Oasis

Stanley

They were merely ok, they had a bit of attitude but it never translated into anything adventurous musically, The Jesus & Mary Chain they certainly were not. 

It was an interesting decade the 90s, probably the last great decade for British guitar bands, but I guess a lot of that has to do with how New Labour and the Tories have driven this country into the ground, it must be exceptionally difficult being in a band these days which is why they all seem to be middle class and privileged.

There’s just nothing now is there, the last proletariat band was probably the Arctic Monkeys. 

It is still surprising that Oasis reforming for gigs (and more horrifyingly - maybe new material) is still one of those things that is talked about and requested. 

Big box office no doubt, but come on -  it will be totally shit

On 30/05/2021 at 13:25, Stanley said:

They were merely ok, they had a bit of attitude but it never translated into anything adventurous musically, The Jesus & Mary Chain they certainly were not. 

It was an interesting decade the 90s, probably the last great decade for British guitar bands, but I guess a lot of that has to do with how New Labour and the Tories have driven this country into the ground, it must be exceptionally difficult being in a band these days which is why they all seem to be middle class and privileged.

There’s just nothing now is there, the last proletariat band was probably the Arctic Monkeys. 

IMO the 90’s were dreadful for guitar music, it was mostly commercial music capitalising on the cult success of 80’s alternative bands. It really stagnated. I don’t know why anyone in the 90s would be into British guitar bands when British artists were producing such awesome electronic music.

I don’t know how you can say there’s no new proletariat music in a world that Sleaford Mods exist in but the last decade has been awesome for alternative and guitar music. Countless talented working class bands out there, you just don’t hear them on the radio. 

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

IMO the 90’s were dreadful for guitar music, it was mostly commercial music capitalising on the cult success of 80’s alternative bands. It really stagnated. I don’t know why anyone in the 90s would be into British guitar bands when British artists were producing such awesome electronic music.

I don’t know how you can say there’s no new proletariat music in a world that Sleaford Mods exist in but the last decade has been awesome for alternative and guitar music. Countless talented working class bands out there, you just don’t hear them on the radio. 

Whether you liked it or not is another matter but I think it’s hard to just hand wave away bands such as Blur, Radiohead, Suede, Spiritualized, Pulp, etc. as commercial music capitalising on the 80’s. 

I’m not aware of many bands these days I must admit, but it seems to me that there aren’t many around any more, certainly ones that have made it, Idles are the only big ones I can think of, Wolf Alice too, although both of them are pretty middle class. 

Yeah Sleaford Mods, I’ll shut up about them 🙂

On 30/05/2021 at 01:11, Festoon said:

This contains my least favourite myth - lads from nothing. They lived on a pleasant, leafy estate. They weren't remotely 'lads from nothing' - that was a newspaper fiction of 'the working class' 

Mate, you're talking about Burnage like it's Didsbury or Chorlton. It isn't now and it certainly wasn't then. 

They were working class, especially compared to the other bands of that era. 

On 04/06/2021 at 13:50, Stanley said:

Whether you liked it or not is another matter but I think it’s hard to just hand wave away bands such as Blur, Radiohead, Suede, Spiritualized, Pulp, etc. as commercial music capitalising on the 80’s. 

I’m not aware of many bands these days I must admit, but it seems to me that there aren’t many around any more, certainly ones that have made it, Idles are the only big ones I can think of, Wolf Alice too, although both of them are pretty middle class. 

Yeah Sleaford Mods, I’ll shut up about them 🙂

Idles and Wolf Alice are big commercial pop bands. See below:

2 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

There's a load of working class people in music they just don't make any money. Support independent music!

50 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Idles and Wolf Alice are big commercial pop bands. See below:

Ok, so what was your point again? I thought we were talking about guitar bands generally, or the lack of them these days compared with the 90s, which you thought was rubbish anyway, but, yeah? 🤨

Interesting use of the word “commercial” btw, both Idles & Wolf Alice are signed to independents (Partisan & Dirty Hit respectively) so I guess you must be referring to their success, as I wouldn’t say either act has a particularly “commercial” sound, particularly Idles. 

