The Office (US)

Ryan

Are they not cancelling the show at the end of this season?

This season feels like they've run out of ideas for office based storylines now as much of the show has been dealing with stuff outside of the building and the day to day runnings of it. Take the last two episodes for instance, one with Michael wondering the streets like someone suffering from dementia, and this weeks about his movie, which if I'm honest, should have just stayed as the script we'd already seen.

I'm currently watching the show from the start again (Up to season 3 so far) and I much more prefer the show when it's stories come from company/business based ideas.

If Michael goes out happy with Holly, it's a bit of a cop-out to me.

It seems to send a message that the only thing wrong with Michael was that he hadn't found the right woman, when in fact it was a fairly epic personality disorder.

I'm intrigued by the suggestions of Rhys Darby or Will Arnett to appear next series.

Opinions will probably vary quite a bit.

I thought seasons 2-4 were almost all excellent, with a real heart to the show (as you say), and 5 had some great episodes but they kinda lost it near the end. I see people still like the new seasons so maybe you'll like them too. But the season 6 atmosphere seemed too wierd and zany, and most jokes fell flat so I gave up near the start. Maybe the end of S3 changed everything but there were still good episodes after that so, I dunno...

The character work and casting is amazing, each of the regulars really bring their own thing to the environment. It's got to the point where I can just enjoy them doing their thing every week even if there are only a couple of LOLS each episode. I normally would encourage shows to end after a few seasons but even without Michael I think there would still be great potential, as long as they don't just find a 'replacement character'.

the guy that is completely normal but gets treated like crap by Michael makes me feel sorry for him but laugh so much

Tony, I think he's my favourite character just for his relationship with Michael. He just has the perfect face for that part and acts it flawlessly, his bit in last weeks show when he's in Michaels Movie is genius. He doesn't even say anything and then the expression on Michael. Good stuff.

I stopped watching this around the wedding/pregnancy period. Saw a few episodes this weekend, and was massively underwhelmed, sort feels a bit like they just turned some of the characters into near parodies. Still has some laughs though.

I think Kevin might be my favourite character. That sub-plot in Amy Ryan's first episode where Dwight convinces her that Kevin has learning difficulties is so good. Kevin's behaviour is no more exaggerated in that episode than it is in any other episode, but he sells the joke perfectly. And that gag (I forget the episode) where he's accused of doing something bad, and he says it couldn't have been him because he was "looking at pictures of food on the internet". :lol:

• 2 months later...

Hopefully they give it to

the Nard Dog.

Going by her interview Tate's character would have no chance whatsoever, but then they drop those bits about her knowing Jo in there. Why would they come up with that fact only to throw it away again? I'm worried.

All of the outsider interviews suggested that the search committee are completely inept to have let such obvious idiots take an interview. On that basis, I hope the job goes to the black guy who was shown for a few seconds, he seems management type.

I've finally started watching this as Virgin Media have it on their VOD service. Up to ep 4 of Season 2 now, and I'm loving it so far. Carrell's brilliant, Dwight is even better than Gareth from the UK version, and the writing's sharp as nails. Will be carrying on.

• 2 months later...

And... done.

Okay, so it's not as consistently brilliant as it was in the halcyon days of Seasons 2 and 3, but overall it's one of the best comedy series I've ever watched. I was tearing up all over the place at Michael's proposal and his final scene.

Random highlights:

- The deposition

- Michael and Jan's dinner party

- The fire drill

- The Michael Scott Paper Company

- Andy punching the wall

- "The Injury"

- Pretty much anything Dwight does

- Darryl

- Creed

Hey, I even grew to like Andy. I'll be tuning in next season to see what happens with James Spader, though I hope he's not the focal point. The misstep in Season Seven was arguably Will Ferrell. I was really looking forward to his appearance, but I didn't think his character worked very well at all.

People know who the next boss is right:

James Spader

It was announced a while back.

Exactly why I won't be tuning in for season 8. Introducing a new character to the show after 8 years is a fucking awful move. Just make Dwight manager or wrap up the show.

People know who the next boss is right:

James Spader

It was announced a while back.

They announced he was joining the cast, not becoming the "the next boss".

From an interview with Jenna Fischer:

JF: I’m mentioning it because the manager is going to be someone else. I’m just saying that because people have been confused because they think that James Spader is going to be the new manager of the office.

I think the intention is going to be that whoever ends up taking over as manager, the show is not going to be as structured around the manager position. It is going to be more of an ensemble show where someone happens to be the manager

Oh thank fuck for that. I did not want to see Spaders smug face every week - no matter how much I love this show (which is a megafuckton, by the way). You just know he'll roll out the same character traits he did in Seinfeld and every other comedy he's ever acted in. Literally the only thing I ever liked him in was Stargate.

Anyway, I reckon Dwight as manager would be hilarious for a few episodes. I can't see it being very funny for a whole season, though.

However, with all that said, I guess I just want more Megadesk.

Anyway, I reckon Dwight as manager would be hilarious for a few episodes. I can't see it being very funny for a whole season, though.

He was acting manager for a couple of episodes which is when he fired the gun etc. and was swiftly demoted. I reckon they're done with that.

I only recently embarked upon watchingthis show and I absolutely love it. Currently I'm on episode 19 of Season 6. But at the rate I'm watching it, I'll be ready for Season 8.

I know about Carell leaving so unfortunately that's spoilt for me but I don't really know how I feel about the show carrying on without him. I believe they have a good enough cast of characters to keep it running but they are losing the main character and if history is anything to go by once you lose the main character the show usually last only 1 more series or becomes shit (X Files, Scrubs and That 70s Show jumps to mind)

• 1 month later...