rllmuk
Dr Seedyman

Shmups

Well that reveal for Natsuki Chronicles didn't happen in Sep/Oct but a listing for the game has tuned up on the UK Xbox store this morning with a release date of December 25th at a price of £35.49

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/natsuki-chronicles/9n7jx1rb5tjz?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Looks like it's getting a worldwide digital release, If I hear anything new today I'll place an update.

-new vid

• Upvote 4

Gutted this is Xbox One exclusive - Eschatos and Ginga Force are two of the best STGs of the last decade or so, so this feels almost guaranteed to be incredible. It seems to be taking a lot of the strongest design influences from the best horis, and following Ginga Force in having hugely customisable ships with dozens of weapon loadouts. 

That looks great. I was just about to pack my XB1X away to enable my dropping a shelf of my hi-fi rack - looks like the shelf is staying there now.

Jamestown+ came out on Steam last week... :) I think it's a PC version of the updated Jamestown that came out on consoles?

What do we mean by "+"?:
Two all-new, handcrafted levels set on Phobos & Deimos, the moons of Mars.

New ships: Brave the horrors of Mars with several powerful new ships and their unique loadouts, including Treason's powerful fusillades of homing missiles, Ghost's mighty close-range Excalibur and shadow double, and The Armada, three new configurable characters allow for 36 possible weapon loadouts, allowing players to craft their own playstyle.

Countless improvements large and small, including new background & enemy artwork, level layout adjustments, bullet pattern tweaks, and a completely scratch-built user interface.
The original soundtrack and sound effects have been carefully remastered for 5.1 surround sound, powered by the all-new Gorilla Audio engine.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/377950/Jamestown/

17% off for new players; 70% off if you already own vanilla Jamestown on Steam (offers end Thursday.)

• Upvote 2

ESP Ra.De. is now available on the Japanese eShop. Really enjoying it a lot so far. Lots of the usual M2 care and attention with different modes and OST and save states and gallery and a whole host of options. It's in Japanese for the most part but easy enough to navigate. It's one of my least played Cave games, probably only ahead of Dangun Feveron but it feels like a great fit on the Switch and although I'm not very familiar with it, and never played on PCB, it feels pretty snappy to me. Another top quality M2 job.

For Japanese eShop credit, I'd recommend g2a. I got ¥5000 for £34 versus the £42 or whatever at PlayAsia. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

ESP Ra.De. is now available on the Japanese eShop. Really enjoying it a lot so far. Lots of the usual M2 care and attention with different modes and OST and save states and gallery and a whole host of options. It's in Japanese for the most part but easy enough to navigate. It's one of my least played Cave games, probably only ahead of Dangun Feveron but it feels like a great fit on the Switch and although I'm not very familiar with it, and never played on PCB, it feels pretty snappy to me. Another top quality M2 job.

For Japanese eShop credit, I'd recommend g2a. I got ¥5000 for £34 versus the £42 or whatever at PlayAsia. 

It's my favourite by an absolute mile. Once you get the scoring down, it's incredible. Also, the music is brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Is there any option to make the additional menus English? This is the first M2 release I've bought so I'm not sure if that's something they usually put in there.

Edit : Had a look around and apparently it's not usually there in their JP releases, I've used the Google Translate function with the camera on my phone which has pretty much given me everything I need to know. Really handy application that.

• Empathy 1

Haven't played Futari God Mode in about a month but put it on this evening after a few runs of ESP Ra.De. Died almost immediately so instead of restarting like usual, I decided to just go for it and point blank as much as I could and pulled off some big bullet cancels. I guess it took the pressure off knowing I'd already 'fucked it'. Got a big midboss cancel, good big gem cancel at the worm, a pretty good boss phase one cancel and brought it home. After weeks and weeks banging my head short of 250m on stage one, I just got my PB by nearly 40m. I love this game so much. As much as DOJ's austere rhythm is deep under my skin, there's nothing quite as exhilarating to me as Futari. 

• Upvote 4

That was mad skills!  Nicely done  :)

I don't think the IOS versions of Cave games count as 'proper' Cave, but I love them (and touch controls make the games miles easier).   I loved Futari when it still worked on iOS, and hope it gets updated soon.

Lush that Esprade is out. Deffo may favourite looking Cave game. 

Any word on other Cave games coming out on Switch?

with these and the Toaplan releases (please please port Batsugun) it’ll be quite a good year for the Switch. 

