Star Wars: The Old Republic

Sng

• 1 month later...
The Sith in the past two games were pretty interesting, I thought. The Sith Academy thing on the first planet in KOTOR was cool to see, as it showed a lot of them to just be rather driven individuals (at least, that's what I can remember. It was quite a bloody while ago now).

That Sith Academy was fantastic. I was an out and out good guy by this point, but after I spent some time there, talking to the head of the academy, I actually felt tempted by the dark side!! And not just for shits and giggles in a "I'M EVILLOL!" way.

That Sith Academy was fantastic. I was an out and out good guy by this point, but after I spent some time there, talking to the head of the academy, I actually felt tempted by the dark side!! And not just for shits and giggles in a "I'M EVILLOL!" way.

Exactly. They were all cunts, sure, but more in a door-to-door salesman way.

Firstly - gamers dissing other gamers for being obsessive or having no-life etc. is both sad in a sense that we should share interests in the basic idea and sad in a sense that it's rather ironic. No game ever made was any more important than any other - they're all ways of killing time and nothing else...

REFORMED MMO players are the worst of course - they lacked self-control so everyone does too apparently - the 'Yahtzee' rant of "the time I spent I could have had a kid or written a novel" - amazingly many people DID do that, it wasn't the game which stopped you - it was YOU who stopped you.

Far more worrying than the possibility that this will be the Star Wars WOW (as LOTRO is CLEARLY Tolkein WOW) is that it will resemble the rolling shitfest that was SWG - a game which took some solid and high ideas and mixed them with 'idiot decisions' and 'nerdiness' making mush - and then they changed that mush, more than once, just when people had grown to LIKE that mush :lol:

Story-driven MMOs - it's not impossible, but you do run the risk of shoe-horning what the players can do which never works. MMOs, by definition, have to be open and endless - you can kill the badguy but he'll be back next week and another version of him will be alive for other people meanwhile - housing is permanent but death is a temporary annoyance only :)

I may be getting old but I neither look forward to this nor do I think I can even imagine what it may be like tbh - watching Warhammer smash into WOTLK and come off with a few braincells and a pocketfull of subscriptions left wasn't a pretty picture - and that was a solid contender which bettered WOW in many ways - so god help the next one...

I may be getting old but I neither look forward to this nor do I think I can even imagine what it may be like tbh - watching Warhammer smash into WOTLK and come off with a few braincells and a pocketfull of subscriptions left wasn't a pretty picture - and that was a solid contender which bettered WOW in many ways - so god help the next one...

You do sound a little like a bitter Warhammer Online player, from this bit.

Personally, I tend to think that whilst games like Warhammer Online and LOTRO can try to differentiate all they want, there are 7 million active subscribers for WoW and Guild Wars has sold over a million copies. Is there anyone left who'll play an MMO that isn't drastically different? I'm not saying that WAR et al aren't different to WoW, but to the untrained eye they looked similar and the semi-turn-based, click-to-fight combat was still central to both games.

All of these games require a reasonably large investment of time, from the likes of Guild Wars being on the lower-end of the scale, and EVE being higher - but even GW does take more time than most non-MMO games. These developers need to realise they're asking players to part with their characters that they've adventured with for so long, and to start from scratch with a new game - it would need to be enormously better, not just superior in a few notable areas.

All I'm waiting for are gameplay impressions from this, but to be honest, I don't have my hopes set high. What I want is an MMO Jedi Academy/Force Unleashed, not really an MMO KOTOR.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if anyone has seen the vids but considering the game isn't even in alpha yet and is probably 4 years away, it's looking fucking goooood. Personally I love the stylised look. It's not quite Clone Wars but it's not quite KOTOR either and listening to the developer's decisions of why they chose this look makes perfect sense - it gives them a lot of creative flexibility and it won't just be Conan with Lightsabers. If you look at the biggest MMO the world has ever seen - World of Warcraft - you will see that amazing graphics do not matter when you have fantastic art direction.

I said it in some other thread and it still rings true here - all the games that have gone hell for leather on the graphics front don't have an ounce of WOW's style or charm. Conan was hyper realistic and, admittedly, very pretty but it had the charm of a tramp waving his cock about in a playground.

I'm really looking forward to the Old Republic now. Like someone else said, this is my gaming Mecca.

Easily my most anticipated game. Really like the idea of a story-driven MMO. The genre's been crying out for it for years, and if they get it right this could be something special. Exactly how it might work is anyone's guess right now, but if anyone can pull it off, it's BioWare.

