Shmups

Dr Seedyman

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

DS2 is also on JP 360 if that’ll tide you over until a new console version?

I'm pretty sure one of the 360s I have will play any region but I really didn't like what I played of it (and I quite like DoDonPachi II for what it is). Maybe I should give it another go but with so many others at the minute it doesn't really feel worth it. I'll certainly not complain about it being included on the Switch though! I suppose it's just unrealistic to wish we'd get SaiDaiOuJou first.

Aquas, on the left, is really great, he runs STG Weekly on YT and he's got a very droll, laidback but informative style which isn't necessarily ideal for GDQ but he did pretty well. Patashu is also really knowledgeable and enthusiastic but probably talked over Aquas a bit too much. He suited the occasion much more though and chat was really getting into his patter. 

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

I can't help but warm to the rightmost commentator of that playthrough. So sweetly enthusiastic :-)

It's hard not to get personal about people, when talking about them, but when my girlfriend came in to see what I was watching, and I described the game and the whole situation... the chap sat on the right side of the camera definitely got a few comments, mostly due to the nerdy excitement and body language (slumped seating position) etc.

Also amusing to say "we" when it was Gus doing playing the game :)

Definitely listening to music. He posted the link somewhere, maybe on his Discord. If you check out his Twitch, he's always listening to different stuff in the background rather than the game audio. Usually EDM or K-pop. Not necessarily the highlight of the streams! :)

This is the last boss music, it's awesome but pretty stressful! 

Following on from Kryptonians "Which for the Switch" can someone please help me choose a shooter as I fancy blasting some stuff up!!

I've already got Ikaruga (day one on Dreamcast don't you know!), Steredenn (ok but didn't really do it for me) and Gunbird which I love and I'm grabbing Danmake 3 as at under £2 on the US store I'd be mad not to.

I've always liked arcady shooters but quite fancy something that's a bit meaty / has some depth to get stuck into without being overly complex if such a thing is out there. If it grabs my attention at first then it maybe getting quite complex in time is fine, so I guess some accessibility in the first instance / something that doesn't just leave me smashed to bits and not having a clue what's going on would be good. 

I have had a good look around I've narrowed it down to pretty much being between Rolling Gunner and Devil Engine and aesthetically I certainly prefer the look of RG. That said from what I can gather they're really quite different with Devil Engine being more traditional (R type and Thunderforce which I loved, both get mentioned) but then again Rolling Gunner also gets mentioned as being suitable for bullet hell beginners. Finally Psyvariar Delta is an certainly an option though it's a tad pricey on the US store ($29 as opposed to $19 on the others) and would mean me buying extra credit though if that's the must have one (any advantage of getting the PS4 version, it's only a few quid more for physical too?) then please say. Pretty sure one of those three will do the job but if I've missed something then feel free to point it out to me :).  

49 minutes ago, womble9 said:

I have had a good look around I've narrowed it down to pretty much being between Rolling Gunner and Devil Engine and aesthetically I certainly prefer the look of RG. That said from what I can gather they're really quite different with Devil Engine being more traditional (R type and Thunderforce which I loved, both get mentioned) but then again Rolling Gunner also gets mentioned as being suitable for bullet hell beginners.

If you've already got Danmaku and Gunbird I'd personally go for Devil Engine next, it's more a traditional shooter (and a seriously good one) than bullet-hell and would give you an opportunity to see which type you prefer. If possible I'd just get them all of course...

@Jashin Spot on. If you mean quality of the port, it's identical to the PS4 version. If you mean quality of the game, I think it's a high quality, polished, accessible, 'modern' shmup. It has unlockable weapons and a shop and challenges and plenty of carrots to keep you coming back. Some of the weapons are interesting. The art style is really unusual and unique, not just within the genre. It's comfortably a top ten shmup on the Switch. I don't personally love it, but I've enjoyed playing through it and dipping in and out. It's a little bit of Cave and a little bit of Psikyo with original presentation. 