Was there ever any chat about Zero Ranger getting a port?

edit: re Cave music, all about L2 on Futari for me like. Love that track. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Stoikovich said:

That was mad skills!  Nicely done  :)

I don't think the IOS versions of Cave games count as 'proper' Cave, but I love them (and touch controls make the games miles easier).   I loved Futari when it still worked on iOS, and hope it gets updated soon.

Cheers!

I don't have an iOS device but I heard they recently updated them all (android they were on sale) so Futari should work again! I've been working away recently and been playing on Android a fair bit of Aka to Blue (by an ex-Cave dev) and Gothic wa Mahou Otome (genuine Cave mobile vert danmaku in the Deathsmiles universe) which are both far better than I expected. The latter is full of MTX stuff but you can basically ignore it all. Great fun.

14 minutes ago, geldra said:

Lush that Esprade is out. Deffo may favourite looking Cave game. 

Any word on other Cave games coming out on Switch?

with these and the Toaplan releases (please please port Batsugun) it’ll be quite a good year for the Switch. 

Was there ever any chat about Zero Ranger getting a port?

edit: re Cave music, all about L2 on Futari for me. Love that track.

The Deathsmiles Collection is being ported to consoles by City Connection. Switch possibly not confirmed but I'm pretty sure I heard something. They also said something about Collection No. 1, I'm sure, so some suggestion that there will be more Cave ports to follow. Fingers crossed for DDP, Mushi and Espgaluda collections one day!

ZeroRanger dev has addressed it several times with a 'no current plans but would like to'. I think it'd be a great fit, as they say. 

And yeah, I love that Futari track. It's so cheerful and Christmassy! I also love it from a gameplay perspective. Those orange langoustine looking things and the massive bullet cancels. :D

• Upvote 1

Probably another silly question but, what is the difference between the two options when you first boot it up? I'm assuming the one on the left is just the original arcade and maybe the right hand one has extra gameplay modes?

On 18/12/2019 at 23:55, NickyDrinks said:

Probably another silly question but, what is the difference between the two options when you first boot it up? I'm assuming the one on the left is just the original arcade and maybe the right hand one has extra gameplay modes?

yeah thats it, left is arcade and the 2 arcade training modes, right is other stuff like easy mode and arcade plus (which i assume is an arrange mode).

got this yesterday, really impressed with the quick delivery from amazon. it's one of the few cave games i haven't played much, or at least played so long ago ive forgot most of it so it's like having a brand new cave game to play - so really enjoying it. it looks really nice too. i need to read up on the scoring, seems like it's something to do with using the special weapon thing to get 16x. 

anyone know if there's an autofire button? usually there is but i had a look in the options and couldn't find it.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Do you have to make a new jap amazon account or is there a way to buy it with your usual one?

Needs a new account iirc

In the Hunt is way way way better than I anticipated (I dunno why I had overlooked it before now).  Obvs very Metal Slug but slightly slower paced, which is kinda nice. 

Question for thread people - Stanshall's posts on Mushi Futari have got me interested but does anyone know if it's possible to buy the jpn version of a game via a uk xbox account and have it work? Link here - I'm also wondering if the £5 off voucher I picked up recently will work for this...

36 minutes ago, Fireproofradiator said:

Question for thread people - Stanshall's posts on Mushi Futari have got me interested but does anyone know if it's possible to buy the jpn version of a game via a uk xbox account and have it work? Link here - I'm also wondering if the £5 off voucher I picked up recently will work for this...

Long story short, it's a bit complicated.

There's a handful of games available via the Japanese marketplace but Mushi Futari isn't one. The link you posted is for the Black Label DLC rather than the main game. You can buy that when you have the full game on disc but you need to set up a Japanese account and buy JPN credit from PlayAsia or a similar site. It's easy enough to do that and you can play any digital purchases across all of your profiles/accounts. I would massively recommend the BL DLC, all of the modes are fantastic. 

Here's a shmups forum post with more details about what is available and region free:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=58787

There's almost nothing available digitally on the EU marketplace and although that list says Dodonpachi Resurrection/Daifukkatsu is available, and you will find it on there, you can't actually buy it. They just never bothered to delist it! 

There is a fair number of games available on region-free disc but this will mean importing from Japan unless you find someone selling it closer to home on eBay. Mushi Futari is one of those fortunately but it can be pretty expensive unless you get lucky. I think I got it for about sixty quid. I also went through the faff of setting up a HK account and using a VPN to buy Espgaluda 2 Black Label because a disc copy was looking like a hundred quid. This was a ballache, frankly, but it did eventually work and saved me seventy quid or something.

Unfortunately, you'll also see from that forum post that without a Japanese console, you'll still be missing out on some region locked classics like Ketsui, Mushi HD, Dodonpachi Daioujou Extra, and Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label.

