rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels

I just tried watching clone wars before my Disney deluxe trial period runs out. It's just awful. I tried the first episode of each of the first three series. I know it is for kids but it seems to get a lot of online love from adult nerds so what am I missing? Does it get better? Are there particular episodes or story arcs that are better than others? Or are these episodes pretty representative and i'm just not gonna like it?

It can be very hit and miss, yes.  The bad episodes/story arcs are really bad - but there are a few which are just superb.  

I'd recommend:

Season 3 - The Nightsisters (I think there are 3 consecutive stories here which are great)

Season 4 - Massacre (the continuation of the above story arc)

Season 5 - Sabotage - a very important story arc featuring Ahsoka Tano

Most of seasons 4 and 5 are pretty good, with the exception of the start of season 4 which is set in Mon Calamari.  I hated that story.

Also, any which feature Asajj Ventress and/or Cad Bane are normally pretty decent.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Tourist said:

I just tried watching clone wars before my Disney deluxe trial period runs out. It's just awful. I tried the first episode of each of the first three series. I know it is for kids but it seems to get a lot of online love from adult nerds so what am I missing? Does it get better? Are there particular episodes or story arcs that are better than others? Or are these episodes pretty representative and i'm just not gonna like it?

Ah, it's patchy. Get googling for "best episodes" because sometimes it's awesome, aaaand ... some times it's blue alien Lucas and his daughter starring in it. It must have different people working on different storylines. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

Ah, it's patchy. Get googling for "best episodes" because sometimes it's awesome, aaaand ... some times it's blue alien Lucas and his daughter starring in it. It must have different people working on different storylines. 

You mean Baron Hemorrhoida?

Every time I forget about it someone has to remind me of George Lucas and his animated fantasy where he wishes he was Batman.

Loads of great episodes in clone wars but there are also some real stinkers with a few mediocre ones strewn about, the first series starts off pretty rocky. 

Godamn Clone Wars is the shit, I feel bad for criticising the prequel movies because if they didn't exist then we wouldn't have Clone Wars. Everyone has dimension,depth and emotion , plus the series is pretty dark and violent too. Love the droids, roger roger.

Outstanding series.

• Upvote 1

On 18/02/2020 at 12:31, yakumo said:

Godamn Clone Wars is the shit, I feel bad for criticising the prequel movies because if they didn't exist then we wouldn't have Clone Wars. Everyone has dimension,depth and emotion , plus the series is pretty dark and violent too. Love the droids, roger roger.

Outstanding series.

Clone Wars is legit amazing, but shouldn't have to have existed just to rescue what the prequels messed up. It's like there were three giant turds in the centre of a patch of mud, so someone grew an enormous and beautiful flower bed around to lessen the ugliness and stench :D

Anyways, looking forward to seeing the new season :)

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Totally forgot about voiceover guy at the start.

I always liked that part makes me think of the wartime news reels. 

Man episode two was a slow burner but i am slowly falling in love with Clone Force 99 may have to buy the whole squad when the eventually figure is released.

The start to this series has been great but this latest episode I think is the best of the bunch, Clone Wars is always at its best when it gets  a little dark.

Spoiler

The little flashes of Vader popping out of Anakin are always good, everybody hated him in the prequels but he really is an infinitely better character in Clone Wars.

With the arrival of Disney+ I've decided to go right back to the beginning of Clone Wars and watch it through properly after getting out of sync and missing some episodes over the years.

Weirdly, I'm really struggling with the voice portrayal of Obi Wan. The American actor is clearly trying to impersonate Ewan McGregor but is pronouncing words like "can't" as "kant" instead of with a long, southern English "ah" sound, ie "cahn't", "cahstle", etc. I suppose I'll get used to it but it seems odd that the actor didn't nail this small but crucial detail.

I'm not starting the new ones until I've done the full re-run.  And obvs skipping any that have too much Jar-Jar in them.  Looking forward to seeing the story arc with the Night Sisters again - particularly after playing Fallen Order.

Never seen Clone Wars but intend to do the full run through once I've watched the Mandalorian. If it is anything like Rebels though I'll be very happy! :) 

Also going to start my 4yo on the Yoda Chronicles later too.

43 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Never seen Clone Wars but intend to do the full run through once I've watched the Mandalorian. If it is anything like Rebels though I'll be very happy! :) 

Also going to start my 4yo on the Yoda Chronicles later too.

It's better than Rebels IMO.

• Upvote 1

That opening 60 seconds said more about Anakin and his relationship with Obi Wan than the entire prequel movies and the whole episode was fantastic, they really need to give Faloni a movie, the guy just gets Star Wars like nobody else.

Oh boy, it's reached that this week.

Just one left now, on Monday.

On 25/03/2020 at 11:33, superfunk said:

With the arrival of Disney+ I've decided to go right back to the beginning of Clone Wars and watch it through properly after getting out of sync and missing some episodes over the years.

Weirdly, I'm really struggling with the voice portrayal of Obi Wan. The American actor is clearly trying to impersonate Ewan McGregor but is pronouncing words like "can't" as "kant" instead of with a long, southern English "ah" sound, ie "cahn't", "cahstle", etc. I suppose I'll get used to it but it seems odd that the actor didn't nail this small but crucial detail.

He’s not the only one with a dodgy accent - this made me do a double-take last week.

• Upvote 1

Blimey. The last four episodes of the new season of Clone Wars is absolute top-tier stuff. Absolutely wonderful. I enjoyed Mandalorian enormously, but for me these are on a different level altogether. 

• Upvote 1

I should also add - the soundtrack for these episodes is absolutely incredible. Completely fills the thing with dread.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt Defis said:

I'll second that it was truly excellent and I'm hoping for a cinematic release.

I vote that they redo the prequel films all in Clone Wars animation. Get Filoni to change an awful lot of what the characters say, and it would be a wonderful thing indeed.

Is there a well regarded definitive list anywhere of what to watch? I started on the first series and I've found them all a bit of a challenge....and hearing the impressions of the latest series I'm tempted to just jump in there but if there's a reason not to I'd like to know :)

There is some serious awful shit in there, anything that doesn't really focus on the clones, Anakin, Ahsoka and Obi Wan is usually bad. Jar Jar, droids, George Lucas being space batman stand out as bad. 

I intend to start it from the beginning, but before I do, I decided to check out the 2003 Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars mini-series. 

I remember not getting on with it, for some reason, when I tried to watch it many years ago. 

I was wrong, that shit is tight! 

I get that it's not canon, but it's a shame that it appears to have been scrubbed from existence, (DVDs are OOP, it's not on Disney +), as it's incredibly entertaining and kids would love it. 

I'm rewatching the whole lot before I start on season 7 and the good is better than I remember, but the bad is just shit.  As a rule:

Jar Jar/Padme - usually shit.  Poor Padme really gets a rough deal in Star Wars!

Ahsoka, Ventress, the main bounty hunters (particularly Aurra Sing and Cad Bane) - usually good.

The Mandalorian story arc in season 2 is pretty cool, particularly if you've seen the end of The Mandalorian.

The first episode of season 3 with the clone cadets training is so, so good - got that on as I type.