World War Z - Sequel finds director - Pitt to return

Goose

Sprinters? Fucksake. Zack just keeps on truckin', he doesn't need to run at you. Scale and time, not speed. That's what should be making Yonkers so terrifying and that's what should be making the Iron Maiden bit so fist-pumpingly good.

Sprinters are just very bloodthirsty people, ala rage-infected 28 days later zombies.

For a zombie to be a zombie it needs to be categorically different from the typical person, with different range of capabilities.

Robust, but with poor mobility and intelligence.

Otherwise it may as well be any other angry mob.

Fuck, give the zombies in that clip batons or clubs and it could be any other street riot.

• 3 months later...

Now a trilogy?

From Comingsoon.net

The big screen adaptation of Max Brooks' World War Z is headed to theaters on December 21st and even though the date strategically links the film's zombie apocalypse to the highly-publicized real world end date of the Mayan calendar, director Marc Forster already has an eye to the future. The film's leading man, Brad Pitt, today tells the Los Angeles Times that Paramount Pictures is planning a potential trilogy of World War Z films.

The story for the first film revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself.

The supporting cast includes Mireille Enos, Daniella Kertesz, James Badge Dale, Matthew Fox and David Morse and arrives from screenwriter Matthew Michael Carnahan.

Boy howdy, a PG-13 zombie film that appears to have ditched pretty much everything that made the source material interesting and brought to you by director of the shit-tastic Quantum of Solace, where can I pre-order tickets! Wonder if this will go the same way as other pre-announced trilogies like Van Helsing and The Chronicles of Riddick.

• 2 months later...

Apparently the delay is more down to marketing than anything else. People don't like 'dark' films at christmas like er, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which is clearly playing to the same market as this zombie disaster movie. :/

So they're replacing it with a film based on the Jack Reacher novels, which I know nothing about beyond this:

Reacher is a giant, standing at 6' 5" tall (1.96m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 210 and 250 pounds (100–115 kg). He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair

The actor playing this character? Tom Cruise....

• 2 months later...

Wow, seven weeks? You could reshoot most of the film in that time.

I wonder if they're re-tooling it to be closer to the book? IIRC, the story was going to follow Pitt on a quest to either find his family or get his family to safety during the apocalypse.

I imagine the book cost a few quid to option, and that whoever optioned it wanted to go the bigger, brasher route - Pitt's own production company are working on IIRC, so they'd have wanted to get him in on it. They figure if you've got Pitt in your movie, that's i) your selling point to studios etc ii) If you've got Pitt, you don't want him to cameo. All of a sudden, they decied the faux-documentary route isn't going to work and opt instead to have Pitt searching for his wife during an apocalypse that just happens to feature infected. If you've paid all this cash, you've got to go down the easy sell route.

I've always maintained they should have shot it totally straight, as a documentary about a world wide infection, like yourself, just like the book.

Why bother buying the rights to a book if you're then going to change it almost completely? It would've been cheaper to just option one of undoubtedly numerous other zombie scripts, or write something tailored to Pitt from scratch. Oh well, it might still be good I suppose...

Why bother buying the rights to a book if you're then going to change it almost completely? It would've been cheaper to just option one of undoubtedly numerous other zombie scripts, or write something tailored to Pitt from scratch. Oh well, it might still be good I suppose...

Hollywood does it quite often. The Running Man is a decent example as the book seems to be absolutely perfect for cinema yet the resulting film is very loosely based on the novel - it's basically just the concept and the character's names that are used in the film.

But... I completely agree with you. The best parts of the Romero movies aren't the gruesome deaths or the people vs zombies set pieces. I watched Dawn of The Dead last Wednesday (I always watch a Romero film on my birthday) and the best part of the film is the news section at the beginning where the experts are arguing over what to do and then the helicopter flight section where you get to see how society are reacting to what's happening. It sets it up as a believable plot and World War Z does exactly that as it's a documentary and the film should be a documentary. I've read the Deadline books and they're similar - obviously, the Zombie plague is the central theme/concept but it's how society reacts and changes that's interesting.

Cinema has really messed up some brilliant sci-fi novels and this looks to be the next one.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wrong-world-war-z/

At this point, it’s no secret that Paramount’s World War Z is in deep trouble. The zombie drama was moved from its December 2012 date to June 2013 to allow for significant reshoots, and Prometheus screenwriter Damon Lindelof was brought on board to rework the script. And all this after an already rocky production history that saw the studio trying and failing for years to get the project off the ground, throwing quite a bit of money at it along the way.

So what, exactly, went wrong? A new report points at a few different factors, and suggests that the movie was plagued with issues from the get-go. Read all about it after the jump.

THR went behind the scenes to get the inside scoop on what turned a once-promising project into an expensive headache. Their (mostly anonymous) sources don’t hold back; one even describes it as “a nightmare from top to bottom.” You can head there for the full details, but we’ll run down some of the major issues here:

• Marc Forster’s weakness as a tentpole director. Though he’s earned positive notice for films like Monster’s Ball, the critically derided Quantum of Solace was his only previous experience with a big, action-heavy project like this one. Among other things, his inexperience led to conflicts on set with the seasoned talents working under him and procrastination on major decisions like what the zombies would look like.
  • Consequently, a lack of a clear creative direction. Apparently the plan was to have Forster focus on character and story details while the experienced crew concentrated on action and effects, but splitting up those responsibilities only fostered confusion and dispute. “There was nobody that steered the ship,” one insider said. “When you get [a director] who can’t do it all … you get a struggle as to whose is the singular voice.”
  • A rushed production schedule. Sources say World War Z was given the greenlight before it was ready, perhaps thanks to producer/star Brad Pitt‘s relationship with Paramount CEO Brad Grey, and that the studio then pushed them to have it ready in time for the December 2012 release. For example, second-unit director Simon Crane was initially allotted just a third of the 60 days he wanted for second-unit work.

The more we hear about this project, the more worrying the signs appear. But if there’s hope to be found, it’s in the fact that the footage they do have apparently looks fairly good right now. “It’s a great first 45 minutes, maybe even an hour,” one individual said. Paramount film group president Adam Goodman said that the footage “looks fantastic, but we all agreed it can have a better ending.” So, it’s off to a decent start at least. We can only keep our fingers crossed that they’ll make the most of that extra reshoot time.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems Lindelof isn't re-writing the last act, just came up with a solution for it. Drew Goddard (Cabin in the Woods, Cloverfield, Robopocalypse) has been tasked with the actual job of writing it.