IGNORED

Dirk Gently - BBC 4

choduk

A bit last minute, I know. But having just listened to and enjoyed immensely "Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency", I'm quite looking forward to this.

Episode 1 tonight, then every Thursday I think.

Written, of course by Douglas Adams, and starring Harry Enfield and Billy Boyd.

• 2 years later...

Digging up an old thread alert!

BBC4 is going to show its adaptations of the Dirk Gently novels soon.

I preferred them over the Hitchhikers series, although I did enjoy both, but think the Dirk books have aged better, too.

Preview:Below, because I failed at posing a Youtube link.

AAARGH!

Thanks Peeveen :)

Actually, The South Bank Show on ITV dramtised scenes from the first book as Douglas was about to publish the sequel... and the Dirk in that case was a lot closer to the book (chubby, for one thing).

Yup, I remember that ... it was really quite good, considering it wasn't being made "properly".

Yup, I remember that ... it was really quite good, considering it wasn't being made "properly".

Yeah Chubby with a stupid hat.

I am going to have to get the books once more, I miss a little bit of Adams. I absolutely love Pratchett, especially his later stuff- but it was Adams that really started me on "written comedy".

Without him, I would have entirely missed Pratchett and so many others.

I enjoyed it. Better than Sherlock. Thought Mangan was a bit OTT in his rants, but Dirk often does that for effect. Maybe its one of those things that just works better in text.

If this encourages more people to read the criminally overlooked book then I will be happy.

Still would have liked to see Richard's unusual sofa problem or the electric monk though. Maybe if it becomes a series.

I really cant remember much about the books but know I loved them. Even the unfinished one .I was honestly dreading there would be canned laughter in this , especially after seeing who they cast as Dirk. When I realized it was being shown on bbc 4 my hopes were raised a lot. I watched it . It was good! Very much looking forward to more.

Nearly... but not quite.

Old lady was amusing, the reference to the first book in the paper (spoilered below), the whole unusual scenario that Dirk finds himself in, and the bit where he runs over Gordon all worked really well. Oh, and the school kid helping him with the laptop was a nice scene too.

As someone else said above though, his rant at Richard was played wrong. And because it drew on different story threads from the books, to me it felt a little patchy.

Horse found in college bedroom, which leads Dirk to surmise that the professor's room was actually a time machine

Not bad actually, they eschewed most of the more crazy stuff in order to fit a story into the running time that wasn't completely impenetrable. If the storyline seemed complex it's nothing compared to the books. I'd be up for a series.

Like Hitchhiker's, the best bits of the Dirk Gently books are the digressions that (at least at first) seem to have nothing to do with the main plot - the problem of getting the sofa upstairs; the academic no-one has spoken to for twenty years because his nose is shaped exactly like the disqualified keel from the 1960 Oxford/Cambridge boat race. A Dirk Gently adaptation without those is like a Hitchhiker's Guide adaptation without the "beware of the leopard" gag! :angry:

But it's hard to see how those bits could have been done visually, especially given the running time. So I appreciated they kept a few references to those bits - like the "cold war writ small" between Dirk and his cleaner. And I liked the fact that they managed to keep the same abrupt

"it was done using time travel!"

revelation as the book, but set it up in an entirely different way.

I'd definitely like it to go to series, even though I wasn't massively impressed with the pilot. I think with more episodes they'd have time to nail it, and they had some great nods to the character.

I guess as Dirk

actually saves the world in the book,

as well as charging exhorbitant fees to old ladies with lost cats, he seems like less of a dishonest chancer and more of a dishonest chancer who's redeemed by his own brilliance.

I really wanted them to include his method of navigating on the roads

by following cars that look like they know where they're going.

That's the one thing people who've read the book always seem to remember first.