Easily my most anticipated game. Really like the idea of a story-driven MMO. The genre's been crying out for it for years, and if they get it right this could be something special. Exactly how it might work is anyone's guess right now, but if anyone can pull it off, it's BioWare.

I am pretty sure though that the "story driven" MMO is more of a marketing tag than anything else. There is going to be a story arc for Jedi and a story arc for Sith which each player is going to experience in his/her own little private way. It will be more connected than WoW but it will not have any effect to the world. It's still going to be like a single player RPG in an MMO. That is certainly not a big deal. I would like more for the game to have the non instance/real time world with the attention to detail and immersion of WoW first.

This needs to be made for the 360. This could be huge on consoles if done right, one thing the 360 lacks are MMORPGs. This imo would be one title that would be more successful on consoles than it would be on PC. Most of the PC market are playing on WoW and I doubt very much that Old Republic will ever be that successful, on consoles however there is no real competition. Also add the fact that the previous KOTOR titles were hugely popular on xbox, it just makes sense.

I loved KOTOR, I love Bioware, I love MMOs but after having my mind broken forever by the utter pile of steaming shit that was Star Wars Galaxes and seeing the kind of people it attracted I wont be going near this with an enormous flaming bargepole +1.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face then, no? It's an entirely different game to Galaxies.

This needs to be made for the 360. This could be huge on consoles if done right, one thing the 360 lacks are MMORPGs. This imo would be one title that would be more successful on consoles than it would be on PC. Most of the PC market are playing on WoW and I doubt very much that Old Republic will ever be that successful, on consoles however there is no real competition. Also add the fact that the previous KOTOR titles were hugely popular on xbox, it just makes sense.

If Age of Conan proves it can translate to console, then aye, TOR certainly should.

I wouldn't say the 360 is devoid of MMOs, mind. FFXI is still going strong. A lot of my mates play it.

I wouldn't say the 360 is devoid of MMOs, mind. FFXI is still going strong. A lot of my mates play it.

Yeah, but we're talking about if TOW is going to be a WoW-beater, aren't we?

A lot of my mates play Guild Wars, EVE and FFXI. The difference with WoW though was that my mates played it, and their mates, and then even some of their mates who wouldn't normally consider playing an MMO.

A lot of my mates play Guild Wars, EVE and FFXI. The difference with WoW though was that my mates played it, and their mates, and then even some of their mates who wouldn't normally consider playing an MMO.

Are you saying the number of subscribers reflect how good the MMO is?

What does WoW (or Guild Wars, or EVE) have to do with FFXI (or any other MMO that might appear) on 360? ;)

I think you're getting the two discussions mixed up.

Also, ToW? Is Jonathan Ross narrating it? ;)

If by generic you mean every game has lightsabres then I couldn't disagree more strongly.

If by generic you mean 'wow with lightsabres' then you might be onto something.

Either way, you're blatantly wrong ;)

I mean gereric in a looks like every other done to death seen it a million times before Star Wars generic product in standard game area o vision.

What exactly is un-generic in those shots or videos?

I dont like Star Wars very much is the main reason.

The secondary reason is the videos look utterly generic and terrible.

And yet you loved KoTOR? ;)

I'd hardly call the stylised approach 'generic'. If anything it's quite the opposite, pitched somewhere between Mass Effect's quasi-photorealism and Clone Wars' exagerrated cartoon-like look.

The most important thing about an MMO for me is the community I play with, that is, those I meet online in the MMO world, not playing with those I already know.

This is one of the main reasons I don't play them anymore, and is the reason I found FFXI to be my favourite of them all. The community on the server I happened to be in was the friendliest I'd ever experienced, which lead on to genuine fun and adventure. You all get to know each other in world that isn't too full of players (a capped server), and you each get your own identities as a character, and you go from there.

The day I play an MMO again is the day they create one with thousands of non-interchangeable servers each capped at around 500 or so players, so after a few months everyone pretty much knows everyone, and their adventure is theirs together. The early years of FFXI was very, very close to a perfect MMO in regards to that, and I'd welcome something like that again.

What does WoW (or Guild Wars, or EVE) have to do with FFXI (or any other MMO that might appear) on 360? ;)

I think you're getting the two discussions mixed up.

I can see why you think that. What I was trying to say was that it was stated that FFXI is successful on the 360 because "My mates are playing it".