@womble9 Devil Engine is a good game, I like a lot about it but it is really hard, even on 'Very Easy' which I took to be a joke. If you like Thunder Force, it's very very similar. I came nowhere near clearing it on one credit. I think eight credits was more like it. That said, I totally agree with @NickyDrinks that it would give you something a bit different. Dan3 is a good call, by the way, especially for that price. That said, Rolling Gunner is more accessible than all of the above, and has a lot more depth to the scoring. Novice Mode is genuinely fun. It's pretty ugly in stills and not much better in motion but it's got it where it counts - gameplay. Psyvariar is really exciting but as a grazing shmup where your best option is often not to shoot anything, it's a slightly strange game and not for everyone. 

Some suggestions not mentioned yet:

Tengai - A horizontal Psikyo game, which is pretty rare and really good. It's basically just like Gunbird but a hori, in fact. Interesting art style, kind of Edo mechs. 

Dragon Blaze - The evolution of Gunbird, basically. It's probably the crowning glory of the Psikyo systems and stage design. You and your dragon attack in tandem and then you fire it off to point blank the boss as you dart around avoiding the patterns. 

Konami Arcade Collection - Kind of cheating because there are eight games here including Gradius 1&2, plus Salamander and Thunder Cross, and Japanese variations, and more. It's often on sale for bugger all. Superb old school compilation. 

Darius Cozmic Collection - A little bit pricier and Japanese eShop only for the moment but I believe it might be coming out over here. Three different versions of both Darius and Darius 2, some markedly different, plus the amazing Darius Gaiden. Beware not to get the Consumer Edition because it only contains the home console ports of the above and several others. It's great but expensive and more for the Darius diehards.

Super Hydorah - Another modern indie inspired by some of the above. Bit of R-Type, bit of Gradius, bit of Darius, it's a very tidy little game which feels classic without the punishment. It's also pretty cheap quite often.

10 hours ago, Stanshall said:

@womble9 Devil Engine is a good game, I like a lot about it but it is really hard, even on 'Very Easy' which I took to be a joke. If you like Thunder Force, it's very very similar. I came nowhere near clearing it on one credit. I think eight credits was more like it. That said, I totally agree with @NickyDrinks that it would give you something a bit different. Dan3 is a good call, by the way, especially for that price. That said, Rolling Gunner is more accessible than all of the above, and has a lot more depth to the scoring. Novice Mode is genuinely fun. It's pretty ugly in stills and not much better in motion but it's got it where it counts - gameplay. Psyvariar is really exciting but as a grazing shmup where your best option is often not to shoot anything, it's a slightly strange game and not for everyone. 

Some suggestions not mentioned yet:

Tengai - A horizontal Psikyo game, which is pretty rare and really good. It's basically just like Gunbird but a hori, in fact. Interesting art style, kind of Edo mechs. 

Dragon Blaze - The evolution of Gunbird, basically. It's probably the crowning glory of the Psikyo systems and stage design. You and your dragon attack in tandem and then you fire it off to point blank the boss as you dart around avoiding the patterns. 

Konami Arcade Collection - Kind of cheating because there are eight games here including Gradius 1&2, plus Salamander and Thunder Cross, and Japanese variations, and more. It's often on sale for bugger all. Superb old school compilation. 

Darius Cozmic Collection - A little bit pricier and Japanese eShop only for the moment but I believe it might be coming out over here. Three different versions of both Darius and Darius 2, some markedly different, plus the amazing Darius Gaiden. Beware not to get the Consumer Edition because it only contains the home console ports of the above and several others. It's great but expensive and more for the Darius diehards.

Super Hydorah - Another modern indie inspired by some of the above. Bit of R-Type, bit of Gradius, bit of Darius, it's a very tidy little game which feels classic without the punishment. It's also pretty cheap quite often.

Thanks for the detailed reply :).

I wasn't aware of either Tengai or Dragon Blaze and Dragon Blaze in particular looks like something I'd enjoy so with the help of some cheap UK credit that I got it's hopped aboard my list and whilst I might not like the look of Tengai (I've never really liked me being a character based me / enemies and much prefer space ships though organic stuff is fine too, yup I'm odd!) it gets spoken of very highly and there's no doubting Psikyo credentials so that's getting snapped up too!. 

Of the others that you mention, I've played Gradius / Salamander / VV to death (not to mention Gaiden / Gradius V) as  they were by far my favorite arcade games as a youth / teen with me often travelling from across Leeds to Wakefield to play them at an arcade there, and when I was working I scoured Worlds Fair paper, bought the PCBs and had a cabinet for them in my bedroom. Even had Xexex too!! I've still got a MAME based cabinet so for me they get played on that :).

