IGNORED

Madworld Wii

neoELITE

I still think this is great - it's a very different beast to God Hand, and I'm not sure the comparison is fair to either game. This is more about the spectacle, and about trying to take out multiple opponents at once, whereas God Hand is like a series of separate individual encounters, where dodging and perfect timing of your attacks is key. Madworld is a lot looser, but it simply wouldn't have worked with motion controls had it been closer to God Hand's fighting system. And you'd miss the physical nature of some of the moves.

I'm not the kind of person who plays games several times over, but I've kept this with every intention of going back to it at some point. Which certainly says something for it. I've played better games this year, but there's something quite undeniably thrilling and different about Madworld which I think makes it one of 2009's most interesting games at least.

And the commentary - repetitive though it can get at times - is just brilliant. Particularly during the end credits.

Definitely, it's one of the greatest games ever made.

Really? I thought it awful beyond words. Dull repetitive combat mixed with unintelligible visuals. Games like this and No More Heroes have fostered the belief that 'hardcore' games (whatever they may be) don't sell on the Wii due to complicated theories about the Wii's userbase and poor marketing and so on. I suspect they didn't sell mainly because they're not very good games.

Really? I thought it awful beyond words. Dull repetitive combat mixed with unintelligible visuals. Games like this and No More Heroes have fostered the belief that 'hardcore' games (whatever they may be) don't sell on the Wii due to complicated theories about the Wii's userbase and poor marketing and so on. I suspect they didn't sell mainly because they're not very good games.

He was referring to God Hand there

No More Heroes did sell pretty well - certainly, it's comfortably Suda's biggest-selling game, and it shifted enough copies to make a sequel financially viable. Don't believe all the doom-mongering about third-party sales on Wii.

I concur with those who say it is a brilliant game. But it only clicked with me once I got a fair bit in (the castle level) so I had to work at it. It's probably not a coincidence that this is where it first gets hard, I think the problem is that some of the earlier levels are far too easy.

Some of the later environments are genius.

The US version also had borders?

OK, so I got hold of the US version of Madworld, removed the PAL version from my HDD and ripped the US version to the HDD in its place.

And it's got borders. I tried changing my Wii's settings to 16:9 and this removed the borders, but it's a pain in the ass to do this each time I want to play a different game.

What's going on, guys? Why does the NTSC-U version have borders like the PAL version? I tried force booting it in NTSC mode, and it booted, and the safety screen was fullscreen, but right after that, the Sega logo screen was bordered, as was the rest of the game.

I'm running it on a US Wii, through S-Video on to a UK, 4:3, SD CRT TV.

Can someone with the US version comment on this... WHY DOES IT HAVE BORDERS?! I'm running the NTSC version on an NTSC machine through S-video, it should be fullscreen!

:(

I thought that, but then that would mean there is absolutely no different whatsoever between the PAL and NTSC versions.

In which case my ranting, and everyone else's ranting has been about nothing.

I tracked the NTSC one down specifically so as to not have borders. It's running identically to the PAL version... :(

• 4 weeks later...

A little bit more....

For 8 quid, it's definitely worth it.

In all honesty, I think it's a little bit too gory- yeah, it's got cartoon/comic book style gfx, but it just seems a little "too much" to me. Gameplay wise it does seem really similar to the beat-em-ups of old (Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, Final Fight etc) but with the gore and combo's turned up to 11. It also reminded me a little bit of Renegade, which I suppose was the prequel to Double Dragon... (I can't be arsed remembering the Japanese name for the River City Ransom series.... hmmmm)

Only complaints is that a) it's too gory (I'm a boring old fart, and the wife just will not like it if I play this when she's in the room), it's really loud (again, being boring- I had to turn the music down, add that to the shouting from the commentators... it can be a bit of a battering to the senses) and the camera seems a bit shit for it. Maybe it's because I'm just getting used to it, but the targeting/lock system seems really shit- it just seems really hard to lock onto someone (especially when there's a group of people) and hit them. Which adds to my last complaint- it's sometimes just a bit too confusing. Again, it might be me getting too old, but the GFX don't really help on the confusion front. Even if they had made the characters a slightly different colour, it might have helped.. a little!

Apart from those complaints it does remind me of a more simpler time of gaming- which is always good. Yeah, there's a few faults with it, but it does have quite a bit of "charm" to it.

But no way would it be worth full price- but £10-20 (which seems to be a common price for it) is pretty good.

I really don't know why SEGA just didn't release this, HOTD, Samba De Amigo and NiGHTS for £20 launch price. They probably would have got a lot more sales as all of them just don't warrant full price. Maybe explains why most of them ended up cheap quite soon.

8/10 - could be a future classic due to the limited number of similar games, I wonder if there will be a Retro Gamer article about it in 10 years time? ;-)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Just bought this for a ridiculously low price at HMV. Looking forward to giving it a bash tonight - AND THEN PLAYING THE GAME, HO HO HO

PM'd

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There you go... About 6 months after getting it I decide to fire it up tonight.

What a blast!

A total riot and good fun to play. I just took out Jude the Dude and did a genuine lol with at the mega waggle carnage finishing move... I also find the commentators genuinely funny. I think ill enjoy this for a while...

Man Darts was a laugh as well. I even got a bullseye! :)

• 1 year later...

Just started playing this the other week, after picking it up brand new for a measly £4.

What I thought was a brilliantly fun game at first (Platinum!), has now turned into a slodge. Yup, I'm doing that castle dungeon level for the 5th time now, hoping to beat that frustrating as hell Frankenstein boss.

But having read through most of this thread, it seems to be worth it, so I'm sticking with it just a bit longer...

EDIT: Beat the Frankenstein boss, but the game never really seems to pick up after that. One is another battle on the motorcycle (which was alright), and then there's the showdown against the giant robot, which was lame as hell; just wait for the rocket launcher to respawn and shoot the bastard. And the less said about the Area 66 level the better.

*sigh* It had potential, but it really turned out a one-trick pony. Still, wel worth the £4.

EDIT': So the last boss was rather fun to fight, and finsihing him off was delightful. The ending credits were pretty amusing as well, and if not, at least original. I feel like going back, but there's some parts that are just plain boring. Who knows.

Guess Platinum were still trying to find their feet with MadWorld...