IGNORED

Merlin

SeanR

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, this season has been rather good, hasn't it? Will be very sorry when it comes to an end next week (though a third season has been commissioned, thankfully). A couple of pretty dark episodes in a row, and the finale looks like it's going to be a cracker. I've got to say, John Hurt does a lot with very little. The dragon's actually quite menacing these days.

Yeah, it really seems to have stepped up a level in the last couple of weeks, rather than having everything revert back to normal at the end.

Looking forward to the finale next week.

They've been riffing on LOTR for the past few weeks: the Ringwrai... sorry, "knights", and the vision of the Shire... sorry, Camelot, burning in the Mirror of Galadr... whoops, I mean the Crystal thing.

So I expect to see Merlin's version of Helm's Deep next week. :)

Yup. This is always something of a guilty pleasure, but there have been some really good episodes moving the arc along, like yesterday's. It looks like the dragon will be after revenge next week, in what looks like a brilliant episode.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot to watch the finalé, but I caught up with it today. It was really good too, and for the most part was a lot more character led than I expected. My only small complaint is that it's getting a little too convenient for Merlin to use magic without anyone noticing, and I think this needs to change in the third series.

I almost forgot to watch the finalé, but I caught up with it today. It was really good too, and for the most part was a lot more character led than I expected. My only small complaint is that it's getting a little too convenient for Merlin to use magic without anyone noticing, and I think this needs to change in the third series.

Particulary when the dargon's in the middle of the castle bellowing about him using magic :)

Reminds me of Smallville where everyone would get conveniately knocked out before Clark unleashes his super powers.

• 8 months later...

Loved it. This is a great show now. Proper epic. All it needs is for Arthur to stop being an idiot and work out Merlin's secret. Then I reckon the programme will be knocked into the stratosphere.

A couple of really effective scares in the latest ep, I thought. Proper dark for kids, this.

It was a fantastic start to the series, that's for sure. The trailer looked great too.

I wonder if:

Katie McGrath's being written out. She was woefully underused for ages, and only now is coming into her own. Then again, Morgana is like the uber-villain in most versions of Merlin, right? She's impossibly gorgeous, btw.

Well the second part of Merlin was rather good. I was incredibly impressed by what they managed to do with a TV shows budget!

The only, predictable, downside was that ciimax, where despite the entire kingdon being at stake Merlin still refuses to reveal magic, even just to his one enemy, and only uses it (despite nearly dying several times) when her heads turned. :fp:

Oh an next week's trailer looks shit. Farting goblins ha de ha.

Well the second part of Merlin was rather good. I was incredibly impressed by what they managed to do with a TV shows budget!

The only, predictable, downside was that ciimax, where despite the entire kingdon being at stake Merlin still refuses to reveal magic, even just to his one enemy, and only uses it (despite nearly dying several times) when her heads turned. :fp:

Oh an next week's trailer looks shit. Farting goblins ha de ha.

Not written by Rtd is it?

• 1 month later...

Have people carried on watching this? I've blitzed through this new series over the weekend and come away very impressed for the most part. The opening two parter was very good indeed, it looks like they've spent a bit more money on the dragon this year doesn't it. Gwaine was probably the next best episode, I do like the ones where they set up characters you just know are going to be back as part of the Knights of the Round Table later.

We're seven episodes in and just over halfway to the 13ep total now and while we've seen lots of Morgana looking all evil and gorgeous I have, once again, been disappointed that Merlin hasn't stepped forward a bit more. The old hide in the corner and perform a little magic trick is really growing old now. The good news is that the show has already been greenlit for a 4th series (only 10 episodes though) and one of the producers had this to say.

We are both delighted with the continuing success of Merlin, and relish the chance to take the series to the next level with the long-awaited arrival of the Knights of the Round Table. Link

Now I don't know what that could mean for Merlin and Arthur's relationship but at this stage nearly any progress is good news!

This show is a proper guilty pleasure for me, but they really need to stop hitting reset at the end of EVERY episode.

Here’s my Merlin drinking game:

“We can’t tell Uther” – one shot

Morgana evil smile that nobody else sees – one shot

Arthur alludes to Merlin being useless – one shot

Gaius says “We can’t tell Uther” – two shots

Morgana sneaks off at night time – one shot

Somebody in Camelot is bewitched by an outside force – one shot

Gaius says “I’ve told you, we can’t tell Uther” – three shots

Someone gets knocked out at the end so misses Merlin doing magic – head shot

She doesn't even know Merlin's magic does she?

At the end of the second episode, when he's trying to stop her KILLING EVERYONE, he just flails about uselessly hiding (while people are dying) until she's conveniently knocked out by a passing plot device and he can do something.