IGNORED

Madworld Wii

neoELITE

Another superb vid,

Ninjas, bloodshed, a pirate hat, cool music... Game is made of win!

"Put the kids to bed, because you don't want them to see this?"

"Do you really want them to see everything up to this point?"

"Sure, why not? Don't want to raise a society full of pussies."

Amazing video, but I think there's a worrying amount of waggle going on :ph34r:

I actually played two levels of this back in december, and it was pretty fun. Not 9/10 kind of fun, but 8/10 kind of fun if the set-pieces remain fresh and exciting throughout the whole game, 6/10 kind of fun if those first two levels set the standard for the whole game. It was neat to play (and the controls worked pretty good) but it did feel a bit shallow on the whole. A God Hand it was not.

This is exactly how I've been fearing the game would turn out. I love the ott violence, and I really dig the art style and comic style presentation, everything down to the BIFF/KERBLAM text effects, but overall, the game does look like it can be shallow as fuck.

It doesn't really aim to be another God Hand though, does it? If that Eurogamer preview is anything to go by, it's more akin to The Club and Resi 4's Mercenaries, in that you have to go for the best possible kill scores and try to keep the flow going. And it's all stylish as fuck, which is more than enough for me.

And it seems the story is quite interesting as well.

Apparently, Yasumi 'Vagrant Story' Matsuno is involved.

Played this for about half an hour 'at the office' today.

It seems pretty fun, but not all that deep and all. And although stylish with it's black and white colour scheme (with lots of red), it occurred to me that a lot of models have lots of rough edges and bland textures. Bit of a shame.

I've decided to drop this for now in favour of Street Fighter IV, but perhaps I'll get it after that first price drop.

Matsuno's on this so my interest level spiked, but I've never seen it in motion or really followed it. These videos... I don't know what's up exactly as I'm not the type to shy away from violence in games but I'm just finding them horrible. I find myself involuntarily grimacing through them. I'm not getting all Ban This Sick Filth or anything, but I'm curiously turned off by it all.

Matsuno's on this so my interest level spiked, but I've never seen it in motion or really followed it. These videos... I don't know what's up exactly as I'm not the type to shy away from violence in games but I'm just finding them horrible. I find myself involuntarily grimacing through them. I'm not getting all Ban This Sick Filth or anything, but I'm curiously turned off by it all.

Interesting.

Well, it's certainly one of the most violent things I've ever seen, but it's so stylized and over the top that it never becomes too shocking for me. Something like Gears or GTA (like the first mission in TLaD in which Billy hits a guy in the face with a sledgehammer) hits far harder than this I think.

I really like the style and I hope it stays interesting for the duration of the game. But it should be, these guys from Clover (now Platinum) are some of the most talented guys in the industry as far as I'm concerned. MadWorld stays firmly on my list, but I anticipate Bayonetta and Mikami's new game more.

Well, I'm 31 and think it looks fun as hell so I doubt age has anything to do with it. :)

As long as it's a fun game, it's not pointless. If the style is all the game has for it, it's another story but these guys did Viewtiful Joe, the first Devil May Cry, Okami and God Hand, so they kinda know how to fuse style with gameplay.

As for gratuitousness, I've watched the vid a couple of times now and still think the chainsaw kills in Gears are more violent as it's graphics are less cartoony.

I think the director mentioned Tom and Jerry, and I certainly see that influence here. Even though Itchy & Scratchy would probably be an even better point of reference. ^_^

Itchy and scratchy had humour. That video was not even slightly funny. It was just relentless macho violence. And I found the 'bitch' banter in the background just nasty. The only thing that came to mind was C-rate hip hop and Manhunt. I'll stick to world of goo.

I write views on behalf of no one but myself.

Obviously. :)

Of course I understand that this is not for everyone. What is though?

But yeah, something this stylized, crazy and violent will probably divide opinions a lot more than most titles.

As long as the people who do look forward to it are not labeled as tasteless idiots it's fine by me.

I have no problem with the style. The style and pedigree of the title had me, a wii owner with very few games, very excited. I just think its incredibly depressing that such talented developers have made something so utterly lacking in charm and intelligence. I am sick sick sick of mindless violence being heralded as some kind of brave anti-establishment genius. This is not just in regards to videogames. Its film as well. Its fucking creative stagnation. Waggle your wiimote to decapitate the same old fucking thug with the same old fucking chainsaw. Only now its cel shaded and in black and white. Give me a break.

Pah. I'm still looking forward to it and I haven't said that about a Wii game since Mario Galaxy.

I for one do think it looks charming and creative and I certainly don't see any game out there that are quite like it.

I can't really believe these guys have made a shit game, it would be their first.

Then again, there's a first time for everything.

It feels like an engine game to me. Build a great engine to fuel a revolutionary game... only to realise you don't have the budget to be in any way revolutionary... so you use the engine to make a crude and commercially viable game... ony to realise you have an indie reputation to keep so you make it an anethema to other games in as cheap a way as possible (more gore and no colour).

And how do you sleep at night?

You tell yourself you'll use the profits to make the revolutionary game you wanted to make all along.

You tell yourself you'll use the profits to make the revolutionary game you wanted to make all along.

You think so? I'm not sure this will be commercially viable at all.

There's a reason Capcom shut down Clover. Not because the games weren't any good, they just didn't sell (enough).