Oasis

Stanley

Yep, if you put the "B-Tracks" from some might say, wonderwall and Don't look back in anger you would possible have the best oasis album out there:

Talk tonight

acquiesce

Headshrinker

round our way

Swamp song

Master plan

Step out

Cum on feel the noise

They did!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Masterplan

I wasnt a big fan of them either but that was a great album.

I look forward to a solo Noel album as I think they were always at their best when the tempo was knocked down a bit and Noel took lead vocal.

I was sure this thread had been bumped for chat on Noel's new single that sounds nothing like The Importance Of Being Idle, nosiree.

No bad thing, as The Importance Of Being Idle was probably the best song Oasis did after 1997, for the reasons Syntax mentioned. (Dead End Street helped, too.)

Sorry for digging up an old thread.

I've hated Oasis for many year thinking that they went shit years ago and to be fair I still feel the same way.

However my parents have been cleaning their house over the weekend and have given me a number CDs including a load of Oasis singles.

Anyone remember Oasis 4 song singles back in the 90s????

Well I tell you what they had some cracking songs back then.

I've spent the night getting pissed and reminiscing.

Rockin' Chair, Acquiesce, The Masterplan, Talk Tonight, etc!!!

Great stuff. Shame the went shite.

Aye, back in the days when Noel thought he could write great songs every day.

I have an Oasis B sides playlist with all those tracks on it plus Whatever, It's good to be free, Half the World away, It's better people as well as an acoustic version of Up in the Sky. Everytime i listen to it, it's like Summer '95 all over again. Happy days.

I've got to admit, i got really sick of Liams annoying and exaggerated whine, especially live. Would rather listen to Noel.

• 5 years later...

Watched the new film, Supersonic, today. Just brilliant. I reckon anyone would enjoy this whether they like the band or not, the personalities are just so ridiculous and hilarious and the music has stood up surprisingly well. It's one of those great rock fairy tales where you know the ending, but wish it had somehow turned out differently. The film ends before the horrible comedown of the third album so what you're getting is peak Liam and Noel, top of their game, writ totally large.

The rise and implosion of this band was incredible, looking back. You all know the story, but what was really illuminating to me in the film were the moments of intense clarity from Liam where he said some really insightful and, well, artistic things about lyrics and the direction of the band. It's almost like he's permanently on a laddish trip, but occasionally has moments of lucidity and reveals something sensitive and then immediately works to shut that side of him down. I reckon there's more to him than he lets on.

It's easy to be dismissive of Oasis now and it's rare to find anyone who'd describe themselves as a massive Oasis fan, but this film (and a particularly poignant segment voiced by Noel toward the end) reminded me of how great and important those first two albums were, and how huge the fanbase and culture around the band was. It also crippled me with nostalgia  for both Oasis and guitar music in general.

Be Here Now is an overproduced, bloated mess of an album, but there's certainly something in there if they'd laid off the coke a little more and maybe taken a step away for a year after Knebworth. Oasis are my favourite band, warts and all, but seven minutes for D'you know what I mean is madness. 

The film is amazing for a fan, properly and completely brilliant. I'd imagine there's a lot to be found for non-fans too. God knows how they got some of the footage in there. 

Best bit in the doc is the story about Bonehead poking his head around the door into Noel's room, and Noel saying "here have a listen to this" and playing him Live Forever, and Bonehead responding "Fuck off did you just write that". "Yeah, I did". "Fuck off".

It definitely makes me want to revisit all their stuff. They were my favourite band for a time, and I was at the Earl's Court gig they did the week Wonderwall was released. I looked at the track listing for their post Be Here Now albums, when my interest had tailed off somewhat, and there are some brilliant songs on each (apart from Dig Out Your Soul, which I don't know at all). I tend to agree that Be Here Now is the duffer.

What was amazing at the time was the middling reviews that Morning Glory got. I'll never forget the 3 stars from Q. Then it became one of the biggest rock albums of all time. I guess reviewers were down on the big stadium rock sound after the rawness of Definitely Maybe.

Most have probably seen this already, but it's always worth revisiting, if only for 11:39 ("Is that a man with legs made of sausages? That's not real!") and 13:30 (utter despair at the realisation that the next track is Sunday Morning Call). :D

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I was unfortunate to be listening to Radio 2 the other day and they played (I presume) Noel Gallagher's latest song.

God, it was possibly one of the most turgid, middle of the road, pieces of shite I've heard in a long time. It was a million miles away from the swagger of Rock And Roll Star, instead it had female backing vocalists going "oooh" and "aaah" while Noel regurgitated the same old guff about "cast no shadow".

It sounded like the sort of wine-bar wankery smooth pop that the Style Council did. You know, the period that Paul Weller is desperate for the world to forget about.

Awful.

I mean this is entertaining but perhaps not for the intended reasons.

