IGNORED

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Sng

Aye, they've said it will be. But, as they (unlike Guild Wars) are charging a monthly rate, they have more of a reason to try and keep people bashing away between updates, rather than just playing in short bursts with breaks inbetween.

There's no reason that the updates couldn't be more frequent and shorter though.

Aye, they've said it will be. But, as they (unlike Guild Wars) are charging a monthly rate, they have more of a reason to try and keep people bashing away between updates, rather than just playing in short bursts with breaks inbetween.

Don't forget that one of the things mentioned in that leaked plan is replayability through multiple story paths. If each chapter ends differently depending on the decisions you make throughout it it makes sense that the next chapter might start off in a slightly different place. Having a story that sprawling would rarely happen in a single player game because the cost just wouldn't be feasible, but with a monthly fee funneling cash into a game that doesn't consider most of the stuff that bulks out most MMORPGs, a story that's truly unique to each player character (which I believe was something Bioware have said they'd wanted to do right from the start) could be possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I had zero interest in this game up until that trailer. I'll probably still not get it as I am too tight to pay a subscription for a game, plus if I did I'd probably not play other games. After seeing that though I am exited about the game and thinking maybe I will try it. I know it's only a cinematic but it was a bloody impressive one. Not keen on the slow mo parts though, I am sick to death of slow mo in films these days.

Why do people keep saying that? In places Mass Effect was one of the most thrilling games I've ever played. Why can't Bioware deliver something of a similar standard in The Old Republic?

You've answered your own question.

It's an MMO. Clearly the experience won't be as tight as ME.

Thats exactly my problem.. We never see anything in-game replicating that sort of glorious cinematic, and I dont mean just in terms of visual fidelity. I mean in the variety and excitement of the combat itself. All the same it is a nice video.

Why do people keep saying that? In places Mass Effect was one of the most thrilling games I've ever played. Why can't Bioware deliver something of a similar standard in The Old Republic?

Because they never have before, and never will in such a restrictive, shitty playground that is the MMO genre.

No, I said that judging by the dev team's pedigree Star Wars: The Old Republic has the potential to be just as exciting as that CG trailer. There's more to excitement than hitting people with glow-sticks.

I'm very sceptical with regards to their claims of pulling off multiple amazing stories, to be honest. You never know, though.

I'm very sceptical with regards to their claims of pulling off multiple amazing stories, to be honest. You never know, though.

Ever the optimist.

I have utter faith in Bioware, to the point where i think Lucas should stop piling money into those Clone Wars cartoons (even though i do like them) and pay the people who did that cinematic, give them a fuck ton of money and give us a KOTOR triology that is as kick arse as that trailer.