IGNORED

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Sng

I've just started playing this and might create and get all 8 classes to level 10 to get a sense of which one or two I want to stick with and go through the story with. I'm guessing I need to sub to be able to have 8 chars active?

I'm happy to sub once to unlock permanent upgrades but what is this referral system I here mentioned? Should I use that whilst subbing?

The Trooper is basically a Star Wars version of Mass Effect, it's great fun, if I had to pick an order for the stories it'd be

Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior

Imperial Agent

Sith Inquisitor

Republic Trooper

Bounty Hunter

Smuggler

Jedi Consular

• 5 months later...

It looks like they're trying to massively reduce the ability bloat, they have the new class levelling/ability system for the Jedi Guardian on the PTS and it looks like all classes will be losing about 25-30% of active abilties. Those abilities aren't all going away it seems (don't quote me on this) but rather you get choices every 5 levels between 2 abilities and choose which ability you'd prefer to have and you choose between 2 passive abilities every other level that alters the abilities you've choosen.

It looks like they're getting rid of the 3 disciplines you curently have within a class (like I show in the first pic) and merging them into one flowing choice, you can still create those disciplines I guess with your choices but you can also create much more hybradised versions than the clear cut we currently have, it looks interesting but a lot of people seem upset with having to choose between 2 class defining skills and shouting about "dumbing down". I can't really comment until I've had a proper go of the system but the game really needs it, on my Guardian/Juggernaut and Sentnel/Marauder I use well over 30 abilities (second Pic) and I can imagine coming in as a new player it must be really daunting.

Another intertesting thing they are doing is removing the class restrictions for stories for the groups of Force users and Tech users, so you can now do the Inquisitor/Consular story as a sith warrior/Jedi Knight and vice versa and the Agent/Smuggler as the Bounty Hunter/Republic Trooper which is pretty cool. 

Untitled.jpg

2021-07-12.jpg

I used to play this back when it first launched with my two brothers. I was so hyped after Star Wars Galaxies got closed down for something to take its place. Although it was a lot different, I did enjoy my time with it (played for about a year), but my main gripe with it was the planets seem so cut and paste boring compared with WoW for instance. The stories were great though, amazing they did all the voice acting for conversation - plenty of gameplay for the money.

I am surprised they never brought this to consoles, seems like a missed opportunity after all this time. Maybe they are dumbing down all those abilities so they can make it more manageable for a potential console version.

I haven't played enough to say for sure, but those class changes sound like what Star Wars Galaxies went through.

Yeah, it's a shame this didn't come to consoles. 

I'm getting the feeling they might be angling for a console launch, they did say they had a huge announcement for the 10th anniversary. 

Personally I'd prefer a massive engine overhaul more than anything else, get a 64bit client and bring it up to dx 12 level at the least. 

Good time to do it, although I appreciate the controls may not lend themselves well to pads. It's clearly do-able, there's no end of PC/console cross play MMOs, but you get the impression they were designed that way from the ground up.

• 4 months later...

So there are some huge changes coming, classes are basically going away and stories will now become your intial choice of how to play with classses becoming playstyles, meaning if you want to play through the Jedi Knight story line as one of the consular advance classes, a Jedi shadow or sage then go ahead light and dark side alingment will now also affect your abilities, there's to much for me to explain here so I'll let the lovely SWTORISTA explain it all.