On topic: It's been said numerous times but the b-sides Oasis were putting out during the first 2 albums should have been Be Here Now. Some of their best work.

This reminds me of my college days, the whole "who'll be No. 1? Blur or Oasis" thing.*

Christ, dark times. I was listening to amazing music and these dirgemasters were everywhere.

*That said, Roll With It is a bit of a lame track, where Country House is utterly abhorrent.

20 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Fuck me, that is awful. But still a million times better than anything the gormless, homophobic Gallagher goons have done.

Sure thing buddy. At least you're not letting them get to you.

1 hour ago, p1nseeker said:

Is that worse though than for example Jagger in his 70's still trying to belt out rock songs like a 20 year old?

He still can that’s the thing, sure they look a bit rough around the edges but they sound incredible live. 

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

The only thing that “gets to me” is the amount of attention these dullards got from the music press when, as @Festoonsays there was so much good music around at that time.

The weirdest thing listening to Chart Music is that the public seemed to have agreed, looking at the charts, but the papers, radio and the teevee just kept shoving these cunts in our faces.

On 27/05/2021 at 11:51, gone fishin' said:

I was unfortunate to be listening to Radio 2 the other day and they played (I presume) Noel Gallagher's latest song.

God, it was possibly one of the most turgid, middle of the road, pieces of shite I've heard in a long time. It was a million miles away from the swagger of Rock And Roll Star, instead it had female backing vocalists going "oooh" and "aaah" while Noel regurgitated the same old guff about "cast no shadow".

It sounded like the sort of wine-bar wankery smooth pop that the Style Council did. You know, the period that Paul Weller is desperate for the world to forget about.

Awful.

I haven’t heard Noel Gallagher’s new single, but this sounds like an accurate description.

But it is wrong about the Style Council in every possible way.

I think a lot of the anti-Oasis thing is a "look how brilliant and varied my taste in music is, I'd never listen to that." Growing up Oasis were my favourite band in the world. They wrote great tunes that were aspirational and they were fucking great live. They had great big songs, they had great quiet songs, and they were funny lads from nothing that became the biggest thing in the entire world. 

I've moved on a fair bit in my tastes now and don't listen to a huge amount of Oasis these days. But whenever they come up in conversation you get these people who are just enraged. Maybe they were difficult to ignore in the 90's but these days? Just go and listen to something else. I've not heard anything Noel's done for about five years, they're incredibly easy to ignore in 2021. 

2 hours ago, BitterToad said:

I think a lot of the anti-Oasis thing is a "look how brilliant and varied my taste in music is, I'd never listen to that." Growing up Oasis were my favourite band in the world. They wrote great tunes that were aspirational and they were fucking great live. They had great big songs, they had great quiet songs, and they were funny lads from nothing that became the biggest thing in the entire world. 

I've moved on a fair bit in my tastes now and don't listen to a huge amount of Oasis these days. But whenever they come up in conversation you get these people who are just enraged. Maybe they were difficult to ignore in the 90's but these days? Just go and listen to something else. I've not heard anything Noel's done for about five years, they're incredibly easy to ignore in 2021. 

This contains my least favourite myth - lads from nothing. They lived on a pleasant, leafy estate. They weren't remotely 'lads from nothing' - that was a newspaper fiction of 'the working class' when there wqs loads of music being made by the actual working class at the time and it was varied and exciting and interesting as opposed to being some weird nostalgic throwback to the 60s. All that music was aspirational or angry and looking to the future. Oasis were always, always about the past and looking back. Bit of an old forerunner of the Brexit mentality in Cool Britannia, I think - Remember when we woz great?

They also were nasty judgemental cunts instead of being funny (they're Tories now, of course, OF COURSE) and lots if the humour was suspiciously anti foreigner, anti-art, anti-gay (just look at the sgit Liam was saying at the time), and, y'know, the music was largely badly copied versions of old stuff and turgid as fuck.

It's not rage, they were just bad.

Actually no, that's unfair, they were just mediocre, which is worse. A Beatles coverband on mogadon.

Hilariously, when they got all coked up, the music got even slower and more lumpen.

14 hours ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

I haven’t heard Noel Gallagher’s new single, but this sounds like an accurate description.

But it is wrong about the Style Council in every possible way.

Style Council were and are amazing, only recently Weller did a live performance of You're The Best Thing, and he often dips into his/their back catalogue, so I’m confused why anyone would think he’s keen to forget about it. 

I liked the first album from Oasis - they capitalised on the ground swell of new bands from the late 80's indie fringes that the Stone Roses led but failed to convert into success. I use "they" liberally here, it was just as much the group as it was McGee in getting it out there and under peoples noses. It translated into a big success and generally gave birth to new possibilities - that unfortunately led to Britpop

Ironically Oasis where finished by album number 1  for me - as soon as they starting kissing up and getting into bed with Weller. It reminded me so much of U2's self destruct with Rattle and Hum