I've never really been into Darius (seemingly I don't like people OR fishes in games!!) and Super Hydorah, hmm, well I very excitedly bought that on PS4 at launch and it too didn't do it for me. A real shame because as you say it looks very much of the R-Type / Gradius ilk and I was rather excited about it. I think the least I can do is give it another chance as again it's spoken of highly and perhaps I was having an off day!! 

So, back onto my main buy! Well I'm still undecided as to whether to go for Rolling Gunner or Devil Engine. They both really appeal / come highly recommended yet I can't help but feel that they're different enough that if I like one I may loath the other. Neither are on sale though so it's not as if I'm going to miss out on saving a good chunk of potentially Dragon Blaze or Tengai funding cash so I'll take a bit more time / read up a bit more............and then likely toss a coin!!

Oh and is it just me or would a tate enabled Layer Section be superb on the Switch :)?  

2 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Is there a guide to all the modes and unlocks in ESP RADE?

i don't know about a proper guide but here's a basic overview:

- arcade and easy mode are self explanatory,

- arcade mode has two practice modes, one lets you pick any stage/part stage to play, the other records where you die and lets you play short sections of the game based on that.

- arcade plus is a slightly modified version of the arcade game - i think you play through it once to unlock a new character, iirc there's reduced boss milking, and an extra boss (which i don't think is in arcade mode but not sure, maybe there just aren't any requirements to unlock it in arcade plus?)

- custom lets you mess with more settings apparently - i've not really tried this

- there's another mode which i haven't played much which is something to do with the characters having a room, and there's some gameplay sections like challenges in there too, think there are unlocks in here for doing the challenges.

ESP RaDe is absolutely incredible even if I have no idea how to properly type it. For a game in a genre I only get sucked into very irregularly to draw me in like this is very rare indeed, it’s 15 years ago and I’m playing Ikaruga (my first ever import game!) on the squarest console of all time once again. Magic. 

I’ve spent all week unable to crack 2m then my last go tonight I die early twice, engage The Force and go 2.85m instead. If I ever get round to properly understanding how the scoring actually works I might get serious with this.

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the main eShop thread, but if you're a bit amateur at bullet hells like me then I can really recommend Angerforce Reloaded on Switch at easing you into its systems.

Put it on last night to try it for 5 minutes and ended up on it for a few hours.

Cracking game that starts you off fairly simply, and is only £5.66 at the moment.

I used the big blue robot dude (Asimo?) the most. There's some roguelike elements too (you earn money to upgrade your ship/characters), and the whole setup really suits me as someone fairly new to these kinds of things. Not mad keen on the graphical style but it works well enough, and all the bullets are clear. I never blamed the game when I got hit.

There is a Tate mode I think - it's not in the options weirdly but when you pause the game there's a "rotate 90 degrees" option???? Will try it with my Flipgrip at some point.

Fab game, would recomend if you're fairly new to these things. Looks to be on Steam too.

I was up far too late last night watching replays on Battle Garegga, with the top one in Premium mode not only can I not understand how they're avoiding those bullets but the strategy seems to make no sense in places. I know you can die on purpose to bring down the difficulty rank but some of the other moves like leaving an enemy alive for a specific amount of time are way beyond any level I'm playing at. I've a screen that fully rotates in the boot of my car for an install job in work, I might "test" one of them out again so I can play all the games in tate mode. I'm still considering just laying the 37" screen I have in the spare room up on it's end against the wall permanently even though it'd look a bit silly and would be the 4th screen in my gaming room.

This article is really interesting too, a bit out of date since M2 have obviously overcome some of the problems with the Switch but I wonder if Armed Police Batrider might also be coming to the PS4 since they already had it working albeit not at full speed (that's one game that I'm slowly getting better with after playing a lot of Garegga, Ibara can fuck right off though!)  With Windows 7 mostly out of the picture now I hope we might finally see some Steam releases as well, keeping the STG ports import only and locked to certain platforms can't be doing their sales figures any favours and they deserve so much success.   https://www.siliconera.com/m2-discusses-most-highly-requested-ports-why-they-havent-released-on-steam-and-more/