Shmups

Dr Seedyman

18 hours ago, NickyDrinks said:

Finally got Battle Garegga off the US PSN store. Had to add another $10 on top of the credit as I didn't realise that once you got to the PSN checkout a random tax of $3 was going to be added

You're probably using a US address in a state with additional sales tax. 

17 minutes ago, geldra said:

That is fuckin’ ridiculous. :sealclap:

Hehe, thanks. My wife said the same but probably different intonation. 

17 minutes ago, sharak said:

Nice one @Stanshall!

What’s this on and how do you record it?

It's on the 360 and I just recorded it with my phone, which is why the screen slightly changes position! I use one of those goose neck things to hold the phone in place. It's obviously a ridiculous system but I think a capture card is a bit grandiose for my limited use. 

Not a bad solution, though. I would do the same! Nice one mate. 

I remember what I never liked about that game though, it’s the “yaaa” the character says. So nasal. I love the boss music and it’s a cool game, so i should give it another go.

This thread has me thinking I should probs nab the Mushi Futari DLC while it’s still available (never gonna play it but y’knaa). 

Notice a couple of people have recently picked it up. Are there any guides of what I need to do/where to get JPN XBLA points or currency?  

13 minutes ago, geldra said:

This thread has me thinking I should probs nab the Mushi Futari DLC while it’s still available (never gonna play it but y’knaa). 

Notice a couple of people have recently picked it up. Are there any guides of what I need to do/where to get JPN XBLA points or currency?  

I got it many years ago and my memory isn’t great, someone asked about it recently which reminded me a bit but anyway you might be able to get it on the uk store, try searching for “hutari”

edit - also awesome skills in that video, nice work Stanshall!

edit 2 - https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/Mushihimesama-hutari-Black-Lavel/00000000-0000-400c-80cf-0002435a07d7

37 minutes ago, geldra said:

Ohh man, the Black Label DLC is the absolute best. I hardly ever play 1.5 mode because BL is so exciting with all the cancels. God Mode is also easier than Ultra but again, I find it way more interesting to play for score. It's almost like a rhythm game in a way. 

It's dead easy to get the DLC albeit you need to set up a JPN account and get credit through PlayAsia or G2A or wherever. 

4 hours ago, stefcha said:

You're probably using a US address in a state with additional sales tax. 

Ah cheers yeah that'll be it. When I've to use an address over there that's not just made up I always use the same Pizza Hut in Utah, I'll have to change that to somewhere else if I'm gonna buy anything else.

3 hours ago, Pavey said:

Was the Black Label DLC ever released as a standalone product (in Japan) or came on a disk?

iirc there was a dlc disk in the cave collection, it's probably on that, but that probably isn't the easiest/cheapest thing to get hold of.

OK, sloooooowly getting into ESP.ra.de. I can tell it’s good, but now I am into the “challenge mode” things are coming together. 

What I would give for all the old CAVE ports to come to Switch (or PS4...) with this!!

Just managed to get Gold for Stage 1. Now moving to Stage 2. I monumentally suck :D

I also have Zelda to play as I collected all the chickens the other day :D

Edit: It’s definitely a “zone” thing. I am now in the zone. Just got G>G>G>Bronze in Stage 2. Now I think about it, I recall this happening with Dodonpachi many years ago; unsurprisingly things get easier and reactions faster, the more you play.

Without wanting to spam this thread, I came home and pasted my PB on Futari God by about 40m which is pretty significant. I got the max 30k multiplier cancel on the midboss and stage end boss for the first time. Otherwise, a pretty safe and clean run, not too much risk but just made the big moments count. Next run, I did it again. That tells me it's finally time to move onto stage two. Most satisfying thing I've ever done in a game, not relieved, I'm genuinely elated. 

26 minutes ago, sharak said:

OK, sloooooowly getting into ESP.ra.de. I can tell it’s good, but now I am into the “challenge mode” things are coming together. 

What I would give for all the old CAVE ports to come to Switch (or PS4...) with this!!

Really glad you're enjoying ESP, I'll defo get back to it and put some proper time into it again. I bloody love it. 

As for the Cave ports, Deathsmiles 1&2 are defo coming with more 'collections' to follow. Fingers crossed we hear more in the next few months! 

3 minutes ago, sharak said:

No spam as far as i am concerned!

Deathsmiles are confirmed? Link? I never really loved them on 360, so would give them another go.

https://www.gematsu.com/2019/09/deathsmiles-i-and-ii-coming-to-additional-platforms

It also mentions that this is Cave's 'multiplatform expansion #1' which hopefully means more to follow! 

3 hours ago, Stanshall said:

a pretty safe and clean run, not too much risk

it looks crazy and not safe at all but i'll take your word for it! and yeah keep posting, this is great stuff congrats!

i was going to take a break from esp ra.de. but was playing all weekend and tonight, got to the last boss a few more times, once to the last phase it was very close but no cigars. too hyper to sleep now. got a new high score ~10.8m, but i'm sort of ignoring the scoring as survival is enough to get both the score extends. i mean you're supposed to let the majority of the cubes fall off the screen right?

also bit late to this but finally got zero ranger on steam last weekend, id been putting it off because i don't always like the more old school stuff, but yeah it's great fun!

@Stanshall great vids!

Quick question...

How long do you think it takes to get to this level of skill?

I always start bullet hell shooters but give up due to just not feeling like I’m progressing. I rarely make it past stage 2 in credit in a cave shooter (normal difficulty) and that’s after hours of trying. I do wonder if I’m not cut out to play these types of games, as I really struggle to see what’s going on.

