IGNORED

Album of the week #4: ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart

redbloodcell

61M9YSE6K9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Last.FM Stream

Amazon £7.48 Standard £3.99 Deluxe (from the Marketplace)

The Deluxe is what I'd recommend if you're buying of 'getting' as the 2 live tracks on it are great.

It took me a while to decide exactly what to put up here for consideration, but in the end I felt that this would be easier on the ears and the easiest to hear as its streamable. Although this isn't considered their best, Worlds Apart is definitely my favourite Trail of Dead album, and a different beast to either Madonna or Source Tags and Codes. Its a much more of a musical album than those previous, there's a lot of energy but its much more in check here. However, the pace is built on a wonderful grand, sweeping sound which carries through the album. I really like the way that the strings, piano and even a bit of trumpet are integrated into the songs, and they add to the feel immensely when they are used, even when its merely in the background. The sound itself seems to burst through like water through a breaking dam - full, thick and encompassing and so easy to be immersed, Its definitely one that needs a couple of listens IMO as its easy to drown in the sound the first time round.

One of the criticisms of the album I've heard is that it kinds tails off at the end rather than keep up the pace. Whilst its true it slows down I really like the sharp contrast, for example between the full force open throttled 'Will you Smile Again' and the slow rolling 'All White'. If you're looking for single tracks to sample those two are a great starting point, and I'd also give 'Caterwaul' a listen as its a fantastic track, and to me is a meeting of the sound they capture on this album and the sound of the previous ones.

So yeah, I'm not finding it all that easy to articulate but give it a listen and give your own opinions! Alternatively if you've already got/heard it slap it on again and bask in it for a bit!

Album of the Week #3: Captain Beefheart - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)

Album of the Week #2:Pharoahe Monche - Desire

Album of the Week #1:Burning Airlines - Identikit

Great album save for the last song, no getting around the fact it's a bit poo, other than that it's an under-rated album by them. Source tags and codes is still my fav but this has will you smile again? and the rest will follow, as well as caterwaul. Can't believe i've never see them live :rolleyes:

I do have all of these albums of the week saved in a folder in favourites. I'm listening to them it's just taking a while!

I'm not going to listen to this as a political tit-for-tat reprisal for the ignored Pharoah Monche album.

I listened to it, it was good!

Great album save for the last song, no getting around the fact it's a bit poo, other than that it's an under-rated album by them. Source tags and codes is still my fav but this has will you smile again? and the rest will follow, as well as caterwaul. Can't believe i've never see them live :rolleyes:

I do have all of these albums of the week saved in a folder in favourites. I'm listening to them it's just taking a while!

They played near me just after I moved back home but I found out the day after. I was absolutely gutted! :(

I could never get into this band, despite trying most of their records.

It all seems like a lot of bluster with very little of interest going on.

I got Source Tags and Codes when it came out because I loved Mistakes and Regrets so much, but apart from the first two songs I thought exactly the same. I'm going to give this one a try though as they should be the sort of band I'd love in theory.

Shamefully I had never heard of these people and I was worried it was going to be some shouty metal album.

It's not. Indeed, this is rather nice so far (streaming on Lastfm). I think I'll listen to the whole thing!

I was worried about people thinking that, I may just put a disclaimer into the subtitle!

I'm really enjoying this. Not quite finished it yet, but there's some good stuff here and I think I might buy this one.

The singer's voice annoyed me on one song - I think it might have been on Summer of '91 - but it's fine in most other songs.

Give their previous 2 a listen as well, They're a bit different but still excellent.

I got Source Tags and Codes when it came out because I loved Mistakes and Regrets so much, but apart from the first two songs I thought exactly the same. I'm going to give this one a try though as they should be the sort of band I'd love in theory.

Yep. Always a band I'm sure I should like in theory, but there don't seem to be any hooks or anything in the lyrics that really resonate in any meaningful way.

I'l be honest and admit that I first heard of them in a Melody Maker article that accused them of being second-rate Sonic Youth copyists and I've never really shaken that. It's kind of unfair, I know, but I expected them to clang and roar like Sister-era SY and instead their stuff sounds kind of murky and directionless to me. It's tough getting past that initial disappointment.

mistakes and regrets is madonna.

Enjoyed this, listened through a couple of times and it's definitely a grower. Starts very strongly too, it's great up until Caterwaul after which it goes a little downhill. Far more conventional than I was thought the band would be too, I was expecting something more distorted and angular - blame the name, as good as it is.