IGNORED

Madworld Wii

neoELITE

This isn't viewtful joe. This is manhunt, mortal kombat, and any other number of brainless beat em ups whose main selling point is seeing just how gruseome it can be. If it gets any kind of marketing it will sell. And it will in the uk, thanks to the tabloids.

This isn't viewtful joe. This is manhunt, mortal kombat, and any other number of brainless beat em ups whose main selling point is seeing just how gruseome it can be. If it gets any kind of marketing it will sell. And it will in the uk, thanks to the tabloids.

To me it's definitely more Viewtiful Joe than Manhunt (did that sell btw?) or Mortal Kombat. Those have a certain kind of realism that is entirely absent here. Like Viewtiful Joe, this is incredibly OTT and stylized, the fact that it's more violent doesn't change that.

I hope it sells though. I'm rooting for Platinum Games, Hideki Kamiya in particular.

As for the qualities of the game itself, we'll have to see how it pans out. Perhaps it's not nearly as brainless as you think.

Itchy and scratchy had humour. That video was not even slightly funny. It was just relentless macho violence. And I found the 'bitch' banter in the background just nasty. The only thing that came to mind was C-rate hip hop and Manhunt. I'll stick to world of goo.

Don't play HOTD: Overkill, you'd faint.

Well, I'm 31 and think it looks fun as hell so I doubt age has anything to do with it. :)

As long as it's a fun game, it's not pointless. If the style is all the game has for it, it's another story but these guys did Viewtiful Joe, the first Devil May Cry, Okami and God Hand, so they kinda know how to fuse style with gameplay.

As for gratuitousness, I've watched the vid a couple of times now and still think the chainsaw kills in Gears are more violent as it's graphics are less cartoony.

I think the director mentioned Tom and Jerry, and I certainly see that influence here. Even though Itchy & Scratchy would probably be an even better point of reference. ^_^

I referenced Itchy & Scratchy in this exact thread so I obviously agree with the above.

I don't think I'd let my kids play this but to be perfectly honest I haven't found anything remotely disturbing about any of the videos - the violence is so over the top and stylised that any argument claiming this as "nasty" is misguided. Ninja Gaiden 2 on the Xbox is far far worse.

• 3 weeks later...

It's actually rather good!

The waggle's a bit of a rolleyes as per usual, but it's all incredibly well presented, and the visual style is utterly spot-on. The 'adult' humour aspect of the game positively drips massive piles of soggy shit in the eyes of Overkill's MOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCK

ER MOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCK

ERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUC

KER MOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCK

ER

It's actually rather good!

The waggle's a bit of a rolleyes as per usual, but it's all incredibly well presented, and the visual style is utterly spot-on. The 'adult' humour aspect of the game positively drips massive piles of soggy shit in the eyes of Overkill's MOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCK

ER MOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCK

ERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERU

C

KER MOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCKERMOTHERFUCKERMOTHERUCK

ER

what WHAT?!

I'm going to have to start hatin' on some Wii stuff to restore balance to the universe.

:lol:

It really does do what it sets out to do rather well. I can't comment on whether that falls to shit later in or not, but it left a very good first impression.

Played through the first level last night and though it was pretty good. It certainly is one of the better looking Wii games. Most of the level was just a tutorial showing how you need to mix things up to get a good multiplier. However, maybe due to my lack of imagination, there did seem to be much reptition going on. Not of combos but of different things to build them from. Hopefully each new area will introduce more than just the pole, type and trash can I had. Saying that to in between the normal fighting there were quite a number of unique incidents and challenges.

Played through the first level last night and though it was pretty good. It certainly is one of the better looking Wii games. Most of the level was just a tutorial showing how you need to mix things up to get a good multiplier. However, maybe due to my lack of imagination, there did seem to be much reptition going on. Not of combos but of different things to build them from. Hopefully each new area will introduce more than just the pole, type and trash can I had. Saying that to in between the normal fighting there were quite a number of unique incidents and challenges.

Yeah I agree completely. Like you I only did the first level but even by then I was getting bored with the tyre -> sign -> spiky wall stuff.

However like God Hand I suspect I'll see some youtube vids by Saurian, realise how it CAN be played, and lose my shit and play nothing else for like three months. On first inspection though there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of depth there, and I don't see how it can have that deep of a combat system purely because of the limitations imposed by the remote/nunchuk.

Indeed.

Looks stunning and the controls make it feel suitable visceral but after the first level in all seems a little *whisper it* dull.

The enemies just stand there and take punishment and the bonus rounds so far seem to be along the line of ten pin bowling with men.

Hopefully it will pick up later on.