My point was that if TOR is going to be a WoW-beater, it has to go beyond that. You might have mates playing it, but despite that, it lacks something that WoW had at its peak - namely, you could honestly say without it being too much of a generalisation, if posed the question "who is playing WoW", "everyone is playing it".

I wasn't playing WoW at the time, as I was getting towards final year at uni and made the conscious decision that I wouldn't play it. I've since tried to on two seperate occasions, but I always crash out after a fortnight because, at the end of the day, I missed the boat - and when it comes down to it, I wasn't fond of the gameplay.

Even so, it was more than just a game at its height; it was a geek subculture phenomenon. Memes of it were everywhere online, Youtube was full of videos of it; funny vids, machinima, etc. And of course you had stuff like the South Park episode, the game featuring in the mainstream news media... FFXI was certainly "popular", but certainly in the west never managed this level of market penetration.

Again, I might seem as though I'm mixing up the two debates, but I'm really just trying to draw on both of them.

Also, ToW? Is Jonathan Ross narrating it? ;)

I was at work, my office was cold and my fingers were pretty numb :lol: I'm surprised I managed to type out the rest of that post correctly.

I mean gereric in a looks like every other done to death seen it a million times before Star Wars generic product in standard game area o vision.

What exactly is un-generic in those shots or videos?

It's Star Wars - of course it has a certain look. If it looked nothing like Star Wars you'd only moan ;)

• 2 months later...

The recent history of the Old Republic: http://www.swtor.com/info/timeline/timeline1

Yes, that really sounds in character, I must say. A Sith Emperor deciding that a war was taking too long so he proposes a ceasefire treaty? No, not too farfetched at all, no sir.

There was also an Joystiq interview with the lead writer recently, where he revealed this little gem:

"If you roll a Jedi character and you play them from the first level to the last level, and then you roll a Sith and you play them from the first level to the last level, you will not see one repeated quest, line of dialogue, or piece of content. It is a 100% different story experience."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. If any words are going to come back to haunt him, I bet it's those. Still, on a happier note, the Bounty Hunter class looks quite fun. As you'd expect, it's all about wrist rockets, flamethrowers and flying up into the air shooting the crap out of things below...but where's my HK class, hmmm? HMMMMM?

For fuck's sake.

Just watched that video Space Reporter Ulala posted, and it was brilliant right up to the last bit.

Here we go! Loads of interesting stuff! Look at all the interesting stuff that is going on! War! Conspiracies! Backstabbings! Jedi fighting!

Then watch as both sides "reach a stalemate" and there's an uneasy peace.

Why do we have to be in the uneasy truce bit where the two sides have stopped their major war? Do we need another MMO where all we do is observe the status quo? Just like in WoW, where the two sides have just finished the massive war in Warcraft III and now have returned to lick their wounds - THAT'S WHEN WE PLAY?!?!?

Why do we have to be in the uneasy truce bit where the two sides have stopped their major war? Do we need another MMO where all we do is observe the status quo? Just like in WoW, where the two sides have just finished the massive war in Warcraft III and now have returned to lick their wounds - THAT'S WHEN WE PLAY?!?!?

Wasn't Warhammer set in the middle of a huge war, with proper city invasions, razing enemy buildings and ting? I never played it, but I thought I read that was one of its big 'WoW doesn't do this!' selling points.

Not that WoW was without its own wars. The Horde and Alliance were just warring against the same enemies, from opposite sides.

Not that WoW was without its own wars. The Horde and Alliance were just warring against the same enemies, from opposite sides.

That makes little difference though if it isn't going on in-game; and I don't just mean that players can fight each other. I mean situations where the whole map can change; where players can conquer whole countries, destroy enemy fortresses and build their own from the ashes.

The nature of WoW, with its carefully designed locations obviously makes that infeasible - but something like Star Wars doesn't have that difficulty. I want the game to take place during a period of massive civil strife, warfare on an epic scale, cities being razed from the ground, planets being glassed and conquered by invading forces, dark and secret rebel conspiracies on occupied worlds... I want SHIT TO HAPPEN. Not just allow players to be able to do things on their own or in small groups. I want to be stood on Tatooine when enemy star cruisers fill the skies and the populace starts running for the spaceport to try and run the blockade off-planet before the Sith land troops in Bestine and demand fealty from the local people.

Not just "pick a side at the start of the game. Fight players from the other side when you see them."

And I DON'T want it to "kick in" after 6 months of continuous, repetetive, BORING play. I want it from the beginning and throughout the game. Interesting PvP gameplay should not be a "reward" for extended play, it's a pre-requisite for a purchase.