5 hours ago, spatular said:

i was going to take a break from esp ra.de. but was playing all weekend and tonight, got to the last boss a few more times, once to the last phase it was very close but no cigars. too hyper to sleep now. got a new high score ~10.8m, but i'm sort of ignoring the scoring as survival is enough to get both the score extends. i mean you're supposed to let the majority of the cubes fall off the screen right?

also bit late to this but finally got zero ranger on steam last weekend, id been putting it off because i don't always like the more old school stuff, but yeah it's great fun!

I'm nowhere near the last boss in ESP. I get to stage 4 and die almost straight away every time. Those straight red lasers dripping down the screen absolutely ruin me. Looking forward to hearing how it goes, TLB seems brutal from credit feeding my way through it!

Also, I would love Zero Ranger to come to Switch. My PC is knackered but this (and Crimzon Clover) always pop back into my head when I wonder if I really need a new one.

42 minutes ago, Goemon said:

@Stanshall great vids!

Quick question...

How long do you think it takes to get to this level of skill?

I always start bullet hell shooters but give up due to just not feeling like I’m progressing. I rarely make it past stage 2 in credit in a cave shooter (normal difficulty) and that’s after hours of trying. I do wonder if I’m not cut out to play these types of games, as I really struggle to see what’s going on.

Thanks! In terms of raw hours, I really wish the 360 had a time counter but I got the game about nine months ago and I've probably put in about 150 hours, realistically. I'd say probably fifty hours in various other modes and eventually getting a clear in Black Label Original (which is the easiest for survival) about six months ago. I stopped playing for a while then and got into Daioujou. A couple of months ago, I went back and started God Mode and I must have put 100 hours in on the first stage since then. That probably sounds insane but I reckon it's about right. Just looking at YT, my PB was 245m two months ago, so that's about right in terms of calendar time.

Aside from that, though, I think the most important thing is finding the right game that makes you want to keep coming back. I absolutely adore DOJ and got really into learning to chain, but it's very very punishing and if you miss one link, you might as well restart. There's not the same fluidity or opportunity to play risky or safe or to adapt when things go awry, like you can in Futari. I also found that it's about setting little goals. 250m. 300m. 350m for the first extend. Get maximum cancel on midboss and stage boss. They're arbitrary numbers but they require a little more understanding and improvement each time, so there's always a concrete challenge to it. You have to engage with the mechanics and stage design to get the most out of the scoring systems. That's the most fun thing to me but I think it's about finding the one you want to stick with and go down the rabbit hole! I love Cave games too but I'm in the same boat. Usually I will die somewhere in stage 2/3. This is no false modesty, but I don't really have any inherent skill or even transferable skill, I just find this one game so much fun that I pounded it until I'm pretty consistent. 

12 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

What are the go to games on the Switch for a novice? I had Ikaruga on the Dreamcast and enjoyed it despite the difficulty, that being said, being able to get further than stage 2 would be nice :) 

Danmaku Unlimited is a brilliant one. 

@Kryptonian

I'd second Danmaku 3 but will also suggest Rolling Gunner. It was the best shmup on the system for me until ESP Ra.De. Psi came out (JPN eShop only). 

It's the closest thing to a Cave game besides, uhh, a Cave game. Horizontal rather than vertical shmup and loads of difficulty options and different modes make it much more accessible than most without being too basic. 

46 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

@Kryptonian

I'd second Danmaku 3 but will also suggest Rolling Gunner. It was the best shmup on the system for me until ESP Ra.De. Psi came out (JPN eShop only). 

It's the closest thing to a Cave game besides, uhh, a Cave game. Horizontal rather than vertical shmup and loads of difficulty options and different modes make it much more accessible than most without being too basic. 

YES! I forgot about this (I could probably do with understanding a bit more about how it plays, to be honest).

13 hours ago, Stanshall said:

TLB

oh! that's interesting, i'm playing arcade mode where you can't practice/credit feed this, although yeah i have played the new mode and seen videos of a TLB but thought it was just for that mode, maybe i need to start playing the new mode to get some practice (edit - watched some youtube and i don't think there is a TLB in arcade mode, or if there is it has requirements maybe). i know what you mean about the start of stage 4, i keep dying trying to get the extra life, plus point is it doesn't really get much harder from there until the last boss.

@Kryptonian

the recommended games are great, i really like rolling gunner and danmaku 3... but would say i think the normal mode in both is pretty hard, so for something novice friendly be prepared to drop the difficulty/play the easy modes. deathsmiles is the "easiest" cave game, but is not out yet.

Deathsmiles was the first bullet-hell type shooter I got into where I wasn't getting killed in the first stage. I certainly don't consider myself in way "good" at these games and certainly not compared to some of the mental videos posted on here but with Deathsmiles I was able to keep trying on one credit without feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere,. The difficult bits are spaced out quite well and you can see where you've just positioned yourself wrong rather than having to learn insane bullet patterns at the same time if that makes sense. I've got it on the 360 and PC but it'll be great to be able to play it on a portable console. Deathsmiles 2 on the other hand...I suppose it'll be better than spending ages fannying about with the arcade machine files only to have it suddenly boot up and have that initial excitement replaced with crushing disappointment. Maybe I didn't give it a fair go but I've never felt inclined to load it up again.

I'd definitely say Crimzon Clover is a good one to start with too, for me it strikes a really good balance between allowing you to feel like you're great at it while still having room for watching replays and wondering how the hell the player is doing it.