Pizza Hut

Duckula

Nowadays I eat a good diet but back in my student days me and my friends would go to those pizza hut buffets at lunchtime and ate until we were nearly sick. Only now that I'm looking at the nutritional info on some of their pizzas I realize how hilariously unhealthy this was. Around 500 calories a slice on some of the meat feast type pizzas, we used to goad eachother on to eat as much as possible!

At the same time typing tthis post has me craving a greasy monster of a pizza right now..

I used to order Dominos quite a lot in my final year, I can't imagine they were any healthier. Probably less so as I'd use vouchers to get a bunch of free shit I really didn't need but ate anyway.

I haven't touched a pizza in months, and honestly the ones you buy at the supermarket (aside from maybe the pizza express ones) are shite.

Anyone got any opinions on the matter?

When they first started doing the all-you-can-eat buffets, I was in sixth form and a group of six of us went there for lunch one day. Between us we polished off 115 slices of pizza! :)

Then I think they started making the buffet pizzas purposefully more greasy because the last couple of times I've been I've felt sick after like 5 pieces. In fact I haven't been at all for a couple of years and the mere thought of eating one now makes me feel rather ill.

This is the best pizza recipe I have tried, either as calzone as per the original recipe, or making the dough as per instructions and making a conventional pizza with it. make two, one with lots of salami and mushrooms with mozzarella, the other with mozzarella and pesto. You'll never crave a Pizza Hut pizza again.

I find it a bit annoying that pizzas are seen as unhealthy when in actual fact they can be a really good and balanced meal. It's only because certain fat slobs eat them every day, and the ones they eat are from takeaways, supermarkets and places like Pizza Hut, where they're processed and bastardized into salt-laden discs of deaths, dripping with saturated fat.

For instance, if you make one yourself:

- base: flour, olive oil, a bit of salt, yeast = no problem

- tomato sauce: tomatoes, garlic, olive oil (maybe onions), some herbs and a bit of seasoning = good

- toppings: veg, shrooms, etc = very good; ham, chicken = good; pepperoni = not great, but fine if not in excess

- cheese: yeah, so this is high in fat/saturated fat, but you don't need to cover every millimetre of the pizza with three types of cheese - a few scattered pieces of nice mozzarella is all you need.

It's probably not going to be something to eat very often if you're on a calorie-restricted diet, but for most people it's absolutely fine.

Oh, and Pasta Hut sounds horrible.

Pizza Hut really are awful, and like The Fox I've found that I've felt rough after my last couple of visits (which are very infrequent). They certainly do swim in grease, too, and the base is like card. As a takeaway I much prefer Dominos, though I've not enjoyed the last few of them I've had either. Maybe I'm just going-off pizza? Not such a bad thing I guess...

Pizza Hut really are awful, and like The Fox I've found that I've felt rough after my last couple of visits (which are very infrequent). They certainly do swim in grease, too, and the base is like card. As a takeaway I much prefer Dominos, though I've not enjoyed the last few of them I've had either. Maybe I'm just going-off pizza? Not such a bad thing I guess...

Try making your own and get those jaded taste buds singing again!

Any pizza you get from a franchise is going to be absolute crap compared to something you can pick up at even the simplest italian restaurant. well,as long as they've got a wood fired grill...

A good, cheap place in london that does excellent pizzas is Spacca Napoli on Dean Street - http://www.london-eating.co.uk/6801.htm

Reminds me, i've got some pizza yeast that I really should get round to using at some point...

Reminds me, i've got some pizza yeast that I really should get round to using at some point...

Pizza yeast?

I was aware that there are loads of different kinds of yeast, but I've never seen any marketed specifically for pizza. Does it make a lot of difference?

Pizza yeast?

I was aware that there are loads of different kinds of yeast, but I've never seen any marketed specifically for pizza. Does it make a lot of difference?

I'll have to ask my girlfriend that - I bought a load of it while I was in italy on her recommendation. All i remember is that you have to wait a good long time for it to rise!

Never heard of Zizzis so doubtful I will :angry: tbh none of the italian places I've been in have I ever seen a Calzone on offer...

Next time I'm at Manchester or somewhere will have a looksee.

Frankie & Bennys do a cracking meatball calzone if you've got one of them near you.

Never heard of Zizzis so doubtful I will :) tbh none of the italian places I've been in have I ever seen a Calzone on offer...

Next time I'm at Manchester or somewhere will have a looksee.

the only time i've ever had one i wasnt too impressed when i took a bit loads of juices came out was probley just the shit place it was from.

No, they call them calzones. A pizza pie - or pie - is just another name for a pizza.

Got to watch out what state you're in about that. In certain places pizza pie is topping layered pizza, with enough toppings to feed a small Africian nation. The tooping is often about two/three inches thick.

Got to watch out what state you're in about that. In certain places pizza pie is topping layered pizza, with enough toppings to feed a small Africian nation. The tooping is often about two/three inches thick.

Yeah in Florida recently we went to a place called Giordano's and got one of these preposterous creations:

http://elbalsero.net/giordanos%20pizza%20%20front.JPG

All the toppings are in the middle (which - at least in the case of my pepperoni and ground beef - meant you couldn't really taste them), then you have like two inches of cheese, and then the tomato sauce on top.

edit: oh still no images in posts? :<