Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Same. It seems to load the entire game, then everything is very quick, which I am fine with. A bit like an arcade machine or MAME I guess. I prefer that to a quick start screen then a slow life from then on... my 2ç

BTW if you want to watch some decent Mushihimesama... 

7 hours ago, spatular said:

i've got the disk version on ps4, guess it takes about 1 min to get to the menu, but after that it's pretty quick.

what's up with the switch version?

Sounds similar though it feels like the initial load is longer than a minute. 

Because Sony initially were very negative and actively didn't want 2D old school games on their new system, MS went on to help fund most of the JP exclusives on the 360 that generation so that coupled with Sony's very anti approach made it the ideal platform for them and shmups in general for that generation.

You've got to remember the market for shmups is relatively small and despite the PS having the larger install bases shmups have typically sold better on the alternating systems [Saturn vs PS One] [DC vs PS2] [360 vs PS3]

16 minutes ago, sharak said:

Anyone know why CAVE went with the 360 in Japan for their games? The home crowd would have preferred PS3 no doubt?

There's a good Cave episode of the Cane and Rinse podcast, actually. Addresses this in a bit of detail, among lots of other stuff. 

https://caneandrinse.com/cave-shoot-em-ups/

And apologies for the slow reply to the PM, busy today and bloody knackered from Gus! 

On the Japanese PSN store Ketsui seems to be 4,070 yen which is about £10 cheaper than the physical version at about £29 so I think I'm gonna go for that. Only problem is Play-Asia seem to be out of PSN credit other than the 10,000 and 1,000 yen ones at the minute. G2A have the 5,000 yen ones but I really don't like giving them money if I can avoid it.

9 hours ago, spatular said:

with amazon you pay the VAT in advance, but it does cut out the handling fees royal mail etc charge.

Indeed. It's not cheap but it does remove the doubt and delay, if I'm getting a few things then I generally go with them. You do the same with Amazon.com yet they take over a week for some reason.

And 75 gold points! Quids in.

Anyway, impressions of ESP Da Re from a noob after a couple of hours are that it's hard, great and immensely satisfying learning to improve incrementally. So, just what I expected and wanted. What I didn't expect was how good the presentation would be in a genre where in a lot of my previous experience you get the bare bones and maybe some token extras. Understandable given the commercial realities but this is pretty wonderful. I can read Japanese to a point but it's a bit of work and there are so many options to tweak here I was getting exhausted translating it - -really didn't expect that. And although I am predominantly sticking to the Arcade mode with one credit, the easier modes, practices, quick saves and Arcade Plus are all great and welcome additions. All it's missing is a superplay/tutorial broken down by sections like the GameCube version (and none of the subsequent ports IIRC) of Ikaruga had.

"Please continue"

Yes sir!

16 hours ago, Yasawas said:

Gratuitous upvote bait but I've had a tough old week so indulge me pls :omg:

IMG_0034.thumb.jpg.1d871aba78570f61bcea8671bb4ae191.jpg

2 days from Amazon Japan - genuinely amazed by that! It'll be a wee while before I get to play it yet, does it have friend leaderboards? SW-4002-4511-1260 if so.

Ordered this. :D

I love it.  Stylistically it has always been my fave Caver. I love the whole emo kids with psychic powers mixed with the military vibe of the enemies. I was always a bit gutted that the semi follow ups went down the “fairy” route. 

On a general shmup note, I know this kinda contradicts what I said above but I largely fucking despise the trend for kiddy manga characters in a lot of more recent shmups (thinking of stuff like Caladrius Blaze etc).  Even the remake of Psyvariar managed to crowbar some kids in. Bah. 

#grumpyoldman

edit: basically more games need bald middle aged men as characters. 

Finally got Battle Garegga off the US PSN store. Had to add another $10 on top of the credit as I didn't realise that once you got to the PSN checkout a random tax of $3 was going to be added, a verification phone call from a nice lady at Play-Asia later and it was downloading. One thing I was surprised about was that Sony don't seem to recognise just changing your email address a bit to create a brand new account in a different region, I just added "+usa" in front of @gmail.com and it was perfectly happy to give me a new account with all emails automatically going straight to my normal address. 

Is playing Battle Garegga with the handy setting where you can actually see the enemy bullets considered "cheating"? On my first go with them set to flashing purple I got further than I've ever gotten before and it felt like a more enjoyable, far less frustrating than my experience with the game in the past. Ketsui is definitely next but I'm still on the fence about Dangun Feveron, I'll maybe play it for a while longer before going for the M2 version as the style of it never really clicked with me but I don't think I ever put any significant amount of time into it. If only I hadn't had to give that screen with full rotation back to my work :( Playing in tate mode was great but I do really like the M2 gadgets, perhaps the answer is just to buy a ludicrously huge screen.

For a long long time, I've been dreaming of getting the first extend at 350m in the first stage of Futari God Mode. For ages, my PB was about 240m, then a couple of weeks ago I fluked a 340m which I just couldn't repeat for toffee. I started playing apeshit to figure out some heavier scoring and then gradually got it consistent. This weekend, I went pretty hard. I was so close last night, just fucked it up at the last second or the last boss phase twenty or thirty times. It was frustrating but I realised that the more consistent I got, the better chance I had. I just needed to take the YOLO strats and play a bit safer and cleaner.

Anyway, I woke up this morning and did it, at the very very last second. That extend sound is so satisfying! It wasn't the maximum cancel on the boss but it was enough and I scored pretty heavily throughout the stage to get me over the line. I wouldn't say I'd be troubling Gus any time soon, but I'm happy with this.

@Triple A Quite a lot, to be honest. The previous 340m run was purely down to getting a big flukey gem cancel off the middle boss phase, which I then cashed out for about 170m. That time, I reached the boss with around 170m whereas on this run, I arrived at the boss with 230m. I also have a much better route now, scoring more heavily before the midboss and building multiplier more quickly but it's also pretty safe and consistent. A lot of that 343m was pure YOLO stuff which is why it was so hard to repeat. I basically had to start again with my strats and route for a number of sections. 

If I had got the same big boss cancel on this run, it would have probably been 400m. That's something to go for in future but I just wanted to hit the extend and get consistent. I'm going to leave the scoring for now and start trying for the God Mode 1CC.