding my breath though....

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Revival said:

This is out today £15.99. Will probably pick it up later and let you all know what the general options/screen modes are (if any)

Awesome! Just ordered this on PS4.... Which version are going going for?  

Looking forward to looking through the e-Book!

EDIT : OK just read around they are developed by Hamster which is great news as they did a good job with Salamander... :) 

What is R-Type dimensions like on the PS4? Might pick up this too.... complete my shooty goodness acquisitions...

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP2038-CUSA14559_00-RTYPEDIMENSIONSE?emcid=pa-st-165860

I've got about 40 shmups on the Xbox so it's nice to have them all in one place pinned in their own group.

Yep this package is by Hamster, It's got the 'powered by Arcade Archives' on the title screen.

Have only tried Nemesis so far and it plays perfectly, nice and responsive. Sound is spot on.

The Display settings for Nemesis are:

Blurring = Off - Mild - Strong [it's scanlines]

Display Ratio = Original - 16:9

Frame = Off - A - B [A screen border for when display ratio is set to Original] Unfortunately the borders are just generic and don't change for each game.

Controls = On - Off

If you leave controls = on you get an attrusive bar at the bottom of the screen and your play area is reduced to around 80% but it shows:

view button = option menu or right stick : Game Manual

The Game Manual is quite nicely done as it mimicks the original how to play marquee that would have been on the arcade game and shows you all of the details of power ups etc.

-----------------------------------------------

One thing to note there doesn't seem to be any Tate options for Scramble, Typhoon or Twinbee.

Overall as a package it's nicely done, 7 shmups and Haunted Castle Arcade (Castlevania)

Great thanks of the heads up! :)

Never sure which format to go for these days. Decided to gravitate towards getting digital content on the PS4 because I'm more likely to buy a PS5 next gen than a Xbox.

Have a few shooters on my 360 - namely Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga - think they are BC on the Xbox One too.

Looking forward to playing the Konami collection tonight... Never really played TwinBee :) 

Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun definitely on BC, as well as Guwange, but sadly the top tier list stops round about there.

Thanks also @Revival. I've rarely played any of the 80s shmups, having not really got into the genre until the last eighteen months or so. I picked this up and I've really enjoyed it so far. These games are rock hard, though! I think I've been truly spoiled by one pixel hit boxes in Mushihimesama Futari and Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu and all that stuff. :D

Nice little collection. 

I've being having fun with the Arcade Classics pack tonight...  the design notes e-book is great (although the font doesn't scale well at all!!!).

Life Force (the version of Salamander in this) is a bit different to Salamander. It's the American version so the speech has changed a bit as has the background colours. Much prefer the Salamander release version - if you are into Salamander its worth picking up the separate game from the PSN store as it has all the versions of this... including the version they released here in the UK.

Great little package.. had a quick run through most of the games....worth picking  up if you are fan of Konami shooters.

Yeah I can't wait to grab this. The choice of Life Force over Salamander is a bit puzzling (I like both the US and JP versions, but they're not necessarily the 'definitive' or best ones), but including Thunder Cross was a great move - always thought it was their most underrated Gradius-adjacent shooter. I hope they do another arcade collection, too - there are so many one-off belters to mine, like Xexex. 

Ed: Steam version crashes to the desktop whenever I try to launch a game. From the menu it appears there are no control or display options, either. Hope it isn't as bare-bones and shoddy as it seems - coulda swore I saw display options in clips of the Switch version... 

Spanish dev Joysan has a game out next week (24th) Zeroptian Invasion.

Zeroptian Invasion is a classic shoot ‘em up with mechanics from other arcades of the 80’s. Travel back in time with this unique pixilated experience with an incredible soundtrack in chiptune.

I know for sure the Xbox One version is out next week, It's also due out on Vita, PS4 and Switch just not sure if they're same date.

On 17/04/2019 at 22:16, Pockets said:

Just keeps mashing things like you’re pressing loads of buttons without touching the controller. 

Not sure how to press loads of buttons without touching the controller, but I tried mashing while playing Mushi and it responds like you expect it to. Didn't notice anything weird.

• 2 weeks later...

so when is 10 AM ET and 6 PM ET in UK time? (3pm and 11pm?)

limited run games are doing battle garegga, fancy version with soundtrack and m2 documentary (sounds like this is going to be on YouTube), which i'd like but not sure i can justify the price.