IGNORED

Shmups

Dr Seedyman

Someone really ought to take alistarr up on that offer. It's a real bargain - you won't find it that cheap anywhere, now - and it's not only one of Cave's strongest but one of the best shmups ever, IMO. (It's great for anyone who may have bounced off some of Cave's other scoring systems, too - Futari's is relatively simple, forgiving and compelling, and you won't have a hugely stunted experience if you choose to ignore it.)

Edit: ah that's beautiful, Stanshall! Really glad you've got a setup you're happy with. :D

2 hours ago, Jashin said:

I’m not actually too keen on either game on PS4. I find the player movement in Jamestown slightly too slow for the wide play area. Essentially, it’s just not as good as the (Cave) games that it’s obviously influenced by. Looks pretty though. However, given the option, I’d play it over Raiden, which is exactly as dull as it looks, with the added bonus of unskippable and terrible dialogue. 

Thanks for the advice, will perhaps stick with playing through the recently acquired konami arcade classics and also revisiting dragonblaze for now.

3 hours ago, Jashin said:

I’m not actually too keen on either game on PS4. I find the player movement in Jamestown slightly too slow for the wide play area. Essentially, it’s just not as good as the (Cave) games that it’s obviously influenced by. Looks pretty though. However, given the option, I’d play it over Raiden, which is exactly as dull as it looks, with the added bonus of unskippable and terrible dialogue. 

i never quite knew why I found Jamestown awkward but I think you're exactly right -- it's like they wanted to make a widescreen Cave shmup and they succeeded, only to demonstrate that you can get everything else right but the game style still actually works best with a narrow playing field.

The game is still interesting though, especially if it's cheap. The core mechanic of burning the shield to score makes it really fun for a mediocre player like me to try and high score the first level repeatedly. Similar to death smiles in some respects.

On 26/07/2020 at 20:25, Klatrymadon said:

Someone really ought to take alistarr up on that offer. It's a real bargain - you won't find it that cheap anywhere, now - and it's not only one of Cave's strongest but one of the best shmups ever, IMO. (It's great for anyone who may have bounced off some of Cave's other scoring systems, too - Futari's is relatively simple, forgiving and compelling, and you won't have a hugely stunted experience if you choose to ignore it.)

Edit: ah that's beautiful, Stanshall! Really glad you've got a setup you're happy with. :D

In the interests of avoiding multiple post office trips I can post this tomorrow if anyone wants it for £35. Sorry for spamming and I promise I won't do it again! (EDIT: now sold)

On 26/07/2020 at 20:25, Klatrymadon said:

Cheers! I ended up up making one last tweak with the LS-62-01 and the Kowal short throw mods you'd recommended elsewhere. Absolutely superb, so responsive and felt perfect straight away in this set-up. Right back into Futari again off the back of this, I feel much more consistent and clean. 

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/rs34-announces-shoot-em-up-illmatic-envelope-s

https://rs34.co.jp/product/illvelos/

RS34, the remains of developer Milestone who folded in 2013 (After the director was arrested for fraud) and were behind Radirgy, Karous – The Beast of Re: Eden, and Illmatic Envelope Dillinjah, has announced Illmatic Envelope S, a “down in the swamp shoot ’em up game” due out in 2020 in Japan.

No news on systems but their last project was on Switch and an update is due on the official website on August the 15th.

Put up a somewhat rare shmup for the AES in the trading folder in case anyone here might be interested. I'm a bit of a romanticist so prefer a player/ hardcore shmup fan getting it over a collector.  

Mods pls delete this post if found inappropriate or against the rules. 

I'm also totally buzzing to have beaten iconoclast's score

Haha! The student has become the master! Excellent work.

I imagine everyone already has these but there are a few shmups on sale on humble at the minute, steam keys included. More games there if you want to have a sniff around.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/eschatos
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/mushihimesama
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/deathsmiles
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dodonpachi-resurrection
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/crimzon-clover-world-ignition
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/jamestown-plus
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/assault-android-cactus (twin stick shooter)

6 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Haha! The student has become the master! Excellent work.

Yep. On one stage of one game by a margin of several hundred points, compared to an outdated video from years ago, of that there is no doubt. 

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

:DWho would you like to play you in the film?

Still think you're a bloody mad man. You gonna turn it down to maniac or plough on?

