PAL PS2 questions

xtremeboat

I'm thinking of picking up a slim PS2 to catch up on the PS1 and PS2 games I missed out on. I always stuck with Nintendo and Sega consoles, and with the DC and Cube I was spoilt by almost every game including 60hz modes. I know its become the standard now, but I remember the PS2 having its fair share of sloppy PAL conversions. Did this get better towards the end of the console's life, and would it be an issue? I remember MGS2 looking decent, and GT3 and 4 but thats about as far as my PS2 experience goes.

Pick up a US PS2. Your life will be so much more stress-free. There's just too many botched conversions on the PAL model - and all of these "optimised" versions run at a lower frame-rate regardless, and will STILL be a little slower.

See - MGS games.

You'll need a network adaptor for the PS2 and a standard PC HDD (you won't likely need more than 120GB). Plus you'll need to burn HDLoader (which is free to download) to a CDR. Your PS2 will boot from it's optical drive as normal which will load HDLoader, which then lets you copy games to the HDD and load them from there (similar to a moded XBox). The only hitch is that you'll need a moded PS2 so it will boot the CDR with HDLoader on it. Some of the later mod chips let you boot HDLoader directly from the HDD so you never have to use the PS2 DVD drive again.

Get a 2nd hand moded PS2 (doesn't matter which region) from the Trading folder either here or NTSC-UK. I got one for a friend last year off here (messiah chip + aqua blue JPN PS2) for £60. Ebay will be the best bet for a network adaptor (approx. £20). You have to make sure that you have the right type of HDD as some models have the connector in a slightly different position and can't be fitted. Check this page http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list for compatibility.

Do you have a link for the USB exploit magic lord? I thought it was only certain mod chips that allowed you to boot from USB or HDD.

Not at hand, no. I did mine years ago (literally!) using an Action Replay to install the exploit. It's not booting from USB/HDD but via the PSOne game which triggers the exploit, executes HDL off the memory card which in turn reads the HDD if that makes sense! Google says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS2_Independence_Exploit

If I remove the PSOne game (Parodius :lol:) it boots like a regular PS2.

edit: Looking at the exploit there's a ISO which has all the files ready to dump onto a PS2 memory card which can be loaded via swap magic.

OK, that's not going to be any use to me then as my PS2 is Messiah-chipped so I just boot HDLoader from a CDR then load the games from the HDD via that. Some of the newer mod-chips allow you to boot directly from the HDD without needing anything in the PS2s DVD drive.

except the ps2 is usb 1.1, a thing best avoided when it comes to games

I must admit to thinking about doing this again (I did it years ago when the exploit was fairly new) so I can play jap shooters without the hassle of swap magic. Fattys are only £40 in Gamestation

But usb 1.1 fullspeed is 12mbit/s, PS2 CD read speeds are likely to be half that

Did this get better towards the end of the console's life, and would it be an issue?

Most of the PAL PS2 games I've played have 60Hz mode. Those that haven't, the vast majority have been properly converted.

When I got my modded PS2 years ago I had the opportunity to get US versions of all the PAL games I'd already bought but I found it just wasn't necessary. I've only come across one PAL game that was so poorly converted that I had to get a US copy and that was Ridge Racer V. There are some high profile bad conversions like Devil May Cry 1 and the Final Fantasy series but it's a minority.

If you want to play PS1 games that's different. Most PAL PS1 games I've come across were awful conversions. Your only option is to play the US versions only on a US PS2 or a modded PAL PS2.

IMO the best PS2 for all round fun must be a modded fatty with a hard drive and HDLoader. That will play anything and it's really convenient having it all on the hard drive. (PS1 games play off a disc though, not on the hard drive)

Failing that a modded slim would be nearly as much fun.

Definitely don't use USB advance though, I've tried that and it's nonsense.

Most of the PAL PS2 games I've played have 60Hz mode. Those that haven't, the vast majority have been properly converted.

When I got my modded PS2 years ago I had the opportunity to get US versions of all the PAL games I'd already bought but I found it just wasn't necessary. I've only come across one PAL game that was so poorly converted that I had to get a US copy and that was Ridge Racer V. There are some high profile bad conversions like Devil May Cry 1 and the Final Fantasy series but it's a minority.

If you want to play PS1 games that's different. Most PAL PS1 games I've come across were awful conversions. Your only option is to play the US versions only on a US PS2 or a modded PAL PS2.

IMO the best PS2 for all round fun must be a modded fatty with a hard drive and HDLoader. That will play anything and it's really convenient having it all on the hard drive. (PS1 games play off a disc though, not on the hard drive)

Failing that a modded slim would be nearly as much fun.

Definitely don't use USB advance though, I've tried that and it's nonsense.

Properly converted still = inferior PAL conversion.

That's being a bit pendantic though, aye? Though RGB it doesn't matter :(

Exactly.

The same speed at a higher resolution is inferior?

At the sort of resolutions most games on the PS2 use, I doubt the extra resolution does much. PAL should be superior to NTSC for films aswell, yet the gains from the extra vertical resolution are very rarely realised in practice. I imagine nearly all games target NTSC as their default output.