IGNORED

Gran Torino - New Clint Eastwood Directing/Acting gig

Goose

Don't get the poor acting complaints myself. Which characters did you all feel didn't hit the mark?

Everybody bar Clint. In fact Clint's growling grew corny too.

I really don't want to rock the thread n all that...after the response on here I'd built-up some personal hype and it fell short.

I agree, though, to be honest. Clint was great when he wasn't growling. The young girl from next door was good. Her brother was absolutely terrible and the priest was passable at best. I think the bets supporting actor in it was the barber. They were probably the best bits in the film as well.

Enjoyed it, and liked the way it fucked with your expectation at the end, but it was more than a tad silly in places.

Don't get the poor acting complaints myself. Which characters did you all feel didn't hit the mark?

I thought the kid, the hoodlums and the priest all warranted a standout mention. And not for anything positive. Like I said, I still very much enjoyed the film.

Yeah, i don't really get it. Maybe some people playing to their stereotype, but I thought that was the point? Not just racial stereotypes, but that of his sons and their brat kids.

Nothing to do with sterotypes, and all to do with poor acting from my point of view.

Yeah, I was a bit let down by this. I've been trying not to post until I've seen it again (I think I might not have been in the mood the night I saw it). But...

I thought most of the acting bar Clint's was pretty poor. The young lass and her brother were faintly embarrassing to watch at times - the lad being the worst, though. Clint himself was fine most of the time, but just playing up to a cliche really.

The theme was ok, and it started off well enough, but the middle kind of sagged a bit. I didn't go for the racist-humour-as-just-good-old-fashioned-banter line, either. It felt a bit off; for example, I didn't find that scene in the barbers, where Walt tries to get the kid to "be a man" (i.e. be as insulting as possible to the other guy), funny or endearing at all, really. It's odd, but I heard Clint on some interview where he was basically saying "y'see, it's all political correctness gone mad. There's nothing wrong with a bit of racist banter as long as it's not meant to harm" (or words to that effect). And when I heard that, the film (which had seemed somehow forced and awkward in many of its sentiments) kind of fell into place for me:

I thought the film was at heart a bit of reactionary, Daily Mail reader (or whatever the US equivalent is) nonsense. Sure, Clint uses his great screen persona to make it succeed far more than it deserves to on paper, and he gets lots of credit for the film due to the love people (including me) have for him. But if this had been made by some other old grump, it'd be assessed at a far lower level.

Nice enough ending, and Clint is, well, Clint. But this is nowhere near the quality of his best work, and its got some distinctly duff, even unsavoury, aspects to it. It just really didn't work for me at all overall, which I'm genuinely sad to say.

I saw this and Watchmen the other day, and although they are totally different films, I enjoyed this much more. I never read reviews much anymore, and try to avoid the hype, and only saw this as 5 star rated by some crappy films mags, the sun etc etc. I loved it, although its nothing new, it was enjoyable.

I don't see why some people in this thread said some of the acting was bad, nothing struck me as stand out noticable. I would agree that some of clints grunting was borderline annoying in places though :o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw this yesterday and I have to admit, I shed a tear at the end like a pussy :rolleyes: I just found the film quite emotional. The death of Walt's wife and the way it seemed to leave him completely alone. I got a sense that his wife was the only person who he actually loved and related to, and from the start he just seemed to be looking around and seeing the decay and death of everything he held dear. The kids being disrespectful, his son owning a foreign car, the neighbourhood falling appart, and of course

the fact that he himself seemed to have a terminal illness and he was about to die. It's this fact that he seemed to be realising he would die alone, and the way he went about at first not caring, then trying one last time to connect with his son and finally finding in his neighbours that sense of respect and integrity that he thought he had lost. It made me sad because it's like he realised all too late that the things he thought were dead were actually surrounding him all the time.

The film had be laughing quite a lot too, which I didn't expect. I mean, most of it was just Walt's insane behaviour and uncompromising attitude, but it was a good contrast to the venomous hate he displyed at the start. Oh yeah, the the "what are you doing spooks?" bit was amazing, the whole cinema was cracking up. His character really did seem like he wasn't just threatening them for the sake of it, you felt he really would

blow the black guys away if they didn't do what he said

One final image that stays with me is when the gang is driving by his house to intimidate him and he stares them down and then threatens them by making a shooting gesture at them. There's something so awesome about it, the way it doesn't seem like someone just putting up a front but rather the gang thinking they are the predators circling their prey yet they are just lambs circling a wolf.