50 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Ok, so what was your point again? I thought we were talking about guitar bands generally, or the lack of them these days compared with the 90s, which you thought was rubbish anyway, but, yeah? 🤨

Interesting use of the word “commercial” btw, both Idles & Wolf Alice are signed to independents (Partisan & Dirty Hit respectively) so I guess you must be referring to their success, as I wouldn’t say either act has a particularly “commercial” sound, particularly Idles. 

I’d say the term ‘guitar bands’ is pretty out dated these days. Bands that 20 or so years ago would have been guitar based generally have a far greater range of musical influences from jazz, electronica to hip hop. 

I’d definitely say Idles have a commercial sound especially in comparison to contemporaries such as Sleaford Mods or to a lesser extent Slaves. IMO alternative music is in a golden age at the moment you just have move away from commercial avenues to find them. Check out street press like Loud and Quiet, Crack and Gold Flake Paint and you’ll find countless artists that you’d be into. 

Yeah, huge success is usually reserved for middle class bands who have the connections, but that’s hardly something that’s new. Still bands like Black Midi, Fontaine’s DC and Porridge Radio for example have managed to gain some exposure over the last year so are there to be discovered.  

40 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I’d say the term ‘guitar bands’ is pretty out dated these days. Bands that 20 or so years ago would have been guitar based generally have a far greater range of musical influences from jazz, electronica to hip hop. 

I’d definitely say Idles have a commercial sound especially in comparison to contemporaries such as Sleaford Mods or to a lesser extent Slaves. IMO alternative music is in a golden age at the moment you just have move away from commercial avenues to find them. Check out street press like Loud and Quiet, Crack and Gold Flake Paint and you’ll find countless artists that you’d be into. 

Yeah, huge success is usually reserved for middle class bands who have the connections, but that’s hardly something that’s new. Still bands like Black Midi, Fontaine’s DC and Porridge Radio for example have managed to gain some exposure over the last year so are there to be discovered.  

I’ve no issues discovering new music, my point which may not have been clear is that it’s become increasingly difficult for bands and artists, particularly working class ones, to make it due to streaming, record company fuckery, and the defunding and erosion of the arts and other services over the last twenty or so years. 

All of those bands you mention have had privileged upbringings btw, and I'm not some kind of class warrior, it’s just an observation. 

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Gatekeeping at its finest, folks.

Snobbery in music can go fucking do one.

2 hours ago, wev said:

Gatekeeping at its finest, folks.

Snobbery in music can go fucking do one.

Fuck me, you’d really have to look hard into that to be offended. I shall apologise for the existence of 99% of music not being on major labels and the existence of street press that promotes them, I shall also apologise for mentioning the existence of non commercial music. I shall apologise for trying to share them with others because bands on the breadline only exist for music snobs and ‘gatekeepers’ whatever the fuck that means. 

13 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Fuck me, you’d really have to look hard into that to be offended. I shall apologise for the existence of 99% of music not being on major labels and the existence of street press that promotes them, I shall also apologise for mentioning the existence of non commercial music. I shall apologise for trying to share them with others because bands on the breadline only exist for music snobs and ‘gatekeepers’ whatever the fuck that means. 

Did I say I was offended? Merely pointing out that the way your addressing everybody else in this thread and your attitude towards people's tastes screams of Gatekeeping, even when challenged on Idles being "commercial" and having it pointed out to you that they're on an independent label, you namedrop Slaves, who are on a major label: Virgin EMI.

I'm sick and tired of Gatekeeping in all forms and will continue to call it out when I see it, if you happen to be doing that, then I'll be quoting it and calling it out.

Edit: also before you label me as someone who's not bringing attention to smaller bands, I suggest you check my history in the varied Best Music and album of the Year threads 🙂

4 hours ago, wev said:

Did I say I was offended? Merely pointing out that the way your addressing everybody else in this thread and your attitude towards people's tastes screams of Gatekeeping, even when challenged on Idles being "commercial" and having it pointed out to you that they're on an independent label, you namedrop Slaves, who are on a major label: Virgin EMI.

I'm sick and tired of Gatekeeping in all forms and will continue to call it out when I see it, if you happen to be doing that, then I'll be quoting it and calling it out.

Edit: also before you label me as someone who's not bringing attention to smaller bands, I suggest you check my history in the varied Best Music and album of the Year threads 🙂

I don’t know who pissed on your copy of NME but thats a bizarre crusade.