Fight Night Round 4

Fusty Gusset

I don't get this.

If you don't fight frequently you are in danger of losing popularity, but if you fight frequently you don't have the time for proper training?

Yeah. It's a balancing act. If you disappear for months and months, your public profile dips. If you stay high-profile, you don't have as much time to train.

Makes sense to me. But then I'm assuming that the popularity boost you get from winning isn't a constant. I assume you get more popularity if you fight brilliantly and get a stunning knockout in the third round than if you fight adequately and scrape through on points at the end of the fight.

If you just get, say, 5 popularity points no matter how good a fight you put on, then it's a stupid system. But if it's variable, then it's a decent balancing act - you lose some popularity by training more, but in doing so you've got the chance to win loads more popularity, because you're fitter and stronger and can put on a better fight.

Yeah. It's a balancing act. If you disappear for months and months, your public profile dips. If you stay high-profile, you don't have as much time to train.

Makes sense to me. But then I'm assuming that the popularity boost you get from winning isn't a constant. I assume you get more popularity if you fight brilliantly and get a stunning knockout in the third round than if you fight adequately and scrape through on points at the end of the fight.

If you just get, say, 5 popularity points no matter how good a fight you put on, then it's a stupid system. But if it's variable, then it's a decent balancing act - you lose some popularity by training more, but in doing so you've got the chance to win loads more popularity, because you're fitter and stronger and can put on a better fight.

Why would you lose popularity if you decided to train harder? Especially if you are already quite well known. Surely people would like you to train as much as possible to provide them with a classic fight?

It doesn't make any sense. Oh, well...

Why would you lose popularity if you decided to train harder? Especially if you are already quite well known. Surely people would like you to train as much as possible to provide them with a classic fight?

It makes perfect sense, but you have to sort of put a 'not very real world filter' over what the game shows you because it's not explicit at all. UFC did it slightly better, I think.

If you're training for six months, you're not in the public eye. If you're not in the public eye, you're not in news stories, interviews, magazines etc. People (casual fans, not real aficionados) start to forget about you, and so your popularity goes down. Of course, in the week or two leading up to your fight, you'll be interviewed, photographed and your public profile and therefore your popularity will go up (say, 1%). Then let's assume you win the fight, so your popularity goes up more, because people like a winner. Then if you take six months off from the media circus again to go away and train, you're out of the limelight for those six months and your population goes down again.

If you do one fight a month, you're always in the press, so your popularity doesn't go down. But you don't have as much chance to train.

Your casual fan doesn't really think 'I hope Talk Show Host takes ages off to train up really well for his next fight'. They forget about you when you aren't being shoved down their throats by Sky Sports News.

I assume its because if you trained for say 6 months, you would be out of the public eye for a while. If you trained for 2 months you would be more visible and in the media for example.

Does this become almost impossible at a certain stage?

Ive got to about 24th in the rankings and Im overall about 68 points (I think) but now everyone around me is in the 80s. Im already looking at fighting people like Malignaggi and hes a legend! Lost my first fight last night to someone in the 70s but there just seemed no way to beat him. His stamina, health and practically everything else were so much better than mine.

Are you supposed to fight people of similar points to yourself and get loads of training in so you dont lose, Im sure that would take absolutely ages, especially with the training being so difficult.

Most fights now employ the 10 point must system (which you've basically laid out) sometimes you'll see 10-7 for multiple knockdowns. But fights can be scored 9-8 etc.

I've always found it strange how both fighter can get less than 10 in the 10 point must system (where at least one fighter MUST get 10) :)

Cheers for the points help, seems like quite a weird way of scoring to be honest, why not just call it the 3 point must, why bother with 10 if no-one really goes down to 6 or lower?

Sorry, if I'm missing something obvious or anything and it's probably that way from Queensbury days :blah:

Need to get back into it really, been a bit slack with my boxing career...

I think there are two scoring systems. The 10 point must, which i'm sure one boxer has to score ten points and then just scoring out of ten, which you rarely see now a days.

As for dognuts comment of "does this become impossible at a certain stage" Not really but i'm a little further on than yourself and i felt the same frustration. Your stats do not compare to your opponents and i have only had one knockout win (round 10) in my last 9 fights. You just have to box clever and beat them on points. It makes you a much better boxer as you master your counter punching and don't leave yourself open to big shots. I thought i was gonna get slaughtered by the 14th ranked fighter (i was 18th) as his stats were way higher than mine but i just worked behind my jab and won every round.

I think you notice the improvement in your boxing skills when you go into play now and use your character against a ring legend. The stats are evened out. At first i was getting beaten easily but now i beat top rated boxers in two or three rounds.

