The Office (US)

Ryan

BUMP

We don't usually discuss this show so instead of making season 5 thread I thought I would just bump this one. Anyway, the latest episode, 13 of season 5 is an special and it's full of brilliance. One of the best episodes yet.

I thought there was a season 5 thread.

I've only recently started watching the show, but I've caught up to about episode 7 of season 5 now. I'm dreading getting up to episode 13, the idea of not watching four episodes a day is too daunting.

It's a bloody great show that's took some really good directions.

ICE CREAM SANDWICH!

Yep, I just watched season 1 to the current episode in about 10 days.

1 was a bit crap, mainly because of all the reused jokes. 2 and 3 were great but from there it's just gone a bit crazy :) Tad over the top!

Still watchable and very funny at times though.

Just watched the opening of last nights ep. OMG that was without a doubt the best scene in the shows history. :) It was just fucking genius.

Also, the rest of the cast have been added to the opening credits. :( About damn time.

http://i40.tinypic.com/16jh6vn.gif

http://i43.tinypic.com/24lugbb.gif

You could make a hundred gifs out of that opening 6 minutes. :) It was absolutely superb. The rest of it was pretty good too. I do wish Jim & Pam would fuck off for a while, though. They just get in the way of the funny.

It was fantastic except for the Jack Black/Jessica Alba movie thing. I don't know what they were thinking when they put those scenes in. It doesn't even work in the context of the show - why would the film crew be recording people watching a pirated preview of an unreleased movie?

Jessica Alba? I didn't recognise her...

But anyway yeah, stunning episode, the intro was just amazing!! :D

It was fantastic except for the Jack Black/Jessica Alba movie thing. I don't know what they were thinking when they put those scenes in. It doesn't even work in the context of the show - why would the film crew be recording people watching a pirated preview of an unreleased movie?

You could level that at a LOT of the content in the show. It went way beyond the realism of fly-on-the-wall documentary ages ago, but that's not been a bad thing.

Just watched the opening of last nights ep. OMG that was without a doubt the best scene in the shows history. :D It was just fucking genius.

Also, the rest of the cast have been added to the opening credits. :lol: About damn time.

http://i40.tinypic.com/16jh6vn.gif

http://i43.tinypic.com/24lugbb.gif

You could make a hundred gifs out of that opening 6 minutes. :) It was absolutely superb. The rest of it was pretty good too. I do wish Jim & Pam would fuck off for a while, though. They just get in the way of the funny.

Oh man, I was hopingto find gifslike that here :)

I was literally in tears ;)

"The fire is shooting bullets at us!"

Uh huh. Those bits were crap, otherwise it was a classic episode.

"I must call Youtube and get them to come down and film it"

It was a funny episode but a bit all over the place. It seemed like they threw together a load of ideas to make one episode but it didn't really work as a cohesive whole. It did seem rather OTT, even for a regular episode of The Office and didn't have that short story flow that normal episodes have. I think they were trying to get in as many jokes and pop-culture references as they could to get the non-regular Superbowl audience watching and possibly convert them into regular viewers.

That was a pure winner of an episode.

The Jack Black part was odd, and to make it even weirder, watching it on my MacBook Pro just looked strange as I was watching a show through a show and getting a sort of odd tunnel effect.

The episode contained one of the best staple gags that just seems to work in any instance with any actors in any country: The old drive forward instead of reverse gag (can also be switched to the drive backwards instead of forwards).

It was a funny episode but a bit all over the place. It seemed like they threw together a load of ideas to make one episode but it didn't really work as a cohesive whole.

I think that's a good way of summing up the past couple seasons of The Office. I love the show and I'm happy with the way it is, but every episode has a completely different feel to the one before it, as though they let each writer and director do whatever he or she wants providing it's funny and true to the characters. The Superbowl episode, the Stephen Merchant episode with Pam and Jim on the bluetooth headsets, and the episode with Michael's dinner party might as well be from different television shows.

But it brings the funny and has the best cast of characters on TV, so it's really more of an observation than a complaint.

I was really hoping they would do something more emotional during the live blasting of michael/carrell. Either him breaking down in tears (in a realistic way ala Brent when being told he was being made reduntant) or...Toby going up and really opening up his heart and defending him.

I love what they have done with michael and toby

I was really hoping they would do something more emotional during the live blasting of michael/carrell. Either him breaking down in tears (in a realistic way ala Brent when being told he was being made reduntant) or...Toby going up and really opening up his heart and defending him.

I love what they have done with michael and toby

No thanks, american sitcoms rely on the oh-let's-shoehorn-in-some-emotional-garbage-in the-last-third mechanic far too often as it is.

I'm looking at you, Scrubs.

• 1 month later...

Just going-through S4 (seen 12 episodes), and it has become really tired, and isn't even particularly funny. How they turned Jan completely into a worthless character was sad, and the Pam & Jim stuff ceased to be interesting back in S3 - maybe they should have taken a leaf out of the UK's book and only shown them get together in the last ever episode, so we didn't have to put-up with the knowing looks and stuff from them.

And Michael seems to have done a Homer Simpson, in that all they seem to have done is made him dumber for the purpose of some 'jokes'. And it's completely thrown away the original premise of being a docu-soap (though that happened back in S2, to be fair), but it's now just stupid.

I'll catch-up to the current episodes soon, and it seems I have some good stuff still to come, at least.