EDIT: As an aside, I remember reading a rumour ages ago, that at one point WB were considering lining Eastwood up as an old Bruce Wayne for a Batman Beyond (I think) film. It was complete bollocks of course, but Gran Torino made me realise that that would be an amazing piece of casting!

One of the things I thought when I walked out was "they need to do a future scene in the next Batman film and have Clint as an old, retired Batman".

My Dad didn't believe that Clint Eastwood's character would ever do what he did in the end. Fucking idiot.

To me it seemed true for several reasons, but mainly

because he character was dying anyway, and this seemed like a way for him not to waste his life

I loved it too. It's the funniest film I've seen all year.

"What are all you fish heads looking at?" :)

I did think the actor playing Tao was pretty terrible, though. He was basically Daniel-san in The Karate Kid but worse. When he's rattling against the locked door in Walt's basement it was like... that was the best take?

But yeah. Walt threatening everyone with his 1911 was badass. Guns are so cool.

Have to said id read really mixed reviews of this movie, so wasnt expecting too much.

I did really enjoy it in places, did think the acting let it down a little but considering that all bar one of the hmong people had never acted before and where just from the local community i thought they did incredibly well.

I agree that the preist came across a little wet, but as the film went on, i got to liking him more and more.

And like a girl tears ever so slightly streamed down my face at the end, even though i knew he was going to die before i went to see the moving, though the ending worked really well, there was no ridiculous escape plot to the problems. Suprised me how drawn in to the movie i was by the end.

overall a mixed bag i think, clint having some amazing moments even with the cheesy growling. i think the movies second half really worked.

You guys have totally misread his growling. It's played for comedy. It's hilarious. The entire audience was laughing every time when I saw it.

ack, i get it, i just dont thing its that funny, its an (even with respect for the clintmister) old guy over the top growling, actually growling, just doesnt do it for me. I will agree with finding it funny at first, but after the god knows how many time i just found it a little embarassing, just my taste i guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this last night. While it as a good movie, I didn't think it was a masterpiece in any way. The entire story was on cruise control from start to finish, it was all very predictable, and Clints growling was getting on my tits towards the end.

7/10

• 2 months later...

Did no one else find the girl a bit wooden? Some of her lines sounded like she was reading them off an autocue, like she'd never read or rehearsed them before filming.

Quite an enjoyable movie all in all.

I like the fact that in the end he didn't get drunk and go in all guns blazing.

I loved this movie. But I wish there had been a 5 minute coda at the end, where you get to see the

bad guys all getting raped in prison, in real time. Sure the boy got his Gran Torino at the end and carried forward the legacy of the United States of America, but I needed closure.

Clint was amazing in this film, though, one of his all-time best performances. It was much better than Million Dollar Baby and Flags of our Fathers, too.

The kid's lack of acting prowess brought me out of the movie, unfortunately. It was pretty terrible. I'm wondering whether, when they were casting, they thought the kid's lack of ability was a kind of reverse expression of the character's social ineptitude. It didn't work though - especially when he was called upon to get the least bit passionate about anything.

Like Crispin said a while back - was that really the best take when he's screaming at Clint after he locks him in the basement?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Did I watch a completely different film to everybody else? This was dreadful from beginning to end. Clint is every bit as shit as the non-acting cast. He is great in Westerns but despite this transporting the genre to modern day America his performance is just incredibly hammy which means when you get to the big emotional moments I ended up laughing rather than being drawn into the film. The script is one of the worst I've seen since Crash. From the opening funeral scene with cringeworthy exposition to the totally unbelievable characters and daft plotting the whole thing just stank.

• 2 months later...
Unfortunately not. This was just another in a long line of shite films directed by Mr Eastwood.

I honestly think Clint Eastwood's never made a bad film, some of them a bit disappointing compared to his other films but every single one of them I've enjoyed quite a bit. But then I'll fully admit I'm a complete Eastwood fanboy, any film he's in is made better simply by him being in it for me.

Just watched this and I'm with LC, for the most part. The acting is abysmal, the script hamfisted and Clint spends the entire film groaning like an old oak.

Kind of watchable if I was bored and it happened to be on telly, but there's nothing special about this film at all. I'm baffled by the praise.