Training is still shit though. Heavy bags can kiss my ass

I don't know, I'm afraid. I've been neglecting Legacy mode in favour of World Championship mode online. Giant Bomb's review suggests you autotrain though.

I have to admit that apart from a few unranked online games Ive only played Legacy mode.

What exactly is Championship mode online please?

As for dognuts comment of "does this become impossible at a certain stage" Not really but i'm a little further on than yourself and i felt the same frustration. Your stats do not compare to your opponents and i have only had one knockout win (round 10) in my last 9 fights. You just have to box clever and beat them on points. It makes you a much better boxer as you master your counter punching and don't leave yourself open to big shots. I thought i was gonna get slaughtered by the 14th ranked fighter (i was 18th) as his stats were way higher than mine but i just worked behind my jab and won every round.

I think you notice the improvement in your boxing skills when you go into play now and use your character against a ring legend. The stats are evened out. At first i was getting beaten easily but now i beat top rated boxers in two or three rounds.

Training is still shit though. Heavy bags can kiss my ass

Thanks, that at least gives me some encouragement!

And your right about the heavy bag.......

World Championship mode is where you create a boxer and take him online. It's basically a ranked match, but with only CAB fighters.

You move up the rankings based on your win/loss record, and eventually, if you get to number 1, you win the belt for your weightclass (though I'm currently 10 and 0, all by knockouts, and I'm still waaaaaay down somewhere around the 2000 mark, so I have very little hope of ever getting close to the top). If you're the title holder, I think you have to fight within a certain amount of time or you lose the belt.

Like Legacy mode, but without the training, and against real people.

World Championship mode is where you create a boxer and take him online. It's basically a ranked match, but with only CAB fighters.

You move up the rankings based on your win/loss record, and eventually, if you get to number 1, you win the belt for your weightclass (though I'm currently 10 and 0, all by knockouts, and I'm still waaaaaay down somewhere around the 2000 mark, so I have very little hope of ever getting close to the top). If you're the title holder, I think you have to fight within a certain amount of time or you lose the belt.

Like Legacy mode, but without the training, and against real people.

That actually sounds superb, dont think Ive even seen it in the menus.

I assume you go online with the boxer at his high level of points, think mine is 86. Is it the same total for all CAB's.

It's in the Xbox Live menu, I think.

I'm not sure how they do it, but they 'level' everyone, so in theory, everyone's the same overall (I think). But that still gives you lots of scope for variation though - I've fought incredibly tall people with huge reach and massive muscles who don't have enough stamina or chin to go past round 3, and small people who just won't fall down and never get tired, but who don't hurt at all, even with haymakers.

Makes for a very interesting time, as you often have to change your strategy. I'm generally an outside fighter, but against the aforementioned massive giant, I had to fight inside, as his reach was 80-odd inches, and mine's only 76.

As with all the online stuff though, you've only got the three weightclasses, so again they level your fighter to the appropriate weightclass. My guy's a light heavy, so I'm fighting in heavyweight. I've not tried taking him into middle or lightweight, so I'm not sure how they'd level him if I did that.

Had two bouts in Championship mode last night. Bit tough!

First geezer had a character at 160lbs and was the size of the Hulk against my 143lbs 5'10" weed. Just couldnt get near. He just kept tagging me from distance and waited for the fight to go the distance. Are some people just making the biggest character thats possible just to get ahead, bit of a joke if thats the case. I didnt notice him having low stamina or health, he was just a machine!

Second fight was good but I need to practice big time.

Yeah, there do seem to be a lot of preposterously enormous fighters in Championship mode.

Getting inside with them can be tough, but often they'll spam punches. If they do, you can block a fair few of them until their stamina's low, then hopefully hit them with a counter (which stops their stamina replenishing). Then they're too tired to throw a proper punch, so you can push through their punches and get inside.

If you manage to get a few hits in, that delays their stamina regain too. Then you can either try to stay inside, weaving and blocking and countering (which I'm not very good at) or back off again and repeat the block tactic.

If they don't spam punches, your best option is to keep circling and trying to get inside, and work on your blocking and slipping. The counter window is pretty much the same as FNR3's parry window, so it gives you time to move inside. Then you've cancelled out his reach. You've got to keep pushing in though, or they'll back away and use their reach again.

Yeah, there do seem to be a lot of preposterously enormous fighters in Championship mode.

Getting inside with them can be tough, but often they'll spam punches. If they do, you can block a fair few of them until their stamina's low, then hopefully hit them with a counter (which stops their stamina replenishing). Then they're too tired to throw a proper punch, so you can push through their punches and get inside.