Ultimately, I bought an RGH 360 and sold my UK one so I could play region free games. I obviously can't use Live leaderboards and so on and can't sign into my account online or I would get banned, but I don't need any of that stuff. I also backed up all my games so I could play them straight off the HD without having to change the disc. That's absolutely not my promoting piracy, just noting another convenience of getting an RGH console. Good luck with it! 

• Upvote 3

Edit - Stanshall gives a lot better reply about this above :)

I think that’s the black label dlc, not the full game. Iirc when the game came out the included (edit 2 - not sure there were included codes, maybe I bought it separate) dlc codes were redeemable on the uk marketplace, which was odd. maybe it’s possible with a Japanese account but again I’m not sure sorry. You’d possibly need the dlc to play the same mode as Stanshall too, as in black label the god mode replaces ultra. I think it works on mame these days. Flipping brilliant game, hopefully at some point M2 will port it to a more recent console.

ive been playing loads of esp ra.de. Over the holidays, got to the last boss with 3 lives, unexpectedly on a pretty lucky run, but I’m really bad at the boss so didn’t even make it half way. The last phase is really tough too.

• Upvote 1

I just bought a Switch, so might check out ESP.da.re soon, and I haven't yet brought my 360, massive arcade stick, and all my CAVE games over from when I lived in Japan (I now live in Germany, and these are stuck in the UK). But, now the iPad supports external controllers... quite impressive. I should really get my 360 over here though, but it will be hard with Brexit etc. Arses.

I often feel I am on the losing side (big SEGA fan here!), and end up buying systems which never succeed, or never have the right games. When I moved to Japan I got the much more popular PS3... and CAVE release all their games on the American Xbox. Madness. So, I bought an Xbox, exclusively for Schmups really. 

I am not sure if I should buy/can stomach buying the iOS versions–I played the demos of them loads back in the day and enjoyed the new modes and music, but it's a different experience for sure.  I know if CAVE released everything on the Switch I would find it hard to resist picking up plenty of titles. 

Currently, there's no way for me to play any of these CAVE schmups here in Germany and I kind of miss it. Hmph.

• Empathy 1

Just in case anyone else is like me and totally missed this from the Esp Ra De menus, if you press Y on any button in Controller Setting you can assign an auto shot frequency to it (I'm assuming it'll just be the square button on the PS4).

So over the holidays I sorted out my home ent system and got the JP Xbox 360 up and running again.

Good times! I played many of my 360 shmups again, of which I have most of them.

But in particular, OMG isn't Mushi Futari sublime. God Mode on Black Label is insane :-D

(not my playthrough);

• Upvote 1

Couldn't agree more. It's my GOTY by a long long way, having never played it before 2019. I did try Ultra 1.5 out recently and I was quite pleased to do OK for the first couple of hours, managed to route stage one reasonably but it just wasn't as exciting to me as BL God. Ultra is harder and there are more bullets and so on but it's much less spectacular and the scoring doesn't seem to have anything like the depth. Maybe I didn't get its nuances but I still feel like Futari God Mode is the most spectacular thing I've ever played. 

• Upvote 1

It's an absolute masterpiece. Now, where's that arranged music DLC?

I feel a little wary that there may never be a shmup as good as this, ever again. Works of art the likes as from CAVE, warrant Neo-Geo pricing IMO.

• Upvote 1

So, in a move I'm totally blaming on you buggers, I've recently dug out my ancient 360 and set it up with my old monitor in tate just to play the few Cave games I have on there. Pleasantly surprised to find what I thought was plain old Mushi was actually Futari so £10 and an incredible amount of faffing about later (it's impossible to enter a password with capital letters via stick-only input on a 360, who knew?) I now have Black Label. God Mode is indeed wonderfully insane but I think I need to get some semblance of skill back first! Original mode it is, for now. Looking forward to a bash on EspGaluda II and DDP this weekend also.

The release of Esp.Ra.De. shares a fair amount of the blame, to be fair, as it's one of my favourite shooters ever. I'm just lacking a decent control method for the Switch. The stick drift on my JoyCon randomly sending me upscreen to die is not the intended way to play it I feel. I've an 8bitDo controller on the way that hopefully has a decent d-pad and I'll probably end up picking up a convertor for my stick if an acceptable one exists. Fucking expensive habit this, isn't it?

• Upvote 1

Esprade (Switch) is damned fantastic like. Still my fave looking and sounding Caver. 

I hope all the ShotTrigger games see a Switch release. Would deffo pick up Garegga. 

• Upvote 1