Foods that arent the what they are...

McFly

Its a rubbish title but its all i could think of.

I was in Italy and ordered Carbonara and got spaghetti with egg and ham, it was fucking brilliant.

Now when you ask for that here you get creamy hammy shite, why? Its not carbonara, It was something completely different.

Anyother foods you get here/anywhere that are nothing like the original thing?

People are still scared of raw eggs, for some reason.

I make mine with raw eggs *and* cream. So nyer.

This is how I'd do it- fry ham and mushrooms if having in olive oil, cook pasta, drain and take off heat and put back in dry pan, bung oily meat and a raw egg or two with a tablespoon or two of cream beaten into it in with it, stir a bit so eggs cook in pasta/ meat warmth.

Close to proper?

The way i saw Rick Stein do it on telly, was just to make some spaghetti and fry a bit of ham then beat some eggs in bowl and pour over the pasta.

That's pretty much how you do it except you want your pasta to still be hot when you pour the eggs over or else they won't cook properly.

I also like to add a load of fresh black pepper and some parmesan to mine. Carbonara is one of my favourite things to eat.

That's pretty much how you do it except you want your pasta to still be hot when you pour the eggs over or else they won't cook properly.

I also like to add a load of fresh black pepper and some parmesan to mine. Carbonara is one of my favourite things to eat.

Oh yeah, you gotta have loads of black pepper. That's why it's called carbonara.

My carbonara comes from a Nigella recipe, and sounds pretty much like Wickedkitten's - eggs, parmesan, lots of black pepper and (usually) no cream. I add nutmeg into the egg mixture, use pancetta instead of ham, and throw in a little white wine when the pancetta's almost cooked.

My lasagne would probably be considered an abomination here, because I cook it Italian-American style. No bechamel sauce; instead I use ricotta blended with parsley, mozarella and parmesan layered with the pasta and the usual tomatoey mince. We have the bechamel lasagne from time to time, but I always do the ricotta one.

I always get annoyed at what gets passed off as a Cornish pasty. I can just about accept all the mad variations on them we have in bakeries down here (chicken tikka massala pasties, pork and apple pasties, cheese and bacon pasties, and so on and so forth) and that there are companies that make shoddy substandard 'pasties' for national consumption, but if someone offers you a Cornish pasty that contains carrot, it ain't a Cornish pasty. Turnips, definitely. Swedes, yes. But carrots? No. No. No. No.

Please explain.

Instead of Bechamel sauce you use slices of mozzarella, ricotta, and parmesan in between the layers.

My lasagne would probably be considered an abomination here, because I cook it Italian-American style. No bechamel sauce; instead I use ricotta blended with parsley, mozarella and parmesan layered with the pasta and the usual tomatoey mince. We have the bechamel lasagne from time to time, but I always do the ricotta one.

o/\o

this version of a lasagne sounds much nicer i'll have to give it a try.

That's the lasgane I grew up with, miles better IMO :)

This thread has given me a hankering for both Lasagne and Carbonara, I'm going to have to walk to Asda tomorrow...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure some other examples will pop into my head soon. I know what you mean, when you order something and you think "This ain't supposed to be like that!".

The pairing of bolognese ragu with spaghetti is a prime example; probably the most accepted combo within this country, but an Italian would have a heart attack over the two being combined.

The pairing of bolognese ragu with spaghetti is a prime example; probably the most accepted combo within this country, but an Italian would have a heart attack over the two being combined.

I've known plenty of Italians that eat it. The main thing (putting aside the whole origins of Spaghetti being in Naples rather than Bologna thing) that has been a bone of contention however is the difference in some people making it with a jar of Ragu and some mince and having it end up tasting like crap or making it starting off by using a battuto and slow cooking for hours on end so it ends up nice, thick, and delicious.

I've known plenty of Italians that eat it. The main thing (putting aside the whole origins of Spaghetti being in Naples rather than Bologna thing) that has been a bone of contention however is the difference in some people making it with a jar of Ragu and some mince and having it end up tasting like crap or making it starting off by using a battuto and slow cooking for hours on end so it ends up nice, thick, and delicious.

Give us a good recipe, if you please! I always use a jar (Dolmios or Lloyd Grossman) because I just can't get the sauce right if I try making it myself. I'm quite up for some slow cooking.

I am currently eating (at the computer; I'm terrible I know) carbonara made using the video recipie above. It tastes delicious, but it looks extremely unappetising, like an omelette crashed into my pasta. I don't think I added enough water, or cheese, or something's not quite right. Would try it again though.

Sounds like the egg has scrambled. That's not how it should be, the egg should amalgamate with the pasta water and cheese to make a silky smooth sauce.

Has it got actual pieces of egg in it?

Yeah, it was literally scrambled egg with cheese and pasta. I suspect I should have used more water, less cheese, and maybe less heat too.