If you manage to get a few hits in, that delays their stamina regain too. Then you can either try to stay inside, weaving and blocking and countering (which I'm not very good at) or back off again and repeat the block tactic.

If they don't spam punches, your best option is to keep circling and trying to get inside, and work on your blocking and slipping. The counter window is pretty much the same as FNR3's parry window, so it gives you time to move inside. Then you've cancelled out his reach. You've got to keep pushing in though, or they'll back away and use their reach again.

I've only had one fight online and i took one hell of a beating by yes a giant of a boxer. I feel like re creating my boxer. I'm just average size (150lbs) with a 72 reach i think. As others have said there doesn't seem to be enough of a penalty to creating arnie type boxers.

By the way has anyone seen a Frank Bruno in the Share a boxing option? Got some great boxers from there.

I've only had one fight online and i took one hell of a beating by yes a giant of a boxer. I feel like re creating my boxer. I'm just average size (150lbs) with a 72 reach i think. As others have said there doesn't seem to be enough of a penalty to creating arnie type boxers.

By the way has anyone seen a Frank Bruno in the Share a boxing option? Got some great boxers from there.

I havent seen Bruno but I have seen a few Balboa's and Creed's. It doesnt get any better than that :) (actually, a Drago and Lang would be good too)

How do you actually load up a picture of yourself onto EA Sports without having a Live Vision Camera, I cant see it anywhere? Yeah, Im that sad.......

How do you actually load up a picture of yourself onto EA Sports without having a Live Vision Camera, I cant see it anywhere? Yeah, Im that sad.......

Just get a profile pic and face on pic of you and upload it to easportsworld.com (iirc) then you download it from there through the game.

I'm that sad too, I did it originally for Tiger Woods 09, works quite well though, quite funny.

Just get a profile pic and face on pic of you and upload it to easportsworld.com (iirc) then you download it from there through the game.

I'm that sad too, I did it originally for Tiger Woods 09, works quite well though, quite funny.

Ive been on the EA website and the Upload thing says Beta on it and doesnt let you upload? Maybe its down for now. Can you upload onto the Tiger Woods site and do it that way?

Ive been on the EA website and the Upload thing says Beta on it and doesnt let you upload? Maybe its down for now. Can you upload onto the Tiger Woods site and do it that way?

Ignore that Beta thing, it's for a 3D avatar I think...nothing to do with these games. The actual thing was really well hidden on the site a couple of days ago but seems to be on the front page now.

Go to http://www.easportsworld.com and look for 'Photo Game Face' which is about half way down the screen.

When I did it the other day I had to enable a widget for it on my EA Sports profile to even display this but once you are there you just upload a picture from your PC and then when you create a fighter in Round 4, it will be there.

Thanks for the link. I have NO IDEA how I couldnt see that. I looked everywhere on the site.

I dont think there is a way to actually edit your face once you have created your character is there?

To be honest I don't think it was even on the front page when I did mine a day or so ago. I had to Google quite a bit to find out what to do.

Once you have uploaded your photos you can adjust contrast/brightness and that's it but when you get them in game there are some basic settings and then some pretty comprehensive sliders so that you can change features and skin tones etc.

My face looks reasonably accurate but it basically assigns a default head shape which you'll probably have to mess around with quite a bit to get it looking like you.

It unlocks an achievement too I think.

Where the hell do I find uploaded videos ? I'm signed into EASports or whatever the site is but under "my media" there's nothing - I know I've got videos up cos I watched a few I put up with skate2.

WTF???????

Have you got the widget for it enabled? I can't test this because I haven't uploaded any clips but if you select 'My EA Sports World' and then 'add widgets' I think you need to make sure that 'My Videos' is added and then click 'Complete'. I think it should be there then.

It's a messy system for sure. I think the guy who did the Fifa 09 menus must have been involved with this site.

I've give up on this online theres no boxing going on just people hitting as many body shots as possile. how can someone throw six hundered punches in a round and have their stamina hardly go down.

I've give up on this online theres no boxing going on just people hitting as many body shots as possile. how can someone throw six hundered punches in a round and have their stamina hardly go down.

Yeah, that's another major problem in the online, besides the easy referees.

I wonder if EA tested the damn game at all. And now with the buttons coming in a future patch, online will suck again.

Yeah, that's another major problem in the online, besides the easy referees.

I wonder if EA tested the damn game at all. And now with the buttons coming in a future patch, online will suck again.

Once someone starts puching you like that online it seems too hard to get out the way its just punch after punch it could be so good online with a few modifications.