Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels, feat. Bad Batch

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Nah. For me the magic of Star Wars is maintained by not seeking out any behind the scenes or making of stuff.

I don't ever need to know how this sausage was made, as long as it's delicious.

Technically, I think the sausage is made of ground-up Younglings.

11 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Technically, I think the sausage is made of ground-up Younglings.

Good.

Anyway, I think what's great about Rebels, is you could take all, and I mean all the Star Wars elements away, and it would still be a great fantasy show with likable characters, and engaging stories. And that's why it works.

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Yep. Shitting Christ fuck.

They get Star Wars.

I think I said something similar in this thread at exactly the same point. This show made me so optimistic about the new movies on the way, as Disney really seemed to understand what they were doing.

It turned out it was really only Filoni, but hey ho.

15 minutes ago, yakumo said:

That rascal, my only complaint about Rebels is the art styling. Wish it was more akin to Clone Wars.

I really like the change of visual style. It has a lot of texture. And Hera's hyperactive tails make me feel funny.

Side note: the space battles are even better than Clone Wars. Even more steady and clear, with excellent dogfighting drama.

I could stop watching Rebels right now, and I'd be comfortable saying it shits all over anything ever made with the Star Wars name that isn't the original trilogy, the Lucasarts Star Wars games of the 90s (mainly X-Wing series and Dark Forces), or the Heir to the Empire book trilogy.

@Bennyglad you're loving this, its making me want to do a rewatch now!

Filoni's love of Star Wars really shines through with Rebels. I feel with Clone Wars he was under the Lucas leash and constrained to existing characters but did a great job, especially with one dimensional Anakin.

With Rebels, and no longer under the Lucas cosh, he is able to do what he wants with his own creations whilst using the existing Legends source material, such as the Inquistors, to great effect.

Spoiler

BTW I love how Hondo has apparently survived the Clone Wars, the Empire and apparently through to the Rey era as well. It's only a matter of yltime before he appears in Mando.

I’m at almost the exact same point you are with Rebels, @Benny, and while I am certainly enjoying it, it’s not a patch on Clone Wars for me. Also, I think I preferred the low-stakes comic capers of S1 to what it’s done so far in S2 where it seems reluctant to commit to an actual story arc. But I’ve heard it steadily improves, so fingers crossed. 

Rebels is much more refreshing for me for not being tied down with all the prequels guff. And I'm much less interested in big story arcs than I am in having solidly entertaining episodes with engaging characters for which story arcs could easily shoot off from. Avatar did this really well: it was a highly entertaining episodic show that naturally developed into something more.

Anyway just watched an episode where I could have sworn a character was voiced by

Spoiler

Zoe from Firefly, and I was right!

Yeah, rebels was a bit meh by the end. I wasn't invested in anything really. The links are nice, and it closed stuff up and finished the nicely, but it was still very meh. Then there is Zeb, or whatever his name is. I've heard that voice actor since I was 4, it irritated me then, and it irritates me even more now.

So I watched the last 4 episodes of clones wars. Honestly, coming straight from rebels, it's a fuckin amazing. It's the best star wars there is.

I'm half way through Rebels season 2 and it's far more consistently fun and generally exciting episode to episode than Clone Wars. However, the new 7th season of Clone Wars is definitely on par with Rebels, especially the brilliant final 8 episodes.

Rebels S2E13 is an example of why the series is so great:

Spoiler

It's a self contained story that is just 20mins of fun in its own right, without having to hang off any kind of story arc to be engaging. 

It opens with a truly fantastic space battle, with real character drama. Characters react to the consequences understandably, and all express desire to resolve the situation in different ways, Chopper gets dragged along against his will grumbling, we get a base infiltration with some excellent dialogue and backstory thrown in for some of the characters, then there's a good old fashioned spaghetti western duelling scene complete with guitars.

It's just beat by beat a masterclass in making engaging storytelling in a short space of time.

Rebels Season 2, now that's how you end a series. It's pretty obvious from this point though that to get the most out of the show you really need to have watched the last three seasons of Clone Wars. 

Spoiler

It leans very heavily into the relationship between two central characters from that show at the expense of the rest of the Rebels cast. Which is great for fans of Clone Wars, but I think for anyone else would cause the viewing experience of Rebels to suffer somewhat.

On 25/11/2020 at 18:45, Benny said:

Okay the end of Clone Wars season 5 is actually amazing.

Hide contents

Particularly galling for Ahsoka was Rear Windu saying something like "er, actually I guess this was your trial. Yes that's it! This was your great trial! Definitely not our fault at all, will of the force or some shit. Yeah". Or words to that effect, and they really did amazingly well to show how painful the platitude was for her.

Yeah, when I went back to Clone Wars earlier in the year I rewatched that story line to get going again.

On 26/11/2020 at 20:51, Benny said:

There's a bit in season 7 episode 11:

Hide contents

Where the music is absolutely incredible, like something out of Blade Runner. It adds so so much gravitas to what you already know is about to happen, but it creates an incredible sense of dread better than anything the prequels managed. Superb.

As I’ve mentioned a few times in this thread that’s one of my favourite moments in all of Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Rebels Season 2, now that's how you end a series. It's pretty obvious from this point though that to get the most out of the show you really need to have watched the last three seasons of Clone Wars. 

Hide contents

It leans very heavily into the relationship between two central characters from that show at the expense of the rest of the Rebels cast. Which is great for fans of Clone Wars, but I think for anyone else would cause the viewing experience of Rebels to suffer somewhat.

I watched all of Rebels as it aired but I'd only seen the first two season or so of Clone Wars at the time. Season 7 didn't even exist. :)

I think as you say, to get the most out of it it helps, but it's not required viewing. 

Just got up to the Krell section of S4.

Spoiler

Treason it is, then.

Quite enjoyed the last few episodes, though I still really wish there was an option to disable that epilepsy filter, as it's more noticeable as the combat gets increasingly brutal (not long ago saw a bunch of fish-men turned to chum, fyi). I guess its baked into the masters, but it'd be nice if they did a reissue with that corrected for.

• JohnC changed the title to Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels, feat. Bad Batch