I look and sound like this if you squint, so hopefully he's available:

Spoiler

QD5Mw370kCCmfMbKD0ipCCETzmQ6SA0uPS4QZYMu

Defo going to press on with God Mode. I can pretty regularly NMNB the stages in training mode (except stage 3), because it's so generous with the cancels, but I'm totally hopeless at the midbosses and bosses. I don't have the micro dodging skills or any idea about routes or patterns. Even bombing my way through I run out of resources. I'm going to get stuck into learning the stage 2 boss, though. If I can consistently NMNB to stage 3 and fluke my way through that, I reckon I might have a chance. Stages 4 and 5 aren't actually that bad (again, disregarding the bosses). 

To be honest, Maniac isn't that different. Stages are OK but the bosses need properly learning. 

Playing the konami arcade classics pack on switch. Great fun but can't believe how hard the games were, the c lack of rapid autofire and the primary and secondary weapons being on separate buttons was crippling me till I worked out here were remapping and autofire options in the menu. Much more playable now.

7 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Playing the konami arcade classics pack on switch. Great fun but can't believe how hard the faces were, the c lack of rapid autofire and the primary and c secondary wrappings being on separate buttons was crippling me till I worked out here were remapping and autofire options in the menu. Much more playable now.

Have this on the PS4 love the little electronic document you get with this detailing the designs of the various games. Great touch. The Gradius series is my favourite shooter series. Prefer Salamander to the version in this collection (Life Force) the speech and colours are just wrong IMHO :) Salamander of course is available as a separate download to buy. Which I have :)

22 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Have this on the PS4 love the little electronic document you get with this detailing the designs of the various games. Great touch. The Gradius series is my favourite shooter series. Prefer Salamander to the version in this collection (Life Force) the speech and colours are just wrong IMHO :) Salamander of course is available as a separate download to buy. Which I have :)

Presumably too late now but if you go to Bonus JP Versions on the main menu, you'll find Salamander there in place of Life Force. That's on the Switch version, anyway. 

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

Presumably too late now but if you go to Bonus JP Versions on the main menu, you'll find Salamander there in place of Life Force. That's on the Switch version, anyway. 

:) Great hint for other buyers! I'll have look later. Save me booting up the standalone version I guess!

'In June 2019, Konami added for free the Japanese versions of the respective games on the western Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection.[27] Only the Salamanderversion can be played in this addition, as the Japanese Life Force is not part of the compilation. Conversely, the American version of Life Force was added to the collection in Japan in that same update"

Looks like the PS4 Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection was patched to include Salamander back in June 2019 yay!

Weeee, this is so much fun. Zakesta - https://zakichi.ojaru.jp/menutml.html

New one stage demo from the vastynex/kaikan guy.

He does lo-fi graphics so well. Press return to go fullscreen. Your score to beat is 421,380

Been playing quite a bit of the updated firelancer demo too. You can really tell when you're playing a shmup made by someone who loves playing the genre. You really have to work for every point in this, manically flying all round the screen like a mad fool. Soooo good. Can't wait for the finished version! 4,950,786 in heavy mode if you want a score to widdle on in that.

Oh, and I played dragon blaze too, that came out on steam the other day. I forgot how good it is!

Oh, and I beat my score in zeroranger! I forgot! 1,059,005, rank A.

Zero Strain, anyone?

Zero Strain is a fast-paced shooter set in a series of top-down arenas, where strategic use of offense and defense are critical to surviving each challenge. MOBA elements are mixed with frenetic shoot’em up action for a unique and rewarding experience in neon wireframe presentation.

Each of the “constructs” you pilot offers a different array of armaments that are charged by the damage you deal, allowing you to deploy more powerful abilities against the strongest foes! Strategize on the fly to take down enemy waves and reach uncharted dimensions!

• Balance offense and defense in MOBA-inspired combat!
  • Pilot a variety of ships, each with 3 unique weapons and a passive ability.
  • Charge weapons faster by dealing damage efficiently.
  • Evade enemy bullets as they fill the screen in shoot’em up style.
  • Observe and react strategically against challenging bosses!

Out Wednesday for PS4, Switch, Xbox One: https://www.eastasiasoft.com/games/Zero-Strain

I Tried it when it came out on pc last year but I wasn't feeling it at all.
Shame because the pre-launch STG weekly made it look fun.
I can't remember why I didn't click with it. Sorry I can't be more help :(

There are only 15 reviews on the steam page, and 6 of them received the game for free to review it, so it doesn't look like it did gangbusters, but they're all positive, for what it's worth.

In a bit of a hurry, I'd like to spend more time on this, simms, but here are a couple of quick recommendations.

Neko Navy easy mode should be a good in.

Blue Wish Resurrection plus is free. Always a great place to start. You'll teach yourself all of the bullet hell fundamentals and have great fun doing it.

Super XYX is out! Probably won't get a chance to try it until late tonight, but I'll report back if I do - https://store.steampowered.com/app/654500/Super_XYX/