Fight Night Round 4

Fusty Gusset

After using my day off to spend most of it playing this I have to say it is a lovely fighting sim. I really think online is where this game shines as you battle with people all over the globe. Most of my matches have gone over 7 rounds so they have been real battles. I would suggest for the first 2 rounds not to use the points you have acquired but apply them in the 3rd by then your opponent will be low on juice and you will be getting your 2nd wind.

My only complaint apart from the loading times is that I get blisters from the analog stick.

Gamestation are doing a deal where if you trade in prototype you get FN for 9.99

I'm enjoying what i've played so far started legacy mode as Tyson and can tell that height and reach of the boxers plays a big part now. Had a fight against a boxer much taller than tyson who kept using his reach advantage with his jab to stop me getting up close where tyson can do his damage.

Some pretty good characters to download already like boxers people have made who aren't in the game and Rocky etc.

After using my day off to spend most of it playing this I have to say it is a lovely fighting sim. I really think online is where this game shines as you battle with people all over the globe. Most of my matches have gone over 7 rounds so they have been real battles. I would suggest for the first 2 rounds not to use the points you have acquired but apply them in the 3rd by then your opponent will be low on juice and you will be getting your 2nd wind.

My only complaint apart from the loading times is that I get blisters from the analog stick.

A high road retailer ( HMV I think) are doing a deal where if you trade in prototype you get FN for 9.99

Will have to check this out then. Expected much more from Prototype

Really enjoying this, aside from the load times, which seem worse than Round 3's (but that might be my memory at fault).

I'm still having trouble with the controls, throwing punches I don't want to and missing countering opportunities, but it's all a learning curve and I like games I have to learn to play. Much better than the usual pick-up-and-go shooter fare.

My one online fight went the distance (I lost), but it performed really well. I've been having an absolute nightmarish time with UFC, but the netcode here seems pretty solid.

I'm also having the freeze bug, as I did with the demo - if I'm signed into Live when I start the game, it hangs on the Fight Night splash screen. It's no problem to pull the ethernet cable out before launching the game though, and signing into Live once the game's loaded causes no problems. Still, I hope EA fix it.

Haven't tried the face creator yet, and I'm disappointed that the sliders only come into play when you download photos (or am I doing it wrong?) but overall, this is a real improvement on Round 3

I'm about to try that. I'll report back if it crashes.

Also: no tattoos? Who made that decision? Why on earth, when so many boxers have tattoos, is there no way of putting tattoos on your creations?

EDIT: No problem creating a boxer once I'd managed to upload my pictures (which wasn't at all easy - EA have the most preposterous setup I've ever seen: I've got an EA account, and a gamertag that will sign into EA sports, but getting them to join up took about an hour of logging in, changing email addresses, changing passwords, logging out, repeating and repeating and repeating...).

Doesn't look ANYTHING like me though.

Okay guys, whats the deal, are you all punch drunk that you don't actually want to talk about this game ?. This is a brilliant boxing sim so where is the love ?

I was having a fight on line with one of my pals. He was Lewis and I was Tyson, I could not get near him as he kept on using his jabs and body punch haymakers . Then in an inspired move I slip an uppercut he threw and connected my right to his chin bam ! Lewis is down my friend is screaming like a girl and I have a broad smile on my face.

I love this game :wub:

According to Fight Night Round 4, I am a black man.

I've never been so happy in all my life.

Good for you (your BNP membership has been noted ), back on point is anyone messing about with the control ie reassigning buttons. I am thinking of switching the haymaker button to the left bumper.

Okay guys, whats the deal, are you all punch drunk that you don't actually want to talk about this game ?. This is a brilliant boxing sim so where is the love ?

I was having a fight on line with one of my pals. He was Lewis and I was Tyson, I could not get near him as he kept on using his jabs and body punch haymakers . Then in an inspired move I slip an uppercut he threw and connected my right to his chin bam ! Lewis is down my friend is screaming like a girl and I have a broad smile on my face.

I love this game :wub:

i liking it so far. it is good the way your got to work your way round your opponents style.

What characters do people recomend downloading?

I'm also having the freeze bug, as I did with the demo - if I'm signed into Live when I start the game, it hangs on the Fight Night splash screen. It's no problem to pull the ethernet cable out before launching the game though, and signing into Live once the game's loaded causes no problems. Still, I hope EA fix it.

Have you tried clearing the cache? I've had similar problems on a couple of other games and it worked for me.

I love the Fight Night series but I've been cautious of this so far. Is it different enough from Round 3, which I still play, to warrant a purchase?

The fighting's pretty different, yeah. This is going to sound like I'm just reading from the back of the box, but height and reach really do matter, as does fighting style.

They've got rid of the parry system (yay!) but replaced it with a 'counter' system (boo!) where you have to perfectly time a block or slip a punch, and then the game goes into slow motion for a second. If you hit your opponent during this, there's a yellow flash, your opponent is rocked and your punch does loads more damage. It's the thing you've GOT to get your head around to be really successful (especially online). I wish it wasn't there though, because it's just as videogamey as the parry system was, and it takes away from the sim aspect.

Non-fighting stuff:

No button control scheme - it's all done on the right stick (but it works well once you're used to it)

No sliders for create a fighter, unless you download a photo from EA World of Sports. Otherwise you're stuck with a pre-made head.

No tattoos

'Legacy Mode' is the new career mode. It's fine, but not a massive change from FNR3. There are more training games and you schedule your fight yourself. And you have to retire after 50 fights (I think it's 50). There's a popularity counter, and there's also a scheme where you have to try to reach goals (win more than 50% of your fights, land more than 60% of your punches) in order to move from 'bum' to 'greatest boxer ever'.

The between-rounds minigame has gone and has been replaced with a points system where you earn points during the round and use them to 'buy' things to replenish your health, your stamina or reduce 'damage' (which I think is swelling/cuts)

You can have custom soundtracks for your ring entrance music.

How do I clear my cache?

Epic fail. I thought I'd have to wait until tomorrow for my copy to arrive, but I just saw the Amazon box lying on the table. It's been there for days apparently.

:wub:

And I can't play it tonight because I'm off out to a restaurant opening.

:D

Still, I should have all day tomorrow to play it. Win.

It's better than in Round 3, but it's not revolutionary. You do have rankings, and you also have a progress bar from 'bum' to the greatest fighter ever. You've got to schedule your own fights and training...

There's no narrative though.

Well, it seems like more of an incentive in single player atleast. How are you matched up against fighters this time round? They still arn't having you fight Manny Pacquiao be your opponent after